Providence Health & Services Interview Questions in Renton, WA

Updated Nov 30, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA).

Interview

Screening by hiring manager. then panel interview with hiring manager and about 4 others where panel interview was virtual, some in same room, some on screen.
    Behavioral interviewing. They want situation, what you did, and outcome. They listen for that, they did ask follow up questions.
    About an hour long, and not enough time to have discussion in the panel or ask enough questions to help you know if you want to work with them.
    Thankfully I had a good discussion in phone screen with manager.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Made offer, I countered on salary and time off, they would not change in the time off. they did accept my counter on salary. Since annual raises are minimal, I took strategy to get highest salary in the beginning and did receive upper quartile pay.

Senior Business Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA) in August 2014.

Interview

i applied through linkedin. i was very surprised and pleased when i received a call from the hiring manager literally within the day. upon an intial phone screen and some emails we had the proverbial phone screen. i really wasnt too interested (i was about to hang up on him) until the he slyly mentioned the salary and then my ears perked up and he had my undivided attention! :) although i had already accepted an offer from my current employer, i still agreed for an onsite visit. the headquarters are beautiful and the office spaces are well designed. he met me in the lobby and invited me in. lets just say that the interview went extremely well. all the things you hear and read about were present. mirroring body language, agreeing with my answers, asking me when i could start, etc. he told me he was hiring for three positions and there were five candidates (including me) in the running. we wouldnt start until dec etc etc. he seemed incredibly honest and straight forward. in fact, at the end of the interview he asked me if i had his personal contact numbers to reach him if i had any questions. although it appeared to go well, i just had the gut feeling that things were not what they seemed.
    and my gut feeling was right.
    there is another entry on this site about a similar job, i believe a "six sigma/lean" position. this is the same job under a different moniker. and from reading that review, the gentleman is correct in his assesements. apparently they are/were extremely disorganized and chaotic. although my experience was just as bad only slightly different. and heres why...
    i followed the proverbial steps. i sent the follow up email. and i waited a week and followed up on his personal cell (remember, he told me to utilize it.) i heard nothing. nothing at all. based on the review i read, i thought maybe i would get a call or notification out of the blue, as he did mention he didnt plan on hiring until november. my girlfriend worked for a nonprofit before, and told me that they are a little different in their hiring processes. she told me to call him back as it has been at least a month to two months, and perhaps hes just busy.
    im glad i followed her advice.
    i called the hiring manager on his cell out of the blue and from a restricted line. he sounded very pleasently surprised to hear from me, and told me that they had hired for one position but were still interviewing for the last two and to call him back in a week to follow up. my thought at this time was that if i was a top contender i would have a job. but the tone and demeanor in his voice still had me wondering what his angle is/was.
    well, at 7:28 pm PST i received the rejection letter! what a piece of work! i mean, this guy sounded completely sincere. and as i said, the primary interview seemed incredibly positive. my advice to people who are applying to non-health related position is to beware. based on my review and other reviews, this company seems to be completely machvallian in its culture.
    oh by the way, they pray at meetings etc. so if you have an issue with prayer and nuns, this place is definitely not for you.

Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA).

Interview

I initially applied and then heard nothing for months. I assumed they weren't interested. Out of the blue they contacted me after I already accepted a position elsewhere. I applied again some time later and the process went downhill from there. First, I had a phone screening interview, which went well. Then, an in-person group interview, which went ok, but apparently not. I was contacted a few days later and was encouraged to apply for a position that better fit my industry experience and was told I wouldn't be considered for the job I applied for. I re-applied for the new position and was interviewed again with a different group, which seemed to go well. I was asked back for another interview, but some of the influential decision makers never showed up. A follow up phone interview was scheduled and not all of the people showed up for that, and the ones that did weren't scheduled and they asked questions that didn't fit with how the first group described the job. The key hiring manager then went on vacation for a few weeks, and about a month after her return, a follow up in-person interview was scheduled. Two days after this I received a rejection call, which is ok- I would have turned it down at that point anyway based on the chaos during the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• "How comfortable are you with clinical language?"   1 Answer
    • "Are you comfortable with praying or leading a prayer before each meeting?"   1 Answer
    • "What is your experience with ITIL?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA).

Interview

Took a very long time. Interview questions were easy. It took forever to get an offer letter. You are required to take a pee test- never have I ever done that in my line of work. There is also shots you have to get if you work in the hospitals.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They low balled me

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA) in April 2013.

Interview

Your resume gets you in the door, but your interview gets you the job. Interview questions are based on the STAR format. Always have examples on hand, so that you can show what the Situation, Task, Action, Result was. Never, never reply that you don't have an example. They are looking if you are a good fit with their culture.

This was an internal application, so I didn't have a phone interview; however, if you are external, you will have a 1) phone interview; 2) interview with one person or several; 3) possibly a 2nd interview; 4) An offer contingent on background check and drug screen.

All and all, it can take an external candidates 6-12 weeks from phone interview to first day on the job.

Interview Questions

• Provide an example of when you disagreed with your manager and what was the result.   Answer Question

Epic Applications Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA).

