Public Outreach

13 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Public Fundraiser
Los Angeles, CA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Outreach in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was recruited off of the street, a young man took my information, and the recruiters call me about four days later to set up an interview. I was told that casual dress was fine. It was supposed to be a group interview, but I was the only one who showed; so it was done one-on-one with the HR person. I was called about an hour later to start an evaluation period the following Monday. The first day, there is a training meeting. At that meeting you find out what organization you will fund raising for and will get a script to memorize. Once the script is memorized (hopefully by the next day) you have to recite it to your supervisor before they will let you public fund raise on the street. You have four days to sign up monthly donors in an evaluation period to be hired or "staff." If you don't accomplish that you might be given more time to "staff."

Interview Question – Before you get interviewed, you fill out an application. A couple of questions on the ap were "Why should we hire you?," "Why do you want to work for the company, and "Are there any organizations you would feel uncomfortable fundraising for."   Answer Question

Atlanta, GA

The process took a day - interviewed at Public Outreach in January 2012.

Interview Details – There is a group interview. That's where you will fill out your application. Then, the manager will take each candidate into another room for a five minute private interview. You will be asked to sale a fictional item. If you are chosen, you will receive information within the week.

Interview Question – "Try to sell me [insert random object]."   Answer Question

Recruiter Interview

Interviewed at Public Outreach

Interview Details – Interviewed people regarding sales skills and communication skills for fundraising positions in malls, door to door and on the street.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you were criticized by your boss.   Answer Question

Professional Fundraiser Interview

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Public Outreach in February 2013.

Interview Details – It's not really that hard to get an interview or even pass the interview. This company is almost always desperate for new employees, as it is a very difficult job to keep.

Doing the basics such as reading up on the company would be helpful, however.

The interview can be done one-on-one or as a group interview. The company is not really that interested in qualifications or background. They lost the resume I passed onto one of their recruiters and the interviewer did not bother reading the one I brought along to my interview.

The interview is very informal. After the interviewer goes over the requirements for the job, he/she will get you to make an impromptu fundraising pitch about a random object in the room, or your favorite charity. I felt that this is where Public Outreach decides whom to hire.

Of the four people in my interview, three passed.

After you get through a group interview, you will be put on an evaluation period for 1 - 2 weeks. During this period you will need to demonstrate that you can reach fundraising targets, or you will be fired. During this time you make close to minimum wage.

After you are done evaluation, you will get hired on at full pay.

Of the three that passed the interview, I was the only person to pass evaluation. This is where they actually screen people out.

In the time I have been at the company, I have seen entire cohorts of fundraisers fail evaluation.

Interview Question – What's your favorite charity? (you better be able to name one...)   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You start at the bottom like everyone else. Previous qualifications are meaningless.

Professional Fundraiser Interview

Calgary, AB (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Public Outreach in May 2013.

Interview Details – They want to see your personality, whether you are smooth, likable, able to deal with any situation
You need to have knowledge of why they do what they do. Read up on NGO`s, why face to face fundraising is applicable to your job description

Interview Question – How do you build rapport with potential donors   Answer Question

Private Interview

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Public Outreach in July 2009.

Interview Details – i was hired along time ago - in 2003. The CEO interviewed me. It was very informal - I felt completely at ease, and encouraged to try it out. I felt confident I would be supported in learning my job

Interview Question – Do you feel OK about asking donors for money?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – no negotation

Marketing/Sales Interview

Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Public Outreach in June 2013.

Interview Details – They had called me from their head office in Toronto (I'm from Vancouver) and offered me the interview after doing a phone interview with me. The woman on the phone was very pleasant and the phone interview was easy enough.
 I was unaware that it was going to be a group interview and only found out when I arrived and other people were there. I have had better group interviews; the questions started off with asking each person about their recent job on their resume and then ended with what each person's favourite thing to do was and why. I had to sit through some weird answers. At some points, for the questions that required a more thought out answer, they were forgotten because of people's elongated answers that would change the question basically and make you forget it.
The night of the interview I received a phone call from Public Outreach in Vancouver, but missed the call and called right back a few minutes later only to try to figure out which extension to call and leave a message at. I did this, and the next day I got around 4 or 5 phone calls that ended within seconds before I could pick up. I left a message again and got no call back that day. The next day I got another call from a different number, but missed the call. I called back and left a message. I got another phone call from a DIFFERENT number which again lasted about 2 seconds before they hung up. I called that number and FINALLY got a hold of the person who did my interview.
I was offered the job, however I declined because the constant phone calling mishaps began to come off as extremely unorganized.

Interview Question – What is the importance of monthly donations?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Phone calls were inconsistent, and when I called back and explained what was happening, the girl seemed offended like I was blaming her, even though I said "Maybe it's my phone causing this problem". Even though all other phone calls came through fine.

Canvasser Interview

Canvasser
Hamilton, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Outreach.

Interview Details – Applied online through their website and got a phone interview asking why you wanted the job. Went for a group interview. The experience was really pleasant, the interviewees were not much older than I was (22) and they were all very very chill. All in all, it was a great experience with no pressure to say certain things.

Interview Question – "What would you do if you kept getting rejected?"   View Answer

Fundraising Representative Interview

Fundraising Representative
Waterloo, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Public Outreach in February 2013.

Interview Details – Phone call, traditional phone interview right away

Public Fundraiser
Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Public Outreach in August 2012.

Interview Details – The day I applied, they called me back. A few days later I went to a screening/group interview with about 10 other people that included a mock street exercise. Afterwards I was then emailed a script and some other info which I studied up on. A few days later I went into another group interview with a field manager. More screening and some rap practice. A few days later I was on turf for some on the job/at the door training.

The whole process took about 10 calender days.

Interview Question – It wasn't a question, but they are looking at your ability to be quickly comfortable in new situations/working with new people.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They have a training wage, and if you pass training, they bump you to regular wage. Thereafter rates increase depending on your productivity. No negotiation.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Public Outreach

Worked for Public Outreach? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Public Outreach interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Public Outreach employees and interview candidates.