Public Storage

2.5

District Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in January 2014.

This was the most unprofessional disorganized interview I have ever been part of. The person called 30 minutes prior to the interview needing to reschedule for later in the day. When she rang later in the day she seemed hurried, obviously had not read my resume prior to the call, and worst of all was clearly reading from a script and could not change based on my previous answers. It is as if she felt the only way to interview was to do it from a canned script and had no idea what to do with the answers.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview she indicated that if I had questions for her now was the time to ask. I asked her: "Based on my resume, and my skills and abilities, how do you think a person like me would do at this position." Her response was: "Well, I do not know much about your background, so I cannot answer that." This was after the supposed interview and after she supposedly read my resume. I am very disappointed that a company such as this has such low standards for the training of their interviewers. I also asked her of her background prior to coming to into the storage game, she indicated that it was with a Blockbuster Video store, I tried to draw comparisons from her previous job to the one she has now to see if she could see where my background could come in helpful...she was unable to do so. For the record, I have extensive multiunit management of hotels and work with REIT's, something I thought would be very transferable. I guess not, got the form letter today that they were not interested.   Answer Question

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Public Storage in December 2013.

Recruiter called me the next day. Asked me about 6 questions, 5 of which was why I was no longer working at my last job, only one question was about the job itself.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me one question: What do you consider yourself to be really good at?"   View Answer

Relief Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Public Storage.

apply online, there will be a phone interview, followed by a face to face with a District manager. interview depends on wordiness of DM, but should last about an hour

Interview Questions
    hourly rate is across the board.

District Manager Interview

Initial phone interview was about 1 hour and very detailed questions were asked around P+L and management style. In person interview was very long over 2.5 hours and on location. Asked about all direct reports from the last 3 years and breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses. I was given some opportunity to ask probing questions at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

Decided I was more comfortable with were I was currently.

Public Storage Retail Associate Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Public Storage.

I applied around midnight online and received a call the next day from HR. They did a little interview over the phone. Mainly to talk about previous work and resume. I then got called from a manager about an hour later. Scheduled an interview for the following day. Interview lasted for about 10 minutes. Later on in the day I received a phone call from the manager to schedule a second interview with the district manager. It was scheduled for the following day. That interview lasted about 7 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Just basic questions. Tell me about yourself. Why public storage.   Answer Question

Property Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Public Storage.

very easy interview. One phone with HR rep,one face to face with DM,and a super quick one with RM (same day) typical questions.

Interview Questions
    • very straight forward interview. Felt like I had the job before it even started   Answer Question

Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chamblee, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in July 2013.

Interview process was fairly straight forward. After submitting an application I was given a phone interview about two weeks later for about 20 minutes, basically just to verify my work history and resume as well as explaining the duties of the job. Afterwards I was contacted by a district manager to set up an interview. The 2nd interview was conducted by two managers, and lasted about 30 minutes. They asked me many questions, mainly aimed at seeing if I was being honest about my work experience and also to get to know my personality. Despite being a lower paying manager job ($10/hr), it was a somewhat difficult interview and very thorough. I was put "on the spot" a few times, with some interview questions being open-ended such as what did I do to prepare for this interview, how I felt about work safety, and even what superpower would I pick if I could choose one (a question to gauge my personality I believe). I was made an offer after the interview, and told I would get the job after passing a drug screening at Concentra within 48 hours and after a background check had been conducted.

Interview Questions
    • After being asked my favorite and least favorite things about sales, I was then given a Public Storage lock and told to sell it to the manager interviewing me. I admit I was not expecting this. Since I was completely unfamiliar with the product, I took a deep breath before proceeding with my winged sales pitch.   View Answer
    Since I needed a job, I did not negotiate. I don't believe it would've possible anyways.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kent, WA

I applied online – interviewed at Public Storage in June 2013.

Company was missing District Manager. Had to interview with subordinate .

Interview Questions
    • Why should we hire you? What do you bring to Public storage?   View Answer
    Loballed my salary

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in March 2013.

Hiring was easy, first you'll get a phone call from the HR who will ask you a couple of questions about your background history and then you'll be asked to do a formal interview. Once at the formal interview they'll ask questions like "name a time you went above and beyond" or "when you provided the greatest customer service."

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult is when they hand you an object (lets say a highlighter) and they say "sell this to me"   Answer Question
    There are NO negotiations usually they have the amount you will earn when you fill out the application. Also there is NO advancement.

PS On Site Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in March 2013.

PS was professional and direct about the opportunity. Initially looked upon this as an interim job to carry me through a career change but it was clear that for PS this is serious business and the process allowed me to recalibrate and avoid a bad match based upon my short term goals.

Interview Questions
    • Are you a leader? Please cite two examples of a leadership success from your past?   View Answer

I wanted a low-stress interim job and not a career path in PS retail operations. They seem like a good outfit for the right individual.