Public Storage

65 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Very Easy Interview

Middletown, NJ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in April 2012.

Interview Details – Extremely simple interview. There is nothing difficult about it whatsoever. They will hire anybody. Just make sure you don't say you are looking for a company you can grow in because you cannot be promoted beyond property manager.

DM Interview

DM

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview Details – Long - lots of questions and people to meet

Interview Question – How my time in high school went.   Answer Question

Dallas, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in February 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process is a 30 minute phone interview with the Regional V.P. Once the phone interview is complete, there will be a 2 hour interview with two individuals, usually the regional V.P.'s in your area. You will then be asked to do a half day "ride along" with a local DM to see what they do in their typical day. If you make it to this point, you will have a 1 hour interview with the Divisional V.P. who is over the Regional V.P.'s. At this point, you will be asked to fly to Glendale, California for a 1 hour interview with the C.O.O. Shawn Weidman. Public Storage is very unprofessional in the way they do business. I was called and set up a time for a phone interview on a Thursday evening at 7pm. I planned my family's time around this call, but the call never came. A wee later, I got a call from the Regional V.P. Dan Fabricant stating that he was sorry but Outlook must have deleted the appointment. I continued through the process against my better judgment. At the end of the process, I was asked to fly to California to meet with the C.O.O. during spring break on 1 days notice. I made it happen and flew into Los Angeles, arriving at 8:30pm on Wednesday night. After a 45 minute cab ride, I made it to the hotel that was arranged for me. I got into bed at around 11pm (1am Dallas time), with a 8am interview scheduled on Thursday morning. After getting up at 6am on Thursday morning, I called a cab. Made it to Public Storage offices which was only 10 minutes from the hotel at 7:15am. l sat in the lobby of Public Storage until 8:30am for a 8am interview. After meeting Mr. Weidmann in person, I see the issue with Public Storage. He is a very self-absorbed person. I made it from Dallas, TX to California on a days notice, and was 45 minutes early for the interview. Mr. Weidmann, living local I would guess, can't make it there for a scheduled interview. Poor leadership at best!

Interview Question – What was your biggest challenge? They will ask this question about high school, college, and every job you have ever had. They will also ask your high points of each, but it seems that it's often more difficult to come up with the challenges.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview Details – The interview was quite tedious in hindsight. I had to go through 3 interviews to get an entry level position.

Interview Question – Would you be willing to work for a company that does not propmote internally?   Answer Question

Orlando, FL

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Public Storage in May 2011.

Interview Details – Got an e-mail about my candidacy and asked that I call to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview and initial communication was enjoyable and professional. Everything seemed to be communicated well and expectations were accurately set. The onsite interview was also enjoyable while a little unorganized.

Administrative Assistance Interview

Administrative Assistance

Interviewed at Public Storage

Interview Details – Interview with District Manager

Interview Question – How did you handle a difficult customer situation?   Answer Question

Property Manager Interview

Property Manager

Interview Details – 1. Apply at publistoragejobs.com
2. Either approach a current staff member and seek out a referral, or you'll have no other choice but to wait for recruiting to contact you. There is no way for you to follow up on your application on your own.
3. Once recruiter contacts you will be interviewed a minimum of 3 times.
4. After successfully completing the interview process, they will make a hiring offer.
5. Once you accept their offer, the company will conduct a thorough background check and a drug screening, before you will be onboarded.
6. After being onboarded, paid training will begin.

Interview Question – The interview process is completely scripted.
You will be asked about the 3 most positive and negative experiences during your highest level of educational instruction.
You will be asked about 3 positives and 3 negatives from your last 3 jobs.
You will be asked how you could have exceeded the positives and resolved the negatives.
You will be asked what your most trying time in life has been to date.
  View Answer

Negotiation Details – There is zero negation in the field management positions.

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview Details – Phone screen, Regional Manager interview, District Manager ride along, Divisional Manager interview, COO interview at Corp Office.

Your references carry a lot of weight and will be checked. Your entire resume will be reviewed. PS does not promote Property Managers to DM, we are all outside hires. The goal is to identify individuals that demonstrate similar work experience and a track record of proven performance. We are looking for people that can succeed at the level they are interviewing all the way up to a Regional or Divisional position.

Interview Question – Every question will require a thought out response. Canned answers fall short. You'll need to be comfortable with open dialog about your opportunities.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There is no negotiating. Starting wage is advertised in job announcement. Expenses are reimbursed and typically include milage, tolls, and phone.

Property Manager Interview

Property Manager

I applied online and interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview Details – Must Apply at www.publistoragejobs.com
Recruiter must contact you to schedule interview.
2-3 Interviews at Field Level
Drug Testing
Job Offer
Background Testing
Training Will Start After Results Come Back Positively

Interview Question – Simple interview process.--Sell me this pen.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiating is not an option at field level.

Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in January 2014.

Interview Details – This was the most unprofessional disorganized interview I have ever been part of. The person called 30 minutes prior to the interview needing to reschedule for later in the day. When she rang later in the day she seemed hurried, obviously had not read my resume prior to the call, and worst of all was clearly reading from a script and could not change based on my previous answers. It is as if she felt the only way to interview was to do it from a canned script and had no idea what to do with the answers.

Interview Question – At the end of the interview she indicated that if I had questions for her now was the time to ask. I asked her: "Based on my resume, and my skills and abilities, how do you think a person like me would do at this position." Her response was: "Well, I do not know much about your background, so I cannot answer that." This was after the supposed interview and after she supposedly read my resume. I am very disappointed that a company such as this has such low standards for the training of their interviewers. I also asked her of her background prior to coming to into the storage game, she indicated that it was with a Blockbuster Video store, I tried to draw comparisons from her previous job to the one she has now to see if she could see where my background could come in helpful...she was unable to do so. For the record, I have extensive multiunit management of hotels and work with REIT's, something I thought would be very transferable. I guess not, got the form letter today that they were not interested.   Answer Question