Interview

Not very good at all. Way too intimidating. Managers seemed like they lacked the experience with interviewing people. Shake hands and act more inviting. These jobs don't pay enough for someone who is a perspective candidate to be treated so unfairly. Even if it did, based on how I was interviewed, I wouldn't want to work here, and definitely wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult to understand or weren't too unexpected. I am familiar with the behavioral interviewing process myself because used to manage people. But I would always interview in an inviting and friendly manner. I didn't get that from this place.   Answer Question

Recruitment Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA) in December 2012.

Interview

Oh Providence, you can do much better. I will tell you about my "memorable" onsite interview thus far in my career.

Without a doubt, Providence's System Recruitment Manager and System Recruitment Director are the most horrifying individuals within the recruiting healthcare community. They are constantly trying to find Recruiters and even while using external headhunters, they can't find people to fill these roles. I've already been approached several times (after I interviewed at Providence) wanting to inquire if I would be interested in working there or if I would know of anyone that I could refer. I let them know that I am not there to bash Providence because I'm sure there are a lot of good people that work there. But I honestly tell them that there's no way I would work there and I cannot, in good conscience, refer any of my friends in my network - I wouldn't want to set them up for failure or find out they're looking for another job soon after starting at Providence.

So here are details on my onsite interview....

First of all, when I walked in to their main building in Renton, the Receptionist barely acknowledged my presence. I came at least 15 minutes early for my interview and they kept me waiting for 30 minutes without letting me know why there was a delay or what was happening. The Receptionist never looked up once unless someone was walking thru the doors. So I already had a bad taste in my mouth. The Receptionist is the first person people see when they come in and if you look like you don't want to be there, it will rub off on others and they'll notice it.

Secondly, I am greeted in the lobby by the System Recruiting Manager who is very late, mind you (and I am very prompt, almost OCD, so this killed me). He came up and said "hi" in a not so friendly manner. He took me up an elevator and you could literally hear a pen drop - that's how uncomfortable it was. What's bizarre is that most recruiters/recruiting managers have a personality and enjoy being engaged with potential employees - and that's usually why they're in this business.

So I start the panel interview (which they didn't tell me about upfront before the interview) with two people including the Systems Recruitment Manager. Then after 10 minutes, the Systems Recruitment Director walks in wearing a tie-dye T-Shirt with all the colors of the rainbow! I was very embarrassed for her... who in the world dresses like that for a professional interview? Very much lacked class and I don't mean to be rude, but she walked in looking like she had just rolled out of bed. She was the meanest person I've ever met who is in a management position. Shame on her higher ups for allowing her to be in that role and with the company for so long.

Both Managers were asking me the dumbest most simple behavioral questions such as, "Walk me thru full cycle recruiting step by step". Ummm, hello? Am I a new grad that's completely incompetent when it comes to full cycle recruiting where I have to explain each step to you? What do you not understand about full life cycle recruiting?

Finally, after being hounded for 30 minutes, they ended the interview and the Systems Recruitment Director didn't even say goodbye. Her Systems Recruitment Manager walked me out, shook my hand and said he would contact me soon. And as expected (and not to my surprise) he never called or followed up. It's people like him that make us real Recruiters look bad. Applicants quite often complain that they never hear from a Recruiter after an interview (whether phone or onsite) and it's up to us to set it right by appropriately following up especially if we say we are going to do so. And what's sad is I've heard about this Manager while I've been out having dinner at a local restaurant. I met a current employee there who knows him and didn't have one positive remark about him. That's telling in itself...

Open up your eyes Providence - any one who knows your name in the local community runs as fast as they can. Healthcare is known for "caring", "empathy", "kindness" and "support", all of which Providence does not possess. Why are you in healthcare? And specifically to the Systems Recruitment Manager and Director... why are you both there if you don't care about the organization's potential talent? And most importantly, why are you wasting our time (Recruiting Professionals) for interviews? My advice is stop, reassess your Managers and get rid of the toxic ones. Then I would recommend you try looking for Recruiters at that point because until you get rid of the bad employees, you will be a revolving door.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was difficult - they were entry level questions that a non experienced Recruiter would ask someone while following an interview script.   Answer Question

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Renton, WA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was sent over there by a Staffing agency and was unprepared for the interview. Every question was followed up by "Give me an example". It was more of an interrogation, then an interview. He did not take the time to make me comfortable. One of the questions was "What was said about you on your last yearly evaluation", followed by "Why did the say that?". I was also asked what my "Values" were which I felt were personal as he was basically asking if I was what? Catholic?

Interview Questions

• What software do you utilize to organize your day?   1 Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Renton, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Providence Health & Services (Renton, WA) in March 2011.

Interview

I received a phone call from the Recruiter to come in for a 1 hour panel interview. The interview consisted of detailing my experience and answering questions from the panel throughout the hour. Although it was a panel interview, they were very kind and it helped to ease my nerves. In about a week I was called in for the final round which consisted of a business case with two of the business users. The point was to see how I gather requirements and perform analysis in a real life scenario. Once I completed that I went through a phase of providing the details to the team and having a 1:1 with the manager. This round took about 2 hours. The next day I received an offer and accepted the offer within 2 days.