Public Storage

2.5

PS On Site Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in March 2013.

PS was professional and direct about the opportunity. Initially looked upon this as an interim job to carry me through a career change but it was clear that for PS this is serious business and the process allowed me to recalibrate and avoid a bad match based upon my short term goals.

Interview Questions
    • Are you a leader? Please cite two examples of a leadership success from your past?   View Answer

I wanted a low-stress interim job and not a career path in PS retail operations. They seem like a good outfit for the right individual.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Middletown, NJ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Middletown, NJ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in April 2012.

Extremely simple interview. There is nothing difficult about it whatsoever. They will hire anybody. Just make sure you don't say you are looking for a company you can grow in because you cannot be promoted beyond property manager.

DM Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Long - lots of questions and people to meet

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage in February 2014.

The interview process is a 30 minute phone interview with the Regional V.P. Once the phone interview is complete, there will be a 2 hour interview with two individuals, usually the regional V.P.'s in your area. You will then be asked to do a half day "ride along" with a local DM to see what they do in their typical day. If you make it to this point, you will have a 1 hour interview with the Divisional V.P. who is over the Regional V.P.'s. At this point, you will be asked to fly to Glendale, California for a 1 hour interview with the C.O.O. Shawn Weidman. Public Storage is very unprofessional in the way they do business. I was called and set up a time for a phone interview on a Thursday evening at 7pm. I planned my family's time around this call, but the call never came. A wee later, I got a call from the Regional V.P. Dan Fabricant stating that he was sorry but Outlook must have deleted the appointment. I continued through the process against my better judgment. At the end of the process, I was asked to fly to California to meet with the C.O.O. during spring break on 1 days notice. I made it happen and flew into Los Angeles, arriving at 8:30pm on Wednesday night. After a 45 minute cab ride, I made it to the hotel that was arranged for me. I got into bed at around 11pm (1am Dallas time), with a 8am interview scheduled on Thursday morning. After getting up at 6am on Thursday morning, I called a cab. Made it to Public Storage offices which was only 10 minutes from the hotel at 7:15am. l sat in the lobby of Public Storage until 8:30am for a 8am interview. After meeting Mr. Weidmann in person, I see the issue with Public Storage. He is a very self-absorbed person. I made it from Dallas, TX to California on a days notice, and was 45 minutes early for the interview. Mr. Weidmann, living local I would guess, can't make it there for a scheduled interview. Poor leadership at best!

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest challenge? They will ask this question about high school, college, and every job you have ever had. They will also ask your high points of each, but it seems that it's often more difficult to come up with the challenges.   Answer Question

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

The interview was quite tedious in hindsight. I had to go through 3 interviews to get an entry level position.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to work for a company that does not propmote internally?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Public Storage in May 2011.

Got an e-mail about my candidacy and asked that I call to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview and initial communication was enjoyable and professional. Everything seemed to be communicated well and expectations were accurately set. The onsite interview was also enjoyable while a little unorganized.

Administrative Assistance Interview

Interview with District Manager

Property Manager Interview

1. Apply at publistoragejobs.com
    2. Either approach a current staff member and seek out a referral, or you'll have no other choice but to wait for recruiting to contact you. There is no way for you to follow up on your application on your own.
    3. Once recruiter contacts you will be interviewed a minimum of 3 times.
    4. After successfully completing the interview process, they will make a hiring offer.
    5. Once you accept their offer, the company will conduct a thorough background check and a drug screening, before you will be onboarded.
    6. After being onboarded, paid training will begin.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process is completely scripted.
      You will be asked about the 3 most positive and negative experiences during your highest level of educational instruction.
      You will be asked about 3 positives and 3 negatives from your last 3 jobs.
      You will be asked how you could have exceeded the positives and resolved the negatives.
      You will be asked what your most trying time in life has been to date.
        View Answer
    There is zero negation in the field management positions.

Property Manager Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Public Storage.

Must Apply at www.publistoragejobs.com
    Recruiter must contact you to schedule interview.
    2-3 Interviews at Field Level
    Drug Testing
    Job Offer
    Background Testing
    Training Will Start After Results Come Back Positively

Interview Questions
    Negotiating is not an option at field level.

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Public Storage.

Phone screen, Regional Manager interview, District Manager ride along, Divisional Manager interview, COO interview at Corp Office.

Your references carry a lot of weight and will be checked. Your entire resume will be reviewed. PS does not promote Property Managers to DM, we are all outside hires. The goal is to identify individuals that demonstrate similar work experience and a track record of proven performance. We are looking for people that can succeed at the level they are interviewing all the way up to a Regional or Divisional position.

Interview Questions
    • Every question will require a thought out response. Canned answers fall short. You'll need to be comfortable with open dialog about your opportunities.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating. Starting wage is advertised in job announcement. Expenses are reimbursed and typically include milage, tolls, and phone.