Public Storage

Updated Aug 1, 2014
Updated Aug 1, 2014

19 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

The interview process is a long one. You are contacted first by a recruiter who goes through the basic details with you and then are contacted by a Regional Manager. You have a brief phone interview and then are asked to come in for what will be one of the longest interviews of your life.

You sit with a Regional Manager and are asked the following questions:
What were your two highs and lows of HIGH SCHOOL?
What were your two highs and lows of COLLEGE?
On your last 3 jobs you're asked:
What were you hired to do?
What were your two accomplishments?
What were your two opportunities?
What would you do differently?
What would your boss say about you?
What did you think of your boss?
What was it like working with them?
Can you spell their name?

You are then contacted by the Divisional and it's a phone interview if it's not geographically feasible or a face to face if you're close by. Same questions as above. If you pass this portion, they will call you again to go to the Glendale office and sit with senior executive team, Shawn Weidmann. That interview goes over all the same things as above and is really just for him to sign off on hiring you. If Shawn doesn't like you though, you will not get the position.

Process takes around 2 weeks and then it's a giant background check with the worst (aka cheapest) company ever.

Interview Questions
There is no negotiation. It's $75k plus $16k first year bonus.

Other Interview Reviews for Public Storage

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Very fast process. Phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. Basic questions about your direct reports. Following week had face to face with two Regional Managers at their corporate office. Just got a notice I didn't make the cut. Seems like a great company to work for. Will try again.

Interview Questions
    • Face to Face they ask you to give them 3 low points and 3 high points you've had in High School, College, and professional career.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 days - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Phone interview with Senior District Manager. Was supposed to be 45 minutes, but ended up being over 90. Got a call back within an hour to fly out the next week for a second interview in-person (scheduled for 3 hours). Was told that the position was for a DM-in-training. Didn't get much information at all about the position or demands during the phone interview, so I asked about work/life balance, percentage of travel, and vacation/time-off accrual (all logical questions that most anyone would want to know before accepting an offer). Really just wanted to compare to my previous career. I got another call saying that there were "concerns about our alignment" and that they were going to pass on moving forward with me. Evidently the organization doesn't care much for what they can provide the employee in exchange for their hard work. It's too bad that they pass on people with proven excellent record of results just because they inquire about work/life balance. Doesn't sound very people-oriented. I was already suspicious based on the employee reviews and the fact that they tout the salary and bonus so much in the job listings. Must be paying for hard servitude.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult or unexpected questions. Scripted questions. Identical to the other Glassdoor reviewers. Almost like a personality test and very lengthy.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Castro Valley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Castro Valley, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Public Storage.

One Phone screen and 2 interviews. One ride-along with an exisiting Distirct manager. Process was fast and easy maybe takes 3 weeks to complete. First in person interview took about 2 hours.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in February 2014.

The interview process is a 30 minute phone interview with the Regional V.P. Once the phone interview is complete, there will be a 2 hour interview with two individuals, usually the regional V.P.'s in your area. You will then be asked to do a half day "ride along" with a local DM to see what they do in their typical day. If you make it to this point, you will have a 1 hour interview with the Divisional V.P. who is over the Regional V.P.'s. At this point, you will be asked to fly to Glendale, California for a 1 hour interview with the C.O.O. Shawn Weidman. Public Storage is very unprofessional in the way they do business. I was called and set up a time for a phone interview on a Thursday evening at 7pm. I planned my family's time around this call, but the call never came. A wee later, I got a call from the Regional V.P. Dan Fabricant stating that he was sorry but Outlook must have deleted the appointment. I continued through the process against my better judgment. At the end of the process, I was asked to fly to California to meet with the C.O.O. during spring break on 1 days notice. I made it happen and flew into Los Angeles, arriving at 8:30pm on Wednesday night. After a 45 minute cab ride, I made it to the hotel that was arranged for me. I got into bed at around 11pm (1am Dallas time), with a 8am interview scheduled on Thursday morning. After getting up at 6am on Thursday morning, I called a cab. Made it to Public Storage offices which was only 10 minutes from the hotel at 7:15am. l sat in the lobby of Public Storage until 8:30am for a 8am interview. After meeting Mr. Weidmann in person, I see the issue with Public Storage. He is a very self-absorbed person. I made it from Dallas, TX to California on a days notice, and was 45 minutes early for the interview. Mr. Weidmann, living local I would guess, can't make it there for a scheduled interview. Poor leadership at best!

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest challenge? They will ask this question about high school, college, and every job you have ever had. They will also ask your high points of each, but it seems that it's often more difficult to come up with the challenges.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Phone screen, Regional Manager interview, District Manager ride along, Divisional Manager interview, COO interview at Corp Office.

Your references carry a lot of weight and will be checked. Your entire resume will be reviewed. PS does not promote Property Managers to DM, we are all outside hires. The goal is to identify individuals that demonstrate similar work experience and a track record of proven performance. We are looking for people that can succeed at the level they are interviewing all the way up to a Regional or Divisional position.

Interview Questions
    • Every question will require a thought out response. Canned answers fall short. You'll need to be comfortable with open dialog about your opportunities.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating. Starting wage is advertised in job announcement. Expenses are reimbursed and typically include milage, tolls, and phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in January 2014.

This was the most unprofessional disorganized interview I have ever been part of. The person called 30 minutes prior to the interview needing to reschedule for later in the day. When she rang later in the day she seemed hurried, obviously had not read my resume prior to the call, and worst of all was clearly reading from a script and could not change based on my previous answers. It is as if she felt the only way to interview was to do it from a canned script and had no idea what to do with the answers.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview she indicated that if I had questions for her now was the time to ask. I asked her: "Based on my resume, and my skills and abilities, how do you think a person like me would do at this position." Her response was: "Well, I do not know much about your background, so I cannot answer that." This was after the supposed interview and after she supposedly read my resume. I am very disappointed that a company such as this has such low standards for the training of their interviewers. I also asked her of her background prior to coming to into the storage game, she indicated that it was with a Blockbuster Video store, I tried to draw comparisons from her previous job to the one she has now to see if she could see where my background could come in helpful...she was unable to do so. For the record, I have extensive multiunit management of hotels and work with REIT's, something I thought would be very transferable. I guess not, got the form letter today that they were not interested.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

Initial phone interview was about 1 hour and very detailed questions were asked around P+L and management style. In person interview was very long over 2.5 hours and on location. Asked about all direct reports from the last 3 years and breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses. I was given some opportunity to ask probing questions at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

Decided I was more comfortable with were I was currently.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  South Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in South Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Public Storage in March 2013.

applied online, got a call. The process was fairly quick and easy enough. I applied in houston, texas and It was made clear very early that they were interested in candidates open to relocation to areas near by. Questions were pretty straight forward trying to legitmazie the information I provided. I answered the questions and had to call back on my own to get the sad news.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2009.

Took weeks to get interview then several more weeks and then an interview with Div. president and another with the CEO...

Interview Questions
    • the usual questions as if scripted from a generic interview guild   Answer Question

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!