Prudential

Getting the Interview

29 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Prudential

Interview Details – I was contacted through my school email as a potential applicant and told to apply online. Within 2 days I was contacted by phone and instructed to take an 88-question online assessment test before scheduling an interview. It was essentially a personality test to screen for people aggressive enough for a sales job.

Interview Question – It just asked about your personality and how you would handle certain situations.   Answer Question

Coral Gables, FL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Prudential in May 2012.

Interview Details – Initial interview with team manager, second with Managing Director and third with agency trainer. Very straight forward interviews.

Interview Question – very professional but casual, no tricky or hard questions, they mainly want to know your background and expectations and see if the match what the company is looking for.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, everubody starts in the CDP program

Shelton, CT

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Prudential in July 2013.

Interview Details – Many interviews with smiling, friendly subordinates to the MD. Think of a time-sharing experience. They will lie outright to entice prospects into the office. Their approach is one of rambling misrepresentation. One must submit to lengthy vetting through credit checks and month-long internal evaluation by individuals with fewer credentials and less experience. Run, do not walk, to the exit.

Interview Question – The most difficult part was keeping the interviewers focused on the interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations and no truth in the process at all.

Financial Professional Associate Interview

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Prudential in November 2011.

Interview Details – It is important to realize that this a company that wants to "date a while" before you are married to it. There are online assessments that need to completed and it is vital that they are done in a timely manner to show that you have some desire to test drive the career. Also, there are three face to face interviews. The first is a meet and greet and where you are informed of what your future will be, second, is compiling a project 200 which is basically a list of people that you know that could give you business or referrals. Finally, it is the "pull the Trigger" interview, at this time you are through the door and will be plunged into a career where the strong survive! Make sure you are ready to learn!!!!

Interview Question – Pay...it is sometimes tricky for the person giving the interview to explain that you are pretty much hunting to make a living...you keep what you kill in this industry   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There really is no negotiation, you either accept the terms of the agency distribution contract or you find a different company to work for. Their expectations are reasonable. If you have any ability to sell and you're receptive to new ideas and instructions you will be fine.

Interview Details – Apply for the job
Receive and complete the assessment
get face-to-face interview

Interview Question – Why should we hire you? why do you want to take that position?   Answer Question

Scranton, PA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Prudential in April 2013.

Interview Details – I answered an ad on Careerbuilder.com for a Financial Professional Associate with the North Eastern PA Prudential branch. A few days later a recruiter called and asked me to take an online aptitude test. I took it and past with flying colors. It consisted of a lot of questions about your personality type and what you would do in certain situations. Next was a face to face interview with the Sales Manager for the NE PA location in Scranton. Good interview with a basic background review. When the main thrust for getting started turned out to be putting together a list of 200 or so people in my "network", and that contacting them would be the way I would begin, it discouraged me. I'm not a marketing to friends and family kind of guy. I had a second interview set up with the training manager set up but I cancelled a couple of days before the interview.

Interview Question – How many people in my "personal network"   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I'm not interested in marketing to family and friends.

Chalfont, PA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Prudential in April 2013.

Interview Details – A salary in this field of work is an illusion. No employer is going to continue a salary and benefits where the employee is not generating enough commission..

Don't waste your time with a commission only offer from Prudential, they have no vested interest in you as a employee. Prudential is based on the tests you have to take rather than how you are perceived by the people interviewing you. DO NOT get your hopes up until a contract is signed!

Interview Question – Recruiter did 90%of the talking, wasn't a formal interview, more of a sales pitch.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The position is 100% commission only and you have to have a Life and Health Insurance License, Series 6 license and Series 63 license, all of these you must obtain within 26 weeks and you pay for it out of pocket, about $850.00.

They made a lot of promises of making big money:
65k 1st year / $137k 2nd year / $187k 3rd year / $248k, 4th year and so on.

Prudential says they will reimburse you for the exams only if you pass them in the allotted time. They also claim to offer health benefits but it was not clearly explained to me who would pay for it.

The second time I went down there was for an orientation, the recruiter tells me he wants to me write down a list of 50 to 100 people I know and bring it with me next time, right there bells are going off that they want me to sell insurance products to my friends and family even though they said no. My guess was they were trying to get this list to recruit from that.

The first 2-years your hired as an salaried employee, from there on your are a 1099 contractor.

They wanted me to sell a huge amount of products including Life/Health Insurance, Annuities, Retirement Planning to both residential and commercial customers, all of this while only getting 45% commission on the sale. This is of course IF you make any sales.

Some leads are given to you for free, others you have to pay for, $50 per lead. All of this while you build your own business-get referrals, cold call, networking marketing, etc.

The recruiter hands out this FPA compensation estimator chart showing they if you sell 1 policy per week, you can make $65k/year, this is based on seeing 2-cleints a day.

For me, it seemed like a lot of hype, they were interviewing people every hour just to see who would make the plunge.

They wanted me to take an online Candidate Assessment Test (CAT) of 88 questions, personal profile eliminator and come back for a second screening vocabulary test..

This company has no vested interest in you a a "Financial Professional Associate" (FPA), if you don't continually make sales, your gone.

I was lucky enough to meet someone outside in the parking lot who had gone though all of this and more, he was with them for 4 months after they let him go for not keeping up with production.

After hearing there sales pitch and more, decided not to pursue this.

Springfield, IL

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Prudential in February 2013.

Interview Details – Recruiter contacted me about an "opportunity". After a brief discussion I was asked to take a Career Assessment test which I was told would measure my sales ability. I took the test and was contacted back right away to come in for a interview. I asked if this were a commission job and was told no. The first interview was mostly a meet and greet, I was asked back for a second interview, they scheduled it during my first interview which is not how interviews usually go which made me a bit leery.

On the second interview I was told I needed to start contacting friends and family to see if they would buy from me if I went into this business. At this point I asked how I would be paid and was told "performance based" and "support money" that they "gave me" after I hit certain sales levels so they spin it into a nicer way to say commission and bonus.

I couldn't actually get any details about compensation until the last interview. It was explained to me then that Prudential would always hold back some of my money as collateral against me in case someone canceled something they bought from me. I was told no matter how long i work there Prudential would always have a minimum of $3600 of my money in a special draw account that I could never receive in full and paid me no interest while it sat there. If i ever quit, this money would not be released to me for 14 weeks.

I was told I could make money other ways like bringing other people in to work there. The more i heard, the more I realized this was like a legal pyramid scheme and declined the offer.

Interview Question – I was handed a book to put a minimum of 200 names of friends and families that I would have to approach to sell to.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – They told me I would be acting as a financial advisor but yet said I could not legally call myself that. I realized they were looking for salespeople and that they had tried to get me to buy into it a little at a time just like they explained they would teach me to do with my potential customers

Financial Professional Associate

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Prudential in May 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview and request to complete application. App is cpmpleted, now I am awaiting assessment test.

Interview Question – Have you earned over $26,000 in commissions from life insurance in your last job?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Prudential

Interview Details – I was referred by a current employee to apply online for the position. It sounded like a great opportunity to enter a new career field. The first step was to fill out a simple preliminary online application. I was then instructed to take an online personality assessment after which I was informed that I was no longer a candidate.

Interview Question – Because of the personality assessment I wasn't given the opportunity for a face to face interview, their loss.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Prudential

Worked for Prudential? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Prudential Financial Professional Associate interview questions and advice. All 29 interview reviews posted anonymously by Prudential employees and interview candidates.