Provide Commerce

Updated Oct 29, 2014
Updated Oct 29, 2014

2.6

Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Provide Commerce in October 2014.

They provided dinner which was alright. All the engineers and recruiters were really nice to talk to and approachable. After dinner, they led us into a room to code problems that they had set up on Eclipse. They were fairly straightforward, but still time-consuming. Afterwards, you had one on one time to talk to an employee to discuss your experiences.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral question was probably most difficult. They really wanted to know why you wanted to work there and what your interests were.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

The questions were reasonable during the interview. They asked me basic interview questions. I came prepared so it was not difficult. They asked my experience in customer service, what I would do if customers complained, etc.

Interview Questions
    • They have hypothetical troubleshooting questions that made you think on your feet.   Answer Question

Site Experience Manager Interview

interviewed at Provide Commerce in April 2014.

What a disorganized mess.

Applied for a position, internal recruiter got back to me indicating she'd like to chat. I followed up multiple times to set up some time, and then never heard from her.

A colleague of mine who was a friend of a manager in the department in which the position would reside connected me with that manager, who pointed me to HER boss (the hiring manager), who replied to my email and said my background was just what they were looking for, and then pointed me to – you guessed it – the original internal recruiter. This time she got back to me, and we had a good screening call. She said she was about to leave on a three-month sabbatical, but would send my file to her boss for next steps. I reached out to the boss via both LinkedIn and her direct email multiple times; no response.

Then the position appeared on Twitter from yet another Provide Commerce recruiter, so I reached out to HER. Her response was "feel free to apply on our site." Which. I. Had. Already. Done. She also turned me on to someone else on her team (a contractor recruiter who was filling in for the one on sabbatical, and who was the only person at Provide who regularly responded to me) but who told me that the job had already been filled internally and was mistakenly posted.

I would suggest that FTD, who has just acquired the company, overhaul the recruiting team.

Interview Questions
    • The screening call was pretty straightforward; nothing difficult or unexpected. I'm sure the fact that the recruiter was days away from leaving for her sabbatical didn't help.   Answer Question

Customer Service Representative Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Provide Commerce.

Very thorough

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Provide Commerce in January 2014.

The interviewing process is refreshing & devoid of the usual, uncreative questions, like 'Tell me where you'll be in 5-10 yrs'. It was more like an oral, then practical test. I found the interviewer seemed to stick to a script & if I interjected anything personal, he was receptive, but didn't engage in any conversation other than the company/job. I don't think he was being unfriendly, I think he wanted to come across as a fair & professional company rep.

An application is filled out first, then a tour is given by an employee, followed by a short list of questions (e.g., 'Describe a time when you went over & above providing the best customer service') & ending with a computer test in which cutting & pasting is done & you're asked to input names/addresses into specific fields accurately (some are in front of you on paper, others are read to you, as you'll be working with customers over the phone), then you're asked to change some data; it ended with an open book/Internet timed test on the computer to answer about 10 questions about the company and/or its products.

To prepare, read their entire website (not long, but you'll be asked about all parts of their website several times & they do offer more than flowers... chocolate, gifts, personalized gifts) so you come across as proactive in research, e.g., 'What attracted you most to Pro-Comm's company philosophy', or 'Explain our 10-day freshness guarantee' or 'Can you order candy & flowers together & will they ship at the same time'. Easy enough to read it all on their site over the course of an hour.

Resumes are submitted online. I was emailed 2-days afterwards & asked to call H.R. if still interested. An interview was easily scheduled several days later. The entire interview took an hour. I was hired the day after the interview for training the following week. FYI: Training is $9/hr, your regular work hours are at $10, regardless of time (no shift differential for 2nd/3rd shifts).

Please note: This company does all employee interaction via email... so check your email regularly if you're awaiting a callback. Also, should you be hired, they also give work schedules via email, so ensure you have a stable account & an easily accessible computer, which provides easy, daily access. In other words, don't use your current job's email or a friend/school's computer. At very least, set up your smartphone to receive email from the account they'll be using. As a temp employee, if you miss a shift, you're fired... if you come in late, you're fired the 2nd time. Not checking email for work times is no excuse. It's fair enough to expect PT temps to be reliable. These jobs last approximately 3-wks & you're normally invited to the next PT seasonal assignment (normally around major holidays), if it's completed successfully. You must reapply if you want to go to round 3 (I don't believe they interview again) & you'll only go through 16-hrs of training if there's a lapse of 6-mos in-between assignments. Good luck!

Interview Questions
    • None, but I read the entire website before interviewing... you'll be tested (verbally & on a computer test) on company info, products offered, company freshness guarantee, etc.   Answer Question

I felt the training was far too short & extraordinarily rushed, thereby making me feel awkward & stressed to be tossed right onto the phones. I went through 2 full days of training, then told the instructor it wasn't for me for the amount of $ & stress I'd be exposed to. She was surprised... I'm not sure it's happened before, but it was the best choice for me.

Software Engineer Interview

Basically went into a room with computers and had to write a program on eclipse with complete internet access. Once the technical interview was over, had a brief behavioral interview on why you want to join the company.

