Providence Health & Services

Relevance Date Difficulty

Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt Interview

Lean/Six Sigma Black Belt
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Providence Health & Services.

Interview Details – I initially applied and then heard nothing for months. I assumed they weren't interested. Out of the blue they contacted me after I already accepted a position elsewhere. I applied again some time later and the process went downhill from there. First, I had a phone screening interview, which went well. Then, an in-person group interview, which went ok, but apparently not. I was contacted a few days later and was encouraged to apply for a position that better fit my industry experience and was told I wouldn't be considered for the job I applied for. I re-applied for the new position and was interviewed again with a different group, which seemed to go well. I was asked back for another interview, but some of the influential decision makers never showed up. A follow up phone interview was scheduled and not all of the people showed up for that, and the ones that did weren't scheduled and they asked questions that didn't fit with how the first group described the job. The key hiring manager then went on vacation for a few weeks, and about a month after her return, a follow up in-person interview was scheduled. Two days after this I received a rejection call, which is ok- I would have turned it down at that point anyway based on the chaos during the interviewing process.

Interview Questions

• "How comfortable are you with clinical language?"   View Answer
  • "Are you comfortable with praying or leading a prayer before each meeting?"   View Answer
  • "What is your experience with ITIL?"   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Providence Health & Services.

Interview Details – Took a very long time. Interview questions were easy. It took forever to get an offer letter. You are required to take a pee test- never have I ever done that in my line of work. There is also shots you have to get if you work in the hospitals.

Interview Question – I don't recall one.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They low balled me

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Providence Health & Services in April 2013.

Interview Details – Your resume gets you in the door, but your interview gets you the job. Interview questions are based on the STAR format. Always have examples on hand, so that you can show what the Situation, Task, Action, Result was. Never, never reply that you don't have an example. They are looking if you are a good fit with their culture.

This was an internal application, so I didn't have a phone interview; however, if you are external, you will have a 1) phone interview; 2) interview with one person or several; 3) possibly a 2nd interview; 4) An offer contingent on background check and drug screen.

All and all, it can take an external candidates 6-12 weeks from phone interview to first day on the job.

Interview Question – Provide an example of when you disagreed with your manager and what was the result.   Answer Question

Recruitment Interview

Recruitment
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Providence Health & Services in December 2012.

Interview Details – Oh Providence, you can do much better. I will tell you about my "memorable" onsite interview thus far in my career.

Without a doubt, Providence's System Recruitment Manager and System Recruitment Director are the most horrifying individuals within the recruiting healthcare community. They are constantly trying to find Recruiters and even while using external headhunters, they can't find people to fill these roles. I've already been approached several times (after I interviewed at Providence) wanting to inquire if I would be interested in working there or if I would know of anyone that I could refer. I let them know that I am not there to bash Providence because I'm sure there are a lot of good people that work there. But I honestly tell them that there's no way I would work there and I cannot, in good conscience, refer any of my friends in my network - I wouldn't want to set them up for failure or find out they're looking for another job soon after starting at Providence.

So here are details on my onsite interview....

First of all, when I walked in to their main building in Renton, the Receptionist barely acknowledged my presence. I came at least 15 minutes early for my interview and they kept me waiting for 30 minutes without letting me know why there was a delay or what was happening. The Receptionist never looked up once unless someone was walking thru the doors. So I already had a bad taste in my mouth. The Receptionist is the first person people see when they come in and if you look like you don't want to be there, it will rub off on others and they'll notice it.

Secondly, I am greeted in the lobby by the System Recruiting Manager who is very late, mind you (and I am very prompt, almost OCD, so this killed me). He came up and said "hi" in a not so friendly manner. He took me up an elevator and you could literally hear a pen drop - that's how uncomfortable it was. What's bizarre is that most recruiters/recruiting managers have a personality and enjoy being engaged with potential employees - and that's usually why they're in this business.

