Public Storage

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

District Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview Details – Very fast process. Phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. Basic questions about your direct reports. Following week had face to face with two Regional Managers at their corporate office. Just got a notice I didn't make the cut. Seems like a great company to work for. Will try again.

Interview Question – Face to Face they ask you to give them 3 low points and 3 high points you've had in High School, College, and professional career.   Answer Question

District Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview with Senior District Manager. Was supposed to be 45 minutes, but ended up being over 90. Got a call back within an hour to fly out the next week for a second interview in-person (scheduled for 3 hours). Was told that the position was for a DM-in-training. Didn't get much information at all about the position or demands during the phone interview, so I asked about work/life balance, percentage of travel, and vacation/time-off accrual (all logical questions that most anyone would want to know before accepting an offer). Really just wanted to compare to my previous career. I got another call saying that there were "concerns about our alignment" and that they were going to pass on moving forward with me. Evidently the organization doesn't care much for what they can provide the employee in exchange for their hard work. It's too bad that they pass on people with proven excellent record of results just because they inquire about work/life balance. Doesn't sound very people-oriented. I was already suspicious based on the employee reviews and the fact that they tout the salary and bonus so much in the job listings. Must be paying for hard servitude.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. Scripted questions. Identical to the other Glassdoor reviewers. Almost like a personality test and very lengthy.   Answer Question

Castro Valley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview Details – One Phone screen and 2 interviews. One ride-along with an exisiting Distirct manager. Process was fast and easy maybe takes 3 weeks to complete. First in person interview took about 2 hours.

Interview Question – What oppurtunities do you have?   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process is a 30 minute phone interview with the Regional V.P. Once the phone interview is complete, there will be a 2 hour interview with two individuals, usually the regional V.P.'s in your area. You will then be asked to do a half day "ride along" with a local DM to see what they do in their typical day. If you make it to this point, you will have a 1 hour interview with the Divisional V.P. who is over the Regional V.P.'s. At this point, you will be asked to fly to Glendale, California for a 1 hour interview with the C.O.O. Shawn Weidman. Public Storage is very unprofessional in the way they do business. I was called and set up a time for a phone interview on a Thursday evening at 7pm. I planned my family's time around this call, but the call never came. A wee later, I got a call from the Regional V.P. Dan Fabricant stating that he was sorry but Outlook must have deleted the appointment. I continued through the process against my better judgment. At the end of the process, I was asked to fly to California to meet with the C.O.O. during spring break on 1 days notice. I made it happen and flew into Los Angeles, arriving at 8:30pm on Wednesday night. After a 45 minute cab ride, I made it to the hotel that was arranged for me. I got into bed at around 11pm (1am Dallas time), with a 8am interview scheduled on Thursday morning. After getting up at 6am on Thursday morning, I called a cab. Made it to Public Storage offices which was only 10 minutes from the hotel at 7:15am. l sat in the lobby of Public Storage until 8:30am for a 8am interview. After meeting Mr. Weidmann in person, I see the issue with Public Storage. He is a very self-absorbed person. I made it from Dallas, TX to California on a days notice, and was 45 minutes early for the interview. Mr. Weidmann, living local I would guess, can't make it there for a scheduled interview. Poor leadership at best!

Interview Question – What was your biggest challenge? They will ask this question about high school, college, and every job you have ever had. They will also ask your high points of each, but it seems that it's often more difficult to come up with the challenges.   Answer Question

District Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview Details – Phone screen, Regional Manager interview, District Manager ride along, Divisional Manager interview, COO interview at Corp Office.

Your references carry a lot of weight and will be checked. Your entire resume will be reviewed. PS does not promote Property Managers to DM, we are all outside hires. The goal is to identify individuals that demonstrate similar work experience and a track record of proven performance. We are looking for people that can succeed at the level they are interviewing all the way up to a Regional or Divisional position.

Interview Question – Every question will require a thought out response. Canned answers fall short. You'll need to be comfortable with open dialog about your opportunities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating. Starting wage is advertised in job announcement. Expenses are reimbursed and typically include milage, tolls, and phone.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in January 2014.

Interview Details – This was the most unprofessional disorganized interview I have ever been part of. The person called 30 minutes prior to the interview needing to reschedule for later in the day. When she rang later in the day she seemed hurried, obviously had not read my resume prior to the call, and worst of all was clearly reading from a script and could not change based on my previous answers. It is as if she felt the only way to interview was to do it from a canned script and had no idea what to do with the answers.

Interview Question – At the end of the interview she indicated that if I had questions for her now was the time to ask. I asked her: "Based on my resume, and my skills and abilities, how do you think a person like me would do at this position." Her response was: "Well, I do not know much about your background, so I cannot answer that." This was after the supposed interview and after she supposedly read my resume. I am very disappointed that a company such as this has such low standards for the training of their interviewers. I also asked her of her background prior to coming to into the storage game, she indicated that it was with a Blockbuster Video store, I tried to draw comparisons from her previous job to the one she has now to see if she could see where my background could come in helpful...she was unable to do so. For the record, I have extensive multiunit management of hotels and work with REIT's, something I thought would be very transferable. I guess not, got the form letter today that they were not interested.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Public Storage

Interview Details – Initial phone interview was about 1 hour and very detailed questions were asked around P+L and management style. In person interview was very long over 2.5 hours and on location. Asked about all direct reports from the last 3 years and breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses. I was given some opportunity to ask probing questions at the end of the interview.

Interview Question – Asked about my high school experiences.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Decided I was more comfortable with were I was currently.

South Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Public Storage in March 2013.

Interview Details – applied online, got a call. The process was fairly quick and easy enough. I applied in houston, texas and It was made clear very early that they were interested in candidates open to relocation to areas near by. Questions were pretty straight forward trying to legitmazie the information I provided. I answered the questions and had to call back on my own to get the sad news.

Interview Question – Would I be open to a long commute   View Answer

Hartford, CT

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2009.

Interview Details – Took weeks to get interview then several more weeks and then an interview with Div. president and another with the CEO...

Interview Question – the usual questions as if scripted from a generic interview guild   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

The process took 3 months - interviewed at Public Storage in November 2010.

Interview Details – I originally heard about the District Manager position through a headhunter I had worked with previously. I started by doing a telephone interview with the HR department in California. The interviewer was very professional and used behavioral based technique. He then me for an interview with the VP and a drive around with a current DM. I met the DM at a location and talked about the position, he had a video store
Background and I have a restaurant DM background. I met with the VP that would've been my supervisor and after some very surface level questions and about 45 minutes he indicated he liked my background etc. and said I would need to meet with his
Boss in Ft Lauderdale. I flew into ft lauderdale and met with the SR VP for about an hour. Questions were pretty generic, and it seemed to be going well......
Until - I was asked why I was a good fit or candidate for the positon. I replied in a non condescending manner that managing multi unit restaurants with multiple departments perishable products etc. seemed to have more moving parts and that the simple business of renting storage units would be a good opportunity to soar. This seemed to agitate the SRVP to the extent that he went from stating that their business was a simple one to telling me that he disagreed and thought managing the storage units was more challenging and had more moving parts than a restaurant. Keep in mind there are two employees per location and my restaurants have 70-110 staff members per location.
After that interview they took over a week to give me an answer. Very poor process and dragged on for 3 months.

Interview Question – Why work for Public Storage   View Answer

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!