Interview Questions
    • Questions get more challenging as you complete more programs, mainly about string manipulation.   Answer Question

Brand Marketing Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Provide Commerce in November 2013.

1. Phone Screen with Recruiter

The initial phone screen seemed fairly laid back and friendly--just your general questions like Tell me about yourself, why are you interested, etc. The position was specifically for their email/catalogs.

2. Phone Screen with Marketing Manager

Afterwards, I had a phone screen with the marketing manager I'd be reporting to, who was very friendly and asked standard questions about why I was interested in the company, how I would go about getting consensus within a very matrixed organization and pushing to get my project done on time when other people had different priorities, what kind of holiday brands did I think were marketed well, etc. She also asked for some specific recommendations about the brands I'd be working on--what I liked or would change about their website, etc.

3. Analytics Test

But flying out, they required an analytics test. The recruiter said she couldn't really tell me anything, it was just something they required everyone to take. I read some past reviews on Glass Door to see what might be included in the test, but still didn't have much of an idea how to prepare. I knew there would be something about probability and forecasting, but I thought, "It probably can't be that in depth. After all, the job description didn't mention anything about forecasting." But the test was terrible--very hard, at least for me. There were three questions and you had 90 minutes to complete it. The first was a question about probability. Without giving everything away, it basically said you were supposed to roll dice and if you got doubles above a certain number you'd win. You'd already bet $100 that you'd win, but now they want to know how much you'd pay right now to call off the bet. The second question was forecasting. Basically you had data on several products that had launched, and there was a fairly predictable curve for sales. You were supposed to say which product would sell the most in the next two years and which would have the highest sales over the whole time period. The last question was supposed to take the longest and was probably the hardest. I ran out of time, but the recruiter let me have another 30 minutes. I don't think the additional time helped much because I wasn't sure what to do. Basically you had one month's numbers, including information on which dates the email campaigns were sent out. You were supposed to forecast next month's orders, and three other pieces of data, for EACH individual day and state all your assumptions.

4. In-Person Interview

The in-person interview was six straight hours with no breaks, interviewing with eight people. In the first interview, I remember he asked the standard tell me about yourself, and then some behavioral questions about a time when I had to get something done which required approval, but the supervisor wasn't responding in time--(like if an email campaign needed to get out at a certain time). Another interviewer asked about specific recommendations for branding on their brands. The third interviewer was the hardest--his entire interview was a case question. He had numbers printed out of an A/B test of two different emails. He wanted to know what conclusions I'd draw from those numbers and what kind of information I'd need to know which campaign was better. It turned out that one was just a discount email, with everything else the same. And the email sold the same amount of product as the other email--the overall revenue was just lower. Basically, the customer would've bought anyway, but the promotion just resulted in them buying at a lower price. The fourth interview was also a case question, almost the exact same as the last question on the analytics test. He had July's numbers and wanted to know how I'd forecast August's numbers and what questions I'd ask. He also asked about well-marketed brands, what I was looking for, and my ideal job if I could pick anything in the world. The fifth interviewer was from Operations, and he helped explain how all the departments worked together. It was helpful, but the system sounded more complicated than necessary. He also asked a behavioral question about motivating a team and getting a project done on time. The sixth interview was a lunch interview. That was with the actual marketing manager. She asked how I'd decide if they should launch a new line of chocolates and how I should brand it--under a current brand or starting a new one. She also asked if I had a limited budget and could only choose one of these two promotions, which one would I choose to launch the chocolate and which customer group would I want to mail to. She asked for several recommendations about what I'd do. The seventh interviewer asked me a few behavioral questions and then pulled up some emails that she'd gotten, and wanted me to critique the emails: Suggestions on subject lines, call to action, etc. The last interview was just a short tour with the recruiter.

Interview Questions
    • Here are numbers from two different email campaigns. What conclusions would you draw about this A/B test, and what questions would you ask?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Provide Commerce in November 2013.

The interview was great and quick! was interviewed by Tammy! it went fast. Had to place a fake order online and that was it! Then was told when the next class was and I was in! Was trained by Sarah Brown (Great Lady) She made sure you knew what you were doing.

there is no negotiation! training $9.00 per hour then once on the floor it's $10.00 the most you get is $10.65 after a few seasons!

Logistics Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Provide Commerce in May 2013.

The first round is phone screening, going through your resume. Few behavioral questions, why this company, why this job, etc. Then, they will email you an analytics test comprising of three questions focusing on probability, demand forecasting and some data analysis. The time limit for the analytics test is 2 hours, you have to finish it by then and submit it to them. They did not get back to me after 2 weeks, after which I had emailed, they replied they selected other candidates who met their requirements.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Why choose Provide commerce?
      2. Do you have experience in retailing especially in logistics side?
      3. A decision making problem with rolling dice and associated bet.
      4. Demand forecasting problem relating past sales and predicting future sales
      5. Creating seasonal forecast with past sales

Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Provide Commerce.

After the initial discussion with the hiring manager, I was led to a room to have an analytic test there. There were 3 problems and I was asked to submit in 90 minutes. Everything is done in Excel. Problems are about probability and forecasting.