Public Storage Interview Questions

Updated Mar 25, 2015

2.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Public Storage in March 2013.

After applying, I received a phone call. I had an interview with a recruiter. A few days later I received a phone call from the district manager. Then, a call from the senior district manager. After the calls I came in for an in person interview with the district manager. The manager was very nice.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Public Storage in August 2011.

it been so long don't remember, I haven done an interview in over 10 years. I just cane remember any question that was asked. just be you and answer all question as good u can be.

Interview Questions
    • are u able to work in fast pace environment   View Answer

Relief Manager Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview was short and rushed as i was not the only applicant. They hired me and 2 other people at the same time. There isn't much to tell, standard questions. Was 3 years ago, I've slept since then...

Property Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Public Storage.

They ask about your strengths and weaknesses and what your prior boss would say about you. You have to have a current DL and transportation to work here. Good working hours 9:30 am - 6 pm.

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in October 2014.

Smooth and well run but a very long day of final interviews. I did well - but I'm good at interviewing and even I became exhausted saying the same thing over and over again. Questions in all interviews were very similar so it became repetitive.

Interview Questions
    • Many questions on weaknesses. More than an average interview...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Public Storage in January 2015.

The interview was very lengthy ( 1 1/2 hrs), so be prepared. Based on the employees I saw, the company presents a very blue collar image. The man who gave me a tour of the facility was very adamant about the job security. Offered by the company. Anyone who wants to work for public storage should be self aware, practical, organized and responsible.

Interview Questions
    • what extra curriculum activities where you involved in during high school?   View Answer
    There were no negotiations. The pay will increase by .50¢ after 6 months.

District Manager Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Public Storage.

Public Storage likes to think that they have a detailed interview process, however they simply follow the "A" Method interview guide. They complete a phone screen with you and if you pass the phone screen you will meet for an in person interview where they follow "A" Method. Simply look this up prior to your interview and you will be well prepared--there is a book if you really want go overboard. It's a chronological interview and they are looking for three high points and low points--they begin with your time in high school, college, and your job history. If they like you they will send you for a "DM Ride Along" where you will spend a few hours with a local District Manager. The DM will send them a report of what they think and again, if they like you they will pass you on to the Divisional VP, and they will prep you for that interview. IF the Divisional VP approves they will send you to California to interview with the COO. Again...if they like you, but they don't think you will do well with the COO they will spend a few hours prepping you for that interview. Kind of a joke...

Interview Questions
    • Honestly there are no difficult questions because they follow the set plan for "A" Method. You can nail it if you are prepared. They are just looking for you to respond and give them three pluses and three negatives. Experience used to be a requirement, but they have really dropped that in favor of a much younger audience. If you are 35 and over you need not apply as you are not what they are looking for at this time. The trend is to hire right out of college with little or no experience.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiation. The salary and bonus program are fixed and will not be changed.

Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Public Storage in April 2014.

Company held a open house at it's headquarters and over 30 applicants applied. Interview conducted the same day for select applicants. A few days later I was offered the position and a meeting with scheduled with the local district manager.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time at work when you failed to make a customer happy.   Answer Question
    Pay rate is set in stone with no possibility of negotiating. Small pay increase of 50 cents after 6 months. You may become a trainer or safety coordinator for an extra $1/hour. Cannot be promoted to management internally.

Relief Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Public Storage in September 2014.

Applied online and received a phone call the next day. The first step in the interviewing process consisted of a phone screening with the District Manager. The DM basically asks if you can perform the necessary duties, please tell me about yourself and your past experience, then sets up a face to face interview (which for me was the next week). Before the face to face, I recommend focusing on STAR interview techniques (Situation, Task, Action, Result) so you will be well prepared. It was not difficult at all, but somewhat redundant. If you answer the questions well and do a great job in describing your past work experience you will be fine. After face to face with DM, you will have to interview with the Regional Manager. The RM asks you basically the same things but in less time (more or less like the phone screening but in person). After this you will do background check, drug test and walk through the location to see what they do on daily basis.

Interview Questions
    • Remember STAR technique and your answers will flow in a formal and consistent way. This will apply to mostly all of their questions. Here are a few questions to give you an idea

1. Give me a time where you gave excellent customer service?
      2. Give me a time where you could have done better? (Work or personal)
      3. What did you like and dislike about your past or current job?
      4. Tell me about High School and what you were proud of and could have done better?
      5. Tell me about your last three jobs (Two things you were happy you accomplished in that job and two things you could have done better)
      6. Why are you willing to leave your job?
      7. What do you like about your supervisor (Last three jobs)
      8. Tell me about how you sell?
      9. What are your best and worst characteristics?
      10. Looking back what would you have done differently if you knew the outcome in your past jobs?
      11. Sell me this pen..

They do care about you as a person and how this job will make you better. In your interview emphasize sells, providing urgent care, handling yourself in a professional manner, having fun and enjoying people and you will do fine. Remember to ask questions to make yourself more available to learning more about the company and if this best suits you and your goals.

View Answer
    No negotiation, but it is Full-time and you get PTO and bonuses. The next promotion up is Property Manager, but that's it as far as climbing up in the company. Although if you go to school and receive a degree I am sure you will have a better chance at working in a different area of the company.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Public Storage in November 2014.

Apply online .Get phone interview if passed get called in face to face.
    You meet Dm and Regional manager for last two interviews.
    Background check,Drug,references,call past employers.
    That's basic it in a nutshell

Interview Questions
    • What opportunity did you have on your last job 2 negatives,Then asked 2 positives   Answer Question