Public Storage

2.5

Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chamblee, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in July 2013.

Interview process was fairly straight forward. After submitting an application I was given a phone interview about two weeks later for about 20 minutes, basically just to verify my work history and resume as well as explaining the duties of the job. Afterwards I was contacted by a district manager to set up an interview. The 2nd interview was conducted by two managers, and lasted about 30 minutes. They asked me many questions, mainly aimed at seeing if I was being honest about my work experience and also to get to know my personality. Despite being a lower paying manager job ($10/hr), it was a somewhat difficult interview and very thorough. I was put "on the spot" a few times, with some interview questions being open-ended such as what did I do to prepare for this interview, how I felt about work safety, and even what superpower would I pick if I could choose one (a question to gauge my personality I believe). I was made an offer after the interview, and told I would get the job after passing a drug screening at Concentra within 48 hours and after a background check had been conducted.

Interview Questions
    • After being asked my favorite and least favorite things about sales, I was then given a Public Storage lock and told to sell it to the manager interviewing me. I admit I was not expecting this. Since I was completely unfamiliar with the product, I took a deep breath before proceeding with my winged sales pitch.   View Answer
    Since I needed a job, I did not negotiate. I don't believe it would've possible anyways.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in January 2014.

This was the most unprofessional disorganized interview I have ever been part of. The person called 30 minutes prior to the interview needing to reschedule for later in the day. When she rang later in the day she seemed hurried, obviously had not read my resume prior to the call, and worst of all was clearly reading from a script and could not change based on my previous answers. It is as if she felt the only way to interview was to do it from a canned script and had no idea what to do with the answers.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview she indicated that if I had questions for her now was the time to ask. I asked her: "Based on my resume, and my skills and abilities, how do you think a person like me would do at this position." Her response was: "Well, I do not know much about your background, so I cannot answer that." This was after the supposed interview and after she supposedly read my resume. I am very disappointed that a company such as this has such low standards for the training of their interviewers. I also asked her of her background prior to coming to into the storage game, she indicated that it was with a Blockbuster Video store, I tried to draw comparisons from her previous job to the one she has now to see if she could see where my background could come in helpful...she was unable to do so. For the record, I have extensive multiunit management of hotels and work with REIT's, something I thought would be very transferable. I guess not, got the form letter today that they were not interested.   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Phone screen, Regional Manager interview, District Manager ride along, Divisional Manager interview, COO interview at Corp Office.

Your references carry a lot of weight and will be checked. Your entire resume will be reviewed. PS does not promote Property Managers to DM, we are all outside hires. The goal is to identify individuals that demonstrate similar work experience and a track record of proven performance. We are looking for people that can succeed at the level they are interviewing all the way up to a Regional or Divisional position.

Interview Questions
    • Every question will require a thought out response. Canned answers fall short. You'll need to be comfortable with open dialog about your opportunities.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating. Starting wage is advertised in job announcement. Expenses are reimbursed and typically include milage, tolls, and phone.

Property Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

1. Apply at publistoragejobs.com
    2. Either approach a current staff member and seek out a referral, or you'll have no other choice but to wait for recruiting to contact you. There is no way for you to follow up on your application on your own.
    3. Once recruiter contacts you will be interviewed a minimum of 3 times.
    4. After successfully completing the interview process, they will make a hiring offer.
    5. Once you accept their offer, the company will conduct a thorough background check and a drug screening, before you will be onboarded.
    6. After being onboarded, paid training will begin.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process is completely scripted.
      You will be asked about the 3 most positive and negative experiences during your highest level of educational instruction.
      You will be asked about 3 positives and 3 negatives from your last 3 jobs.
      You will be asked how you could have exceeded the positives and resolved the negatives.
      You will be asked what your most trying time in life has been to date.
        View Answer
    There is zero negation in the field management positions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in February 2014.

