Public Storage Interview Questions

Updated Aug 23, 2015

2.6

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

Public Storage likes to think that they have a detailed interview process, however they simply follow the "A" Method interview guide. They complete a phone screen with you and if you pass the phone screen you will meet for an in person interview where they follow "A" Method. Simply look this up prior to your interview and you will be well prepared--there is a book if you really want go overboard. It's a chronological interview and they are looking for three high points and low points--they begin with your time in high school, college, and your job history. If they like you they will send you for a "DM Ride Along" where you will spend a few hours with a local District Manager. The DM will send them a report of what they think and again, if they like you they will pass you on to the Divisional VP, and they will prep you for that interview. IF the Divisional VP approves they will send you to California to interview with the COO. Again...if they like you, but they don't think you will do well with the COO they will spend a few hours prepping you for that interview. Kind of a joke...

Interview Questions

• Honestly there are no difficult questions because they follow the set plan for "A" Method. You can nail it if you are prepared. They are just looking for you to respond and give them three pluses and three negatives. Experience used to be a requirement, but they have really dropped that in favor of a much younger audience. If you are 35 and over you need not apply as you are not what they are looking for at this time. The trend is to hire right out of college with little or no experience.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. The salary and bonus program are fixed and will not be changed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lexington, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Lexington, SC) in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview first, 2nd interview 2 days later with District Manager & Senior DM .. Questions were pretty straight to the point, DM was friendly & personable , After first interview he told me he would call me for the next steps but the senior DM basically gave me the job on spot with contingency of passing a complete background check

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Public Storage (Costa Mesa, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

The interview was very lengthy ( 1 1/2 hrs), so be prepared. Based on the employees I saw, the company presents a very blue collar image. The man who gave me a tour of the facility was very adamant about the job security. Offered by the company. Anyone who wants to work for public storage should be self aware, practical, organized and responsible.

Interview Questions

• what extra curriculum activities where you involved in during high school?   1 Answer

Negotiation

There were no negotiations. The pay will increase by .50¢ after 6 months.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Public Storage (Houston, TX) in November 2014.

Interview

Apply online .Get phone interview if passed get called in face to face. You meet Dm and Regional manager for last two interviews. Background check,Drug,references,call past employers. That's basic it in a nutshell

Interview Questions

• What opportunity did you have on your last job 2 negatives,Then asked 2 positives   Answer Question

Resident Property/Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Public Storage (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

A friend got hired and told me to go and check them out because they were really cool. I decided what the heck. I got to meet the District Manager who was new and we started discussing my background in storage. I had worked for another company so we just compared notes. I remember when I went back to get my drug test form I was in shorts and I apologized for dressing unprofessionally the DM said "he wished he was in shorts too.

Interview Questions

• Everything was expected. I know now they ask you to sell them a pen during the interview,   Answer Question

Negotiation

I had a job I didn't care if they hired me. I told them what I wanted and they gave it to me.

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage (Chicago, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Smooth and well run but a very long day of final interviews. I did well - but I'm good at interviewing and even I became exhausted saying the same thing over and over again. Questions in all interviews were very similar so it became repetitive.

Interview Questions

• Many questions on weaknesses. More than an average interview...   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plymouth Meeting, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Public Storage (Plymouth Meeting, PA) in October 2014.

Interview

I applied to Public Storage and got called for a phone interview. Once i passed the phone screen, i was asked to come down for a face-to-face interview with the DM. The regional manager also happened to be on location and decided to interview me at the same time. (Otherwise i wouldve been given a phone screen by him and an additional face-to-face interview) they were amazing! Laid out their plans for me, told me exactly why they needed me and asked me plenty of personal questions, to learn more about who i am as a person. I was very lucky, i got a job offer right on the spot! Needless to say, i was very happy, i felt like my accomplishments had finally been acknowledged by a company. Im very excited for what lies ahead! Within a week, igot hired and completed my background and DT . today is my first day!!!!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you really felt like you couldve done something better or differently but you didnt.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Great. He explained compensation,benefits, and future opportunities.

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

They asked pretty normal questions about my past job experience, reason for leaving last job, questions on my salary needs, pretty generic interview, questions on what I would bring to the table

Better Job

District Manager Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Public Storage.

Interview

The interview process is a long one. You are contacted first by a recruiter who goes through the basic details with you and then are contacted by a Regional Manager. You have a brief phone interview and then are asked to come in for what will be one of the longest interviews of your life. You sit with a Regional Manager and are asked the following questions: What were your two highs and lows of HIGH SCHOOL? What were your two highs and lows of COLLEGE? On your last 3 jobs you're asked: What were you hired to do? What were your two accomplishments? What were your two opportunities? What would you do differently? What would your boss say about you? What did you think of your boss? What was it like working with them? Can you spell their name? You are then contacted by the Divisional and it's a phone interview if it's not geographically feasible or a face to face if you're close by. Same questions as above. If you pass this portion, they will call you again to go to the Glendale office and sit with senior executive team, Shawn Weidmann. That interview goes over all the same things as above and is really just for him to sign off on hiring you. If Shawn doesn't like you though, you will not get the position. Process takes around 2 weeks and then it's a giant background check with the worst (aka cheapest) company ever.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There is no negotiation. It's $75k plus $16k first year bonus.

Interview

Interviewed by Dan, seems like great guy, questions were in-depth and based on experience. I only made it to the phone interview but I know the in-person interview is three or more hours in length. I decided to pursue other options before the second interview.