Public Outreach Interview Questions

Updated May 23, 2015

1.9

Public Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Outreach (Los Angeles, CA) in May 2013.

Interview

I was recruited off of the street, a young man took my information, and the recruiters call me about four days later to set up an interview. I was told that casual dress was fine. It was supposed to be a group interview, but I was the only one who showed; so it was done one-on-one with the HR person. I was called about an hour later to start an evaluation period the following Monday. The first day, there is a training meeting. At that meeting you find out what organization you will fund raising for and will get a script to memorize. Once the script is memorized (hopefully by the next day) you have to recite it to your supervisor before they will let you public fund raise on the street. You have four days to sign up monthly donors in an evaluation period to be hired or "staff." If you don't accomplish that you might be given more time to "staff."

Interview Questions

• Before you get interviewed, you fill out an application. A couple of questions on the ap were "Why should we hire you?," "Why do you want to work for the company, and "Are there any organizations you would feel uncomfortable fundraising for."   Answer Question

Public Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Public Outreach (Atlanta, GA) in January 2012.

Interview

There is a group interview. That's where you will fill out your application. Then, the manager will take each candidate into another room for a five minute private interview. You will be asked to sale a fictional item. If you are chosen, you will receive information within the week.

Fundraiser Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Public Outreach.

Interview

Applied via email. Got a phone interview after one week. A phone interview asking why you are applying for the job, your previous experience. Then asked for an onsite interview next week. No need to dress up for the interview (they accepted casual style. But I suggest clean and simple clothes, like jeans, sweaters, T-shirts ) During face-to-face interview, discussing your background, your enthusiasm for the job, and your knowledge of the company.

Interview Questions

• Describe your previous experience that is related to fundraising.   Answer Question

Professional Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Edmonton, AB (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Public Outreach (Edmonton, AB (Canada)) in December 2014.

Interview

Manager didn't show up to interview after saying he could only make it on a certain day and caused me to miss half a day of work, got offered the job and decided I'd give it a chance. Had to take a "love quiz" on the orientation interview that described your personality.

Interview Questions

• Have you supported a charity before?   1 Answer

Fundraiser Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Public Outreach.

Interview

Applied online. I received a short phone interview and then a group interview. It was a very relaxed interview. Everyone was very friendly. The interviewer looked through everyone's resumes and asked questions based on what he or she wrote.

Interview Questions

• If you could volunteer anywhere in the world, where would you be?   Answer Question

Street Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Public Outreach (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

Got a call and was invited to a group interview within days of sending them my resume. Got a phone call for training in less than 24 hours after doing the group interview.

Interview Questions

• None. You just had to be yourself and say why you want to work for Public Outreach.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations. The base pay was $10.50 per hour for new employees on their 40 hour probation period. If you do well, the pay gets increased to $13 per hour. However, you must 'keep your numbers up.'

Professional Fundraiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Public Outreach (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2014.

Interview

group interview, mainly to discuss your extracurricular achievements. the screening process isn't very competitive, just remember to stress your sales and communications skills.
    what's more important is to test your liking for this job in the training period, not everyone enjoys asking people for money under 30 degree weather.

Interview Questions

• What was your proudest achievement in the past year, in academia or extracurriculum .   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Interviewed people regarding sales skills and communication skills for fundraising positions in malls, door to door and on the street.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you were criticized by your boss.   Answer Question

Canvasser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hamilton, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Outreach (Hamilton, ON (Canada)).

Interview

Applied online through their website and got a phone interview asking why you wanted the job. Went for a group interview. The experience was really pleasant, the interviewees were not much older than I was (22) and they were all very very chill. All in all, it was a great experience with no pressure to say certain things.

Interview Questions

• "What would you do if you kept getting rejected?"   1 Answer

Marketing/Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Public Outreach (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in June 2013.

Interview

They had called me from their head office in Toronto (I'm from Vancouver) and offered me the interview after doing a phone interview with me. The woman on the phone was very pleasant and the phone interview was easy enough.
     I was unaware that it was going to be a group interview and only found out when I arrived and other people were there. I have had better group interviews; the questions started off with asking each person about their recent job on their resume and then ended with what each person's favourite thing to do was and why. I had to sit through some weird answers. At some points, for the questions that required a more thought out answer, they were forgotten because of people's elongated answers that would change the question basically and make you forget it.
    The night of the interview I received a phone call from Public Outreach in Vancouver, but missed the call and called right back a few minutes later only to try to figure out which extension to call and leave a message at. I did this, and the next day I got around 4 or 5 phone calls that ended within seconds before I could pick up. I left a message again and got no call back that day. The next day I got another call from a different number, but missed the call. I called back and left a message. I got another phone call from a DIFFERENT number which again lasted about 2 seconds before they hung up. I called that number and FINALLY got a hold of the person who did my interview.
    I was offered the job, however I declined because the constant phone calling mishaps began to come off as extremely unorganized.

Interview Questions

• What is the importance of monthly donations?   1 Answer

Phone calls were inconsistent, and when I called back and explained what was happening, the girl seemed offended like I was blaming her, even though I said "Maybe it's my phone causing this problem". Even though all other phone calls came through fine.