Public Storage

2.5

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in March 2014.

I applied online for the position and was contacted fairly quickly. I spoke with the current DM of the area I applied to and a few preliminary questions were asked. Basic background info was covered. At the end of this conversation a second phone interview was set up. This second interview was much more in depth and lasted about half an hour. During this time I learned that the company was hiring people to train into the DM program, but not start as DM's.

Interview Questions
    • What rank were you in you area vs peer DM's? What would it take for you to be #1?   Answer Question

Property Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Public Storage.

Must Apply at www.publistoragejobs.com
    Recruiter must contact you to schedule interview.
    2-3 Interviews at Field Level
    Drug Testing
    Job Offer
    Background Testing
    Training Will Start After Results Come Back Positively

Interview Questions
    Negotiating is not an option at field level.

District Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage.

Phone screen, Regional Manager interview, District Manager ride along, Divisional Manager interview, COO interview at Corp Office.

Your references carry a lot of weight and will be checked. Your entire resume will be reviewed. PS does not promote Property Managers to DM, we are all outside hires. The goal is to identify individuals that demonstrate similar work experience and a track record of proven performance. We are looking for people that can succeed at the level they are interviewing all the way up to a Regional or Divisional position.

Interview Questions
    • Every question will require a thought out response. Canned answers fall short. You'll need to be comfortable with open dialog about your opportunities.   Answer Question
    There is no negotiating. Starting wage is advertised in job announcement. Expenses are reimbursed and typically include milage, tolls, and phone.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in February 2014.

The interview process is a 30 minute phone interview with the Regional V.P. Once the phone interview is complete, there will be a 2 hour interview with two individuals, usually the regional V.P.'s in your area. You will then be asked to do a half day "ride along" with a local DM to see what they do in their typical day. If you make it to this point, you will have a 1 hour interview with the Divisional V.P. who is over the Regional V.P.'s. At this point, you will be asked to fly to Glendale, California for a 1 hour interview with the C.O.O. Shawn Weidman. Public Storage is very unprofessional in the way they do business. I was called and set up a time for a phone interview on a Thursday evening at 7pm. I planned my family's time around this call, but the call never came. A wee later, I got a call from the Regional V.P. Dan Fabricant stating that he was sorry but Outlook must have deleted the appointment. I continued through the process against my better judgment. At the end of the process, I was asked to fly to California to meet with the C.O.O. during spring break on 1 days notice. I made it happen and flew into Los Angeles, arriving at 8:30pm on Wednesday night. After a 45 minute cab ride, I made it to the hotel that was arranged for me. I got into bed at around 11pm (1am Dallas time), with a 8am interview scheduled on Thursday morning. After getting up at 6am on Thursday morning, I called a cab. Made it to Public Storage offices which was only 10 minutes from the hotel at 7:15am. l sat in the lobby of Public Storage until 8:30am for a 8am interview. After meeting Mr. Weidmann in person, I see the issue with Public Storage. He is a very self-absorbed person. I made it from Dallas, TX to California on a days notice, and was 45 minutes early for the interview. Mr. Weidmann, living local I would guess, can't make it there for a scheduled interview. Poor leadership at best!

Interview Questions
    • What was your biggest challenge? They will ask this question about high school, college, and every job you have ever had. They will also ask your high points of each, but it seems that it's often more difficult to come up with the challenges.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Oklahoma City, OK

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Public Storage in January 2014.

This was the most unprofessional disorganized interview I have ever been part of. The person called 30 minutes prior to the interview needing to reschedule for later in the day. When she rang later in the day she seemed hurried, obviously had not read my resume prior to the call, and worst of all was clearly reading from a script and could not change based on my previous answers. It is as if she felt the only way to interview was to do it from a canned script and had no idea what to do with the answers.

Interview Questions
    • At the end of the interview she indicated that if I had questions for her now was the time to ask. I asked her: "Based on my resume, and my skills and abilities, how do you think a person like me would do at this position." Her response was: "Well, I do not know much about your background, so I cannot answer that." This was after the supposed interview and after she supposedly read my resume. I am very disappointed that a company such as this has such low standards for the training of their interviewers. I also asked her of her background prior to coming to into the storage game, she indicated that it was with a Blockbuster Video store, I tried to draw comparisons from her previous job to the one she has now to see if she could see where my background could come in helpful...she was unable to do so. For the record, I have extensive multiunit management of hotels and work with REIT's, something I thought would be very transferable. I guess not, got the form letter today that they were not interested.   Answer Question

District Manager Public Storage Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Public Storage in December 2013.

Recruiter called me the next day. Asked me about 6 questions, 5 of which was why I was no longer working at my last job, only one question was about the job itself.

Interview Questions
    • Asked me one question: What do you consider yourself to be really good at?"   View Answer

Relief Manager Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Public Storage.

apply online, there will be a phone interview, followed by a