So I start the panel interview (which they didn't tell me about upfront before the interview) with two people including the Systems Recruitment Manager. Then after 10 minutes, the Systems Recruitment Director walks in wearing a tie-dye T-Shirt with all the colors of the rainbow! I was very embarrassed for her... who in the world dresses like that for a professional interview? Very much lacked class and I don't mean to be rude, but she walked in looking like she had just rolled out of bed. She was the meanest person I've ever met who is in a management position. Shame on her higher ups for allowing her to be in that role and with the company for so long.

Both Managers were asking me the dumbest most simple behavioral questions such as, "Walk me thru full cycle recruiting step by step". Ummm, hello? Am I a new grad that's completely incompetent when it comes to full cycle recruiting where I have to explain each step to you? What do you not understand about full life cycle recruiting?

Finally, after being hounded for 30 minutes, they ended the interview and the Systems Recruitment Director didn't even say goodbye. Her Systems Recruitment Manager walked me out, shook my hand and said he would contact me soon. And as expected (and not to my surprise) he never called or followed up. It's people like him that make us real Recruiters look bad. Applicants quite often complain that they never hear from a Recruiter after an interview (whether phone or onsite) and it's up to us to set it right by appropriately following up especially if we say we are going to do so. And what's sad is I've heard about this Manager while I've been out having dinner at a local restaurant. I met a current employee there who knows him and didn't have one positive remark about him. That's telling in itself...

Open up your eyes Providence - any one who knows your name in the local community runs as fast as they can. Healthcare is known for "caring", "empathy", "kindness" and "support", all of which Providence does not possess. Why are you in healthcare? And specifically to the Systems Recruitment Manager and Director... why are you both there if you don't care about the organization's potential talent? And most importantly, why are you wasting our time (Recruiting Professionals) for interviews? My advice is stop, reassess your Managers and get rid of the toxic ones. Then I would recommend you try looking for Recruiters at that point because until you get rid of the bad employees, you will be a revolving door.

Interview Question – Nothing was difficult - they were entry level questions that a non experienced Recruiter would ask someone while following an interview script.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Epic Applications Analyst Interview

Epic Applications Analyst
Renton, WA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Providence Health & Services.

Interview Details – Not very good at all. Way too intimidating. Managers seemed like they lacked the experience with interviewing people. Shake hands and act more inviting. These jobs don't pay enough for someone who is a perspective candidate to be treated so unfairly. Even if it did, based on how I was interviewed, I wouldn't want to work here, and definitely wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Interview Question – Questions were not difficult to understand or weren't too unexpected. I am familiar with the behavioral interviewing process myself because used to manage people. But I would always interview in an inviting and friendly manner. I didn't get that from this place.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant Interview

Senior Administrative Assistant
Renton, WA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took a day - interviewed at Providence Health & Services in October 2011.

Interview Details – I was sent over there by a Staffing agency and was unprepared for the interview. Every question was followed up by "Give me an example". It was more of an interrogation, then an interview. He did not take the time to make me comfortable. One of the questions was "What was said about you on your last yearly evaluation", followed by "Why did the say that?". I was also asked what my "Values" were which I felt were personal as he was basically asking if I was what? Catholic?

Interview Question – What software do you utilize to organize your day?   View Answer

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
Renton, WA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Providence Health & Services in March 2011.

Interview Details – I received a phone call from the Recruiter to come in for a 1 hour panel interview. The interview consisted of detailing my experience and answering questions from the panel throughout the hour. Although it was a panel interview, they were very kind and it helped to ease my nerves. In about a week I was called in for the final round which consisted of a business case with two of the business users. The point was to see how I gather requirements and perform analysis in a real life scenario. Once I completed that I went through a phase of providing the details to the team and having a 1:1 with the manager. This round took about 2 hours. The next day I received an offer and accepted the offer within 2 days.

Worked for Providence Health & Services? Contribute to the Community!