The interview process is a 30 minute phone interview with the Regional V.P. Once the phone interview is complete, there will be a 2 hour interview with two individuals, usually the regional V.P.'s in your area. You will then be asked to do a half day "ride along" with a local DM to see what they do in their typical day. If you make it to this point, you will have a 1 hour interview with the Divisional V.P. who is over the Regional V.P.'s. At this point, you will be asked to fly to Glendale, California for a 1 hour interview with the C.O.O. Shawn Weidman. Public Storage is very unprofessional in the way they do business. I was called and set up a time for a phone interview on a Thursday evening at 7pm. I planned my family's time around this call, but the call never came. A wee later, I got a call from the Regional V.P. Dan Fabricant stating that he was sorry but Outlook must have deleted the appointment. I continued through the process against my better judgment. At the end of the process, I was asked to fly to California to meet with the C.O.O. during spring break on 1 days notice. I made it happen and flew into Los Angeles, arriving at 8:30pm on Wednesday night. After a 45 minute cab ride, I made it to the hotel that was arranged for me. I got into bed at around 11pm (1am Dallas time), with a 8am interview scheduled on Thursday morning. After getting up at 6am on Thursday morning, I called a cab. Made it to Public Storage offices which was only 10 minutes from the hotel at 7:15am. l sat in the lobby of Public Storage until 8:30am for a 8am interview. After meeting Mr. Weidmann in person, I see the issue with Public Storage. He is a very self-absorbed person. I made it from Dallas, TX to California on a days notice, and was 45 minutes early for the interview. Mr. Weidmann, living local I would guess, can't make it there for a scheduled interview. Poor leadership at best!

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest challenge? They will ask this question about high school, college, and every job you have ever had. They will also ask your high points of each, but it seems that it's often more difficult to come up with the challenges.   Answer Question

DM Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Long - lots of questions and people to meet

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in March 2014.

I applied online for the position and was contacted fairly quickly. I spoke with the current DM of the area I applied to and a few preliminary questions were asked. Basic background info was covered. At the end of this conversation a second phone interview was set up. This second interview was much more in depth and lasted about half an hour. During this time I learned that the company was hiring people to train into the DM program, but not start as DM's.

Interview Questions
    • What rank were you in you area vs peer DM's? What would it take for you to be #1?   Answer Question

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

The interview process is a long one. You are contacted first by a recruiter who goes through the basic details with you and then are contacted by a Regional Manager. You have a brief phone interview and then are asked to come in for what will be one of the longest interviews of your life.

You sit with a Regional Manager and are asked the following questions:
    What were your two highs and lows of HIGH SCHOOL?
    What were your two highs and lows of COLLEGE?
    On your last 3 jobs you're asked:
    What were you hired to do?
    What were your two accomplishments?
    What were your two opportunities?
    What would you do differently?
    What would your boss say about you?
    What did you think of your boss?
    What was it like working with them?
    Can you spell their name?

You are then contacted by the Divisional and it's a phone interview if it's not geographically feasible or a face to face if you're close by. Same questions as above. If you pass this portion, they will call you again to go to the Glendale office and sit with senior executive team, Shawn Weidmann. That interview goes over all the same things as above and is really just for him to sign off on hiring you. If Shawn doesn't like you though, you will not get the position.

Process takes around 2 weeks and then it's a giant background check with the worst (aka cheapest) company ever.

Interview Questions
    There is no negotiation. It's $75k plus $16k first year bonus.

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Santa Ana, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Ana, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in December 2011.

Two interviews in Southern California and one interview in Georgia. The interview in Georgia was a fly out and fly back in the same day. It was a relatively straight-forward interview process. They were good about communicating the next steps and for staying in touch. The administrative assistant was on top of things, including communicating the travel arrangements.

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall any particular question that threw me off. I may have hestitated in a response when I was told that I will be given more work than I can complete.   View Answer
    No negotiation. Everyone gets paid the same. It does not matter what the cost-of-living is in your particular metropolitan area.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Castro Valley, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Castro Valley, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Public Storage.

One Phone screen and 2 interviews. One ride-along with an exisiting Distirct manager. Process was fast and easy maybe takes 3 weeks to complete. First in person interview took about 2 hours.

Interview Questions

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!