Public Storage District Manager Interview Questions

Updated Jul 24, 2015

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

Great People, great interview process. First interview (set up by recruiter) was with two regional managers. Follow up interview was with Regional Manager and Senior District Manager I would be under. Very professional, they took the time took explain the position well and as part of the follow up process spent a day shadowing a current district manager.

Interview Questions

• Most district managers will have a short conversation with the C.O.O. at some point in the process. Questions were all relevant, nothing too off the wall.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Public Storage

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Public Storage (Atlanta, GA) in July 2015.

Interview

Was contacted by phone to set up phone interview the day after I applied online. Could tell from our brief interaction by phone I was not very compatible to the person calling. They may as well have been a computer. During the actual phone interview, I tried to be conversational as I would find that an important part of choosing an employee - a pleasant, friendly, demeanor. I would not recommend that approach. Stick to the facts, ma'am, just the facts. The phone interviewer did not reply back conversationally to anything I said - which made the process awkward. They were just on to the next question on their scripted list. Granted I haven't been in interview mode for many years as I stayed loyal to a previous company, but it was weird. Not surprised that PS did not move forward with me, the interview was not great. I hung up the phone and thought, Wow! That did not go well. And I was right! My e-mail rejection came two days later. The questions others have mentioned are right on the money, so I won't repeat them. You can also search online for "A" method interviewing processes. At one point I know they asked a question that I got off course on and don't think I even answered. A good interviewer might have redirected me back to that question, but they were just on to the next one - no comment. Like I said, not my best. Hopefully, you will have a better experience and perhaps just speaking with someone different might provide an entirely different experience altogether. Maybe if I had talked to them in the afternoon vs. early morning it would have all gone differently. Who knows. I had an interview the next day with a different company and sailed through it. Second interview with them next week. Good luck! Remember, when you are in an interview process, you are interviewing them, too. They are trying to decide if you fit in with their world AND YOU need to decide if you want to be a part of their world.

Interview Questions

• "A" Method questions: career goals 3yrs, how would former employers rank you from 1-10 and why, what motivates you, discuss your experience with matrix #s and driving for success, what is an opportunity for an improvement for you, and of course, the one I forgot ... I think it was something about a time when you were motivating someone...? even now, I don't know what it was. Good luck!   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Denver, CO) in July 2015.

Interview

After a brief phone interview which consisted of questions about High School, College, and Career achievments and low points I was contacted for an in person interview. At the interview i was asked the same phone interview questions and about the perfoance of past subordinates and superiors and how they performed or ciewed my work. Notuch discussion about the job or how i could contribute to yhe company.

Interview Questions

• Describe performance of 4 past subordinates.   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Public Storage in May 2015.

Interview

My resume was found by a recruiter. Phone screen, face to face interview, ride a long (spend half a day with current DM), Region VP interview, & executive VP interview. After face to face I was emailed and told they were looking at other candidates, after what seemed to be such a personable interview process I wish they would have called me and let me know what they disliked, so I may use on future interviews. They use the A Model Interview Process.

Interview Questions

• 3 positives & 3 negatives during HS, college, and previous work history.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Public Storage (Austin, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Telephone Interview with the Regional Vice President. Pretty standard stuff. No real surprises regarding the questions. Prefer a face-to-face. Not sure what else I can say, but I have to use at least 50 words here, so that is basically what I am doing. I think that is 50.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

Public Storage likes to think that they have a detailed interview process, however they simply follow the "A" Method interview guide. They complete a phone screen with you and if you pass the phone screen you will meet for an in person interview where they follow "A" Method. Simply look this up prior to your interview and you will be well prepared--there is a book if you really want go overboard. It's a chronological interview and they are looking for three high points and low points--they begin with your time in high school, college, and your job history. If they like you they will send you for a "DM Ride Along" where you will spend a few hours with a local District Manager. The DM will send them a report of what they think and again, if they like you they will pass you on to the Divisional VP, and they will prep you for that interview. IF the Divisional VP approves they will send you to California to interview with the COO. Again...if they like you, but they don't think you will do well with the COO they will spend a few hours prepping you for that interview. Kind of a joke...

Interview Questions

• Honestly there are no difficult questions because they follow the set plan for "A" Method. You can nail it if you are prepared. They are just looking for you to respond and give them three pluses and three negatives. Experience used to be a requirement, but they have really dropped that in favor of a much younger audience. If you are 35 and over you need not apply as you are not what they are looking for at this time. The trend is to hire right out of college with little or no experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. The salary and bonus program are fixed and will not be changed.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

They asked pretty normal questions about my past job experience, reason for leaving last job, questions on my salary needs, pretty generic interview, questions on what I would bring to the table

Better Job

Application

Interview

The interview process is a long one. You are contacted first by a recruiter who goes through the basic details with you and then are contacted by a Regional Manager. You have a brief phone interview and then are asked to come in for what will be one of the longest interviews of your life. You sit with a Regional Manager and are asked the following questions: What were your two highs and lows of HIGH SCHOOL? What were your two highs and lows of COLLEGE? On your last 3 jobs you're asked: What were you hired to do? What were your two accomplishments? What were your two opportunities? What would you do differently? What would your boss say about you? What did you think of your boss? What was it like working with them? Can you spell their name? You are then contacted by the Divisional and it's a phone interview if it's not geographically feasible or a face to face if you're close by. Same questions as above. If you pass this portion, they will call you again to go to the Glendale office and sit with senior executive team, Shawn Weidmann. That interview goes over all the same things as above and is really just for him to sign off on hiring you. If Shawn doesn't like you though, you will not get the position. Process takes around 2 weeks and then it's a giant background check with the worst (aka cheapest) company ever.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It's $75k plus $16k first year bonus.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with Senior District Manager. Was supposed to be 45 minutes, but ended up being over 90. Got a call back within an hour to fly out the next week for a second interview in-person (scheduled for 3 hours). Was told that the position was for a DM-in-training. Didn't get much information at all about the position or demands during the phone interview, so I asked about work/life balance, percentage of travel, and vacation/time-off accrual (all logical questions that most anyone would want to know before accepting an offer). Really just wanted to compare to my previous career. I got another call saying that there were "concerns about our alignment" and that they were going to pass on moving forward with me. Evidently the organization doesn't care much for what they can provide the employee in exchange for their hard work. It's too bad that they pass on people with proven excellent record of results just because they inquire about work/life balance. Doesn't sound very people-oriented. I was already suspicious based on the employee reviews and the fact that they tout the salary and bonus so much in the job listings. Must be paying for hard servitude.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. Scripted questions. Identical to the other Glassdoor reviewers. Almost like a personality test and very lengthy.   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview

Very fast process. Phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. Basic questions about your direct reports. Following week had face to face with two Regional Managers at their corporate office. Just got a notice I didn't make the cut. Seems like a great company to work for. Will try again.

Interview Questions

• Face to Face they ask you to give them 3 low points and 3 high points you've had in High School, College, and professional career.   Answer Question