Public Storage Interview Questions

Updated Jun 25, 2015

2.5

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

The interview process is a long one. You are contacted first by a recruiter who goes through the basic details with you and then are contacted by a Regional Manager. You have a brief phone interview and then are asked to come in for what will be one of the longest interviews of your life.

You sit with a Regional Manager and are asked the following questions:
    What were your two highs and lows of HIGH SCHOOL?
    What were your two highs and lows of COLLEGE?
    On your last 3 jobs you're asked:
    What were you hired to do?
    What were your two accomplishments?
    What were your two opportunities?
    What would you do differently?
    What would your boss say about you?
    What did you think of your boss?
    What was it like working with them?
    Can you spell their name?

You are then contacted by the Divisional and it's a phone interview if it's not geographically feasible or a face to face if you're close by. Same questions as above. If you pass this portion, they will call you again to go to the Glendale office and sit with senior executive team, Shawn Weidmann. That interview goes over all the same things as above and is really just for him to sign off on hiring you. If Shawn doesn't like you though, you will not get the position.

Process takes around 2 weeks and then it's a giant background check with the worst (aka cheapest) company ever.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It's $75k plus $16k first year bonus.

Relief Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Public Storage in September 2014.

Interview

Applied online and received a phone call the next day. The first step in the interviewing process consisted of a phone screening with the District Manager. The DM basically asks if you can perform the necessary duties, please tell me about yourself and your past experience, then sets up a face to face interview (which for me was the next week). Before the face to face, I recommend focusing on STAR interview techniques (Situation, Task, Action, Result) so you will be well prepared. It was not difficult at all, but somewhat redundant. If you answer the questions well and do a great job in describing your past work experience you will be fine. After face to face with DM, you will have to interview with the Regional Manager. The RM asks you basically the same things but in less time (more or less like the phone screening but in person). After this you will do background check, drug test and walk through the location to see what they do on daily basis.

Interview Questions

• Remember STAR technique and your answers will flow in a formal and consistent way. This will apply to mostly all of their questions. Here are a few questions to give you an idea

1. Give me a time where you gave excellent customer service?
      2. Give me a time where you could have done better? (Work or personal)
      3. What did you like and dislike about your past or current job?
      4. Tell me about High School and what you were proud of and could have done better?
      5. Tell me about your last three jobs (Two things you were happy you accomplished in that job and two things you could have done better)
      6. Why are you willing to leave your job?
      7. What do you like about your supervisor (Last three jobs)
      8. Tell me about how you sell?
      9. What are your best and worst characteristics?
      10. Looking back what would you have done differently if you knew the outcome in your past jobs?
      11. Sell me this pen..

They do care about you as a person and how this job will make you better. In your interview emphasize sells, providing urgent care, handling yourself in a professional manner, having fun and enjoying people and you will do fine. Remember to ask questions to make yourself more available to learning more about the company and if this best suits you and your goals.

1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation, but it is Full-time and you get PTO and bonuses. The next promotion up is Property Manager, but that's it as far as climbing up in the company. Although if you go to school and receive a degree I am sure you will have a better chance at working in a different area of the company.

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Employee in Jersey City, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Public Storage (Jersey City, NJ) in June 2014.

Interview

I had send my resume on friday, immediately after I received a phone call to set up a conference call with the Sr.DM and VP. We had a 15min conversation, I thought all went well but WITH IN 2 hours I received an email that they didn't think I was the right person for the job. I did not see that coming to be honest. A few questions they asked me:
    What do you know of the company, what would your formal supervisor tell about you, how would this person rate you on a scale from 1-10. You have to tell what your strength is and also weakness. Prepare a few questions yourself for at the end of the conversation. You need to tell them about your management skills.
    I hope I will have better luck next time. Good luck to all that apply. It looks like a great company to work for.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview

Phone interview with Senior District Manager. Was supposed to be 45 minutes, but ended up being over 90. Got a call back within an hour to fly out the next week for a second interview in-person (scheduled for 3 hours). Was told that the position was for a DM-in-training. Didn't get much information at all about the position or demands during the phone interview, so I asked about work/life balance, percentage of travel, and vacation/time-off accrual (all logical questions that most anyone would want to know before accepting an offer). Really just wanted to compare to my previous career. I got another call saying that there were "concerns about our alignment" and that they were going to pass on moving forward with me. Evidently the organization doesn't care much for what they can provide the employee in exchange for their hard work. It's too bad that they pass on people with proven excellent record of results just because they inquire about work/life balance. Doesn't sound very people-oriented. I was already suspicious based on the employee reviews and the fact that they tout the salary and bonus so much in the job listings. Must be paying for hard servitude.

Interview Questions

• No difficult or unexpected questions. Scripted questions. Identical to the other Glassdoor reviewers. Almost like a personality test and very lengthy.   1 Answer

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in June 2014.

Interview

Very fast process. Phone interview which lasted 45 minutes. Basic questions about your direct reports. Following week had face to face with two Regional Managers at their corporate office. Just got a notice I didn't make the cut. Seems like a great company to work for. Will try again.

Interview Questions

• Face to Face they ask you to give them 3 low points and 3 high points you've had in High School, College, and professional career.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Castro Valley, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Public Storage (Castro Valley, CA).

Interview

One Phone screen and 2 interviews. One ride-along with an exisiting Distirct manager. Process was fast and easy maybe takes 3 weeks to complete. First in person interview took about 2 hours.

Relief Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Interview

Applied online was called the next day. 3 interviews: phone with recruiting manager, in person with district manager & regional manager. It helps if you were referred by a current employee. Currently in the interview stages, phone interview occurred recently

Interview Questions

• Was asked 3 biggest strengths & 3 biggest weaknesses. FYI they don't generally promote within the company but they do seek long term candidates for the relief manager position. Mention you are looking for a long term position. They do check references, conduct background check & drug testing. If you are currently employed and planning to quit be prepared to tell them why... they will ask   Answer Question

DM Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

Long - lots of questions and people to meet

Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Public Storage (Charlotte, NC) in April 2014.

Interview

They ask you about your previous employers (honesty is the best policy). They ask you what you would like from an employer. It is usually a two interview process. They also ask you to tell about different things you've experienced with previous employers that you felt you could have handled better or have learned from.

Interview Questions

• Your strengths and weaknesses and how you can improve.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Did not negotiate I loved the benefits.

Property Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Public Storage (Atlanta, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

Company held a open house at it's headquarters and over 30 applicants applied. Interview conducted the same day for select applicants. A few days later I was offered the position and a meeting with scheduled with the local district manager.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time at work when you failed to make a customer happy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Pay rate is set in stone with no possibility of negotiating. Small pay increase of 50 cents after 6 months. You may become a trainer or safety coordinator for an extra $1/hour. Cannot be promoted to management internally.