Public Storage

Updated Jul 17, 2014

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews

Santa Ana, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in December 2011.

Interview Details – Two interviews in Southern California and one interview in Georgia. The interview in Georgia was a fly out and fly back in the same day. It was a relatively straight-forward interview process. They were good about communicating the next steps and for staying in touch. The administrative assistant was on top of things, including communicating the travel arrangements.

Interview Question – I do not recall any particular question that threw me off. I may have hestitated in a response when I was told that I will be given more work than I can complete.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Everyone gets paid the same. It does not matter what the cost-of-living is in your particular metropolitan area.

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position and was contacted fairly quickly. I spoke with the current DM of the area I applied to and a few preliminary questions were asked. Basic background info was covered. At the end of this conversation a second phone interview was set up. This second interview was much more in depth and lasted about half an hour. During this time I learned that the company was hiring people to train into the DM program, but not start as DM's.

Interview Question – What rank were you in you area vs peer DM's? What would it take for you to be #1?   Answer Question

District Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview Details – Very fast process. Phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. Basic questions about your direct reports. Following week had face to face with two Regional Managers at their corporate office. Just got a notice I didn't make the cut. Seems like a great company to work for. Will try again.

Interview Question – Face to Face they ask you to give them 3 low points and 3 high points you've had in High School, College, and professional career.   Answer Question

District Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview with Senior District Manager. Was supposed to be 45 minutes, but ended up being over 90. Got a call back within an hour to fly out the next week for a second interview in-person (scheduled for 3 hours). Was told that the position was for a DM-in-training. Didn't get much information at all about the position or demands during the phone interview, so I asked about work/life balance, percentage of travel, and vacation/time-off accrual (all logical questions that most anyone would want to know before accepting an offer). Really just wanted to compare to my previous career. I got another call saying that there were "concerns about our alignment" and that they were going to pass on moving forward with me. Evidently the organization doesn't care much for what they can provide the employee in exchange for their hard work. It's too bad that they pass on people with proven excellent record of results just because they inquire about work/life balance. Doesn't sound very people-oriented. I was already suspicious based on the employee reviews and the fact that they tout the salary and bonus so much in the job listings. Must be paying for hard servitude.

Interview Question – No difficult or unexpected questions. Scripted questions. Identical to the other Glassdoor reviewers. Almost like a personality test and very lengthy.   Answer Question

Jersey City, NJ

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview Details – I had send my resume on friday, immediately after I received a phone call to set up a conference call with the Sr.DM and VP. We had a 15min conversation, I thought all went well but WITH IN 2 hours I received an email that they didn't think I was the right person for the job. I did not see that coming to be honest. A few questions they asked me:
What do you know of the company, what would your formal supervisor tell about you, how would this person rate you on a scale from 1-10. You have to tell what your strength is and also weakness. Prepare a few questions yourself for at the end of the conversation. You need to tell them about your management skills.
I hope I will have better luck next time. Good luck to all that apply. It looks like a great company to work for.

Interview Question – What would your last supervisor say about you.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Property Manager Interview

Property Manager
Charlotte, NC

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Public Storage in April 2014.

Interview Details – They ask you about your previous employers (honesty is the best policy). They ask you what you would like from an employer. It is usually a two interview process. They also ask you to tell about different things you've experienced with previous employers that you felt you could have handled better or have learned from.

Interview Question – Your strengths and weaknesses and how you can improve.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Did not negotiate I loved the benefits.

Castro Valley, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview Details – One Phone screen and 2 interviews. One ride-along with an exisiting Distirct manager. Process was fast and easy maybe takes 3 weeks to complete. First in person interview took about 2 hours.

Interview Question – What oppurtunities do you have?   Answer Question

Property Manager Interview

Property Manager

Interviewed at Public Storage

Interview Details – 2 weeks one phone interview and 2 in person with DM and regional manager drug and back ground test take about one week to get results back they well ask what are your strengths and weakness

Interview Question – what are your weakness   Answer Question

Relief Manager Interview

Relief Manager
Los Angeles, CA

Interviewed at Public Storage

Interview Details – Applied online was called the next day. 3 interviews: phone with recruiting manager, in person with district manager & regional manager. It helps if you were referred by a current employee. Currently in the interview stages, phone interview occurred recently

Interview Question – Was asked 3 biggest strengths & 3 biggest weaknesses. FYI they don't generally promote within the company but they do seek long term candidates for the relief manager position. Mention you are looking for a long term position. They do check references, conduct background check & drug testing. If you are currently employed and planning to quit be prepared to tell them why... they will ask   Answer Question

PS On Site Manager Interview

PS On Site Manager
Los Angeles, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in March 2013.

Interview Details – PS was professional and direct about the opportunity. Initially looked upon this as an interim job to carry me through a career change but it was clear that for PS this is serious business and the process allowed me to recalibrate and avoid a bad match based upon my short term goals.

Interview Question – Are you a leader? Please cite two examples of a leadership success from your past?   View Answer

Reason for Declining – I wanted a low-stress interim job and not a career path in PS retail operations. They seem like a good outfit for the right individual.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!