Protective Life

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Life Underwriter Interview

Interviewed at Protective Life

Interview Details – All done over the phone. Very easy. Listened to management talk mostly about their plans for the company.

Negotiation Details – Was able to obtain more salary due to not taking health coverage.

Summer Intern Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – Applied online. First round phone interview, then on site interview. Average interview questions. Nice people, no hard questions.

Interview Question – What is the thing that you feel most proud of? (it's a typical question for most interviews)   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
Birmingham, AL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Protective Life in October 2009.

Interview Details – Initially contacted via phone by HR and conducted a short interview to ensure a skills match with the job. Within 2 days I was contacted personally by the department President and invited to lunch with the team. I was taken to a very elegant establishment where it was evident that my manners and confidence in that atmosphere were important. The President of the department began with small talk and introductions, which lasted for around 15-20 minutes allowing everyone to get acquainted. After the main course various team members began a more integral part of my interview, which was very pleasant and comfortable. The team seemed to be well informed of my experience and skills before hand and were able to move past that quickly and into the heart of our discussion. It was evident that they were already fairly confident with my skills, and only asked a few questions on that subject. It was essential to the team that we all be a good match personally to keep the integrity and overall coherence within the department. It was a long, but very pleasant interview and at the end the President told me that he believed I would make an excellent addition to the team and he would be in touch soon. I received a call from him later that day I believe, if not the following morning, was offered the position, negotiated and came out with a better salary than I had set my hard line at. Overall, probably the best interview experience I have had in all my working years.

Interview Question – I was asked a specific accounting question and was asked to solve it at the lunch table, obviously with no tools to aid me. All went well and I was able to verbally walk the team through the stages of how I would work and steps to take in order to solve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate with the President of the department who made the offer and was given the salary I asked for without much of a fuss. After I began work there was a mistake that was that I was told I would be salaried and offered a salary, but was given a timed card and machine to clock in with by HR when I started. I went to the President and explained the situation and he said not to worry about punching in at all and he would take care of the transition for me. I never had to do anything to fix it myself. I felt very well protected and taken care of by my boss.

Internal Annuity Wholesaler Interview

Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Protective Life in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone Interview followed by 3-4 interviews on site and job shadowing.

Interview Question – Nothing outrageous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations on salary

Licensing and Contracting Interview

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – The Hiring process for temps is a background check and drug test and an intensive interview. They also require some additional testing.

Interview Question – There really were not any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating phase this was through a temp service.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – I had three phone interviews and one in-person interview. No skill tests or reference checks. Just the usual employment verification, drug screening and background checks.

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant

Interview Details – Met with the Department manager: Casual and very relaxed interview.
Asked general questions like what I liked and did not like about my past job.
Why should we hire you. Your strenghs. Your special qualities.
I was called again after 3 days to meet with the other manager and asked somewhat similar questions like the first interview.
Overall - very positive.

Interview Question – nothing in particular   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Cincinnati, OH

Interviewed at Protective Life

Interview Details – Was contacted via email to apply online for this position. They got back to me within a few days to schedule a phone interview, which was fairly brief and mostly informative about the position. After that I received a call to schedule an on-site interview in Cincinnati. The on-site interview lasted around an hour and consisted of meeting people around the office and a few resume-based questions. Overall it was a comfortable experience with little difficulty.

Interview Question – What is a time that you were in a leadership position and the group did not get along?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pursued other opportunities closer to my hometown.

Claims Assistant Interview

Deerfield, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Protective Life in December 2011.

Interview Details – About a month after I applied (I had actually forgotten applying), I got a call from an HR person to set up an interview, which was scheduled the Tuesday before Christmas. I was interviewed by the manager of the department, who asked a lot of situation questions (tell me about a time when...), and a few questions about my professional knowledge and software experience. He concluded by saying I seemed qualified but he had a lot more candidates to interview so I wouldn't hear anything until after the holidays. He seemed impressed that I had some experience with the scanning system they use and some supervisory experience, since the team lead might be retiring within the next couple of years. I went home, sent a thank-you email, and resigned myself to waiting.

The next day, the same recruiter who set up the first interview called to set up a second interview with her. the following week. This one was the same type of behavioral questions, but the atmosphere seemed more relaxed so I suspected this interview was probably just a formality. She called back later that day with an offer.

I think the trick to the behavioral questions is to be very detailed about the situation, the action you took, the results, and what you learned from the experience.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had to de-escalate a situation with an upset caller.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – The manager said during the first interview that the minimum I was willing to work for was on the low end of what they were offering, and the offer was for slightly more than the minimum I told him I could consider. Since I'd been unemployed for almost a year, I didn't put much effort into negotiating!

Very Easy Interview

Branch/Staff Manager Interview

Birmingham, AL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Protective Life in February 2009.

Interview Details – Received a phone call from someone from the company asking me to meet with them at a local hotel where they were conducting interviews for new staff managers. After telling the individual on the phone that I was NOT interested in talking with them about an insurance sales opportunity, they assured me it was a "Branch/Staff Manager's" position (I can't recall the exact term they used, but it was phrased in a way that it would be at their home office, an operational position rather than a sales position). When I got to the interview, I signed in then had a quick interview with 2 senior employees and then I filled out paperwork prior to entering what ended up being the presentation room. I was surprised, but not really that I had been lied to/mislead. I respectfully sat through the presentation and the presenter then called out 4 or 5 names of people there that they wanted to talk with about a position (the other 20 or so were dismissed at that time). I then left as soon as it was over and told the individuals I had talked with originally that I was not interested in their position and that I was obviously and blatantly lied to, no thank you. Had I not been unemployed, I would have completely shown my ass if I had taken off a day of work for this nonsense.
Later than afternoon about 3 hours later, another individual employee who was at the presentation and worked at one of the local offices called me to "set up an interview" in the branch. At that point, I let him have it in a much worse manner than the fellas at the interview site since I had told them I was NOT interested and NOT to call me. Gigantic waste of time.

Interview Question – They were all very basic questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – After telling the individual on the phone that I was NOT interested in talking with them about an insurance sales opportunity, they assured me it was a "Branch Manager's" position. When I got to the interview, it was a presentation on becoming an agent with them.

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Protective Life? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Protective Life interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Protective Life employees and interview candidates.