Protective Life

Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Senior Software Engineer

I applied in-person and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – Phone interview followed by an in person panel interview. The panel interview asked a bunch of "low level" software questions (think bit-shifting, no framework string manip, etc) even though it was for a web dev position where such skills are absolutely useless.

Interview Questions

Reason for Declining – Didn't ask me any technical questions about what my role would actually be. Did not seem to have a clearly defined roadmap for their group. Could not describe their development process.

Very Easy Interview

Business Systems Analyst Interview

Business Systems Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – Started with about a 15 minute phone interview with a lady from HR. Drove on-sight for an interview. I had to take a wonderlic test. Two reps from the analyst dept interviewed me. Not technical at all.

Interview Question – They just asked me about my experience.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Pay and the work didn't seem very relevant at all.

Life Underwriter Interview

Life Underwriter

Interviewed at Protective Life

Interview Details – All done over the phone. Very easy. Listened to management talk mostly about their plans for the company.

Negotiation Details – Was able to obtain more salary due to not taking health coverage.

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern

I applied online and interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – Applied online. First round phone interview, then on site interview. Average interview questions. Nice people, no hard questions.

Interview Question – What is the thing that you feel most proud of? (it's a typical question for most interviews)   Answer Question

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant
Birmingham, AL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Protective Life in October 2009.

Interview Details – Initially contacted via phone by HR and conducted a short interview to ensure a skills match with the job. Within 2 days I was contacted personally by the department President and invited to lunch with the team. I was taken to a very elegant establishment where it was evident that my manners and confidence in that atmosphere were important. The President of the department began with small talk and introductions, which lasted for around 15-20 minutes allowing everyone to get acquainted. After the main course various team members began a more integral part of my interview, which was very pleasant and comfortable. The team seemed to be well informed of my experience and skills before hand and were able to move past that quickly and into the heart of our discussion. It was evident that they were already fairly confident with my skills, and only asked a few questions on that subject. It was essential to the team that we all be a good match personally to keep the integrity and overall coherence within the department. It was a long, but very pleasant interview and at the end the President told me that he believed I would make an excellent addition to the team and he would be in touch soon. I received a call from him later that day I believe, if not the following morning, was offered the position, negotiated and came out with a better salary than I had set my hard line at. Overall, probably the best interview experience I have had in all my working years.

Interview Question – I was asked a specific accounting question and was asked to solve it at the lunch table, obviously with no tools to aid me. All went well and I was able to verbally walk the team through the stages of how I would work and steps to take in order to solve it.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate with the President of the department who made the offer and was given the salary I asked for without much of a fuss. After I began work there was a mistake that was that I was told I would be salaried and offered a salary, but was given a timed card and machine to clock in with by HR when I started. I went to the President and explained the situation and he said not to worry about punching in at all and he would take care of the transition for me. I never had to do anything to fix it myself. I felt very well protected and taken care of by my boss.

Internal Annuity Wholesaler Interview

Internal Annuity Wholesaler
Cincinnati, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Protective Life in September 2011.

Interview Details – Phone Interview followed by 3-4 interviews on site and job shadowing.

Interview Question – Nothing outrageous.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations on salary

Licensing and Contracting Interview

Licensing and Contracting

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – The Hiring process for temps is a background check and drug test and an intensive interview. They also require some additional testing.

Interview Question – There really were not any unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiating phase this was through a temp service.

Business Analyst Interview

Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Protective Life.

Interview Details – I had three phone interviews and one in-person interview. No skill tests or reference checks. Just the usual employment verification, drug screening and background checks.

Staff Accountant Interview

Staff Accountant

Interview Details – Met with the Department manager: Casual and very relaxed interview.
Asked general questions like what I liked and did not like about my past job.
Why should we hire you. Your strenghs. Your special qualities.
I was called again after 3 days to meet with the other manager and asked somewhat similar questions like the first interview.
Overall - very positive.

Interview Question – nothing in particular   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Intern
Cincinnati, OH

Interviewed at Protective Life

Interview Details – Was contacted via email to apply online for this position. They got back to me within a few days to schedule a phone interview, which was fairly brief and mostly informative about the position. After that I received a call to schedule an on-site interview in Cincinnati. The on-site interview lasted around an hour and consisted of meeting people around the office and a few resume-based questions. Overall it was a comfortable experience with little difficulty.

Interview Question – What is a time that you were in a leadership position and the group did not get along?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pursued other opportunities closer to my hometown.

Worked for Protective Life? Contribute to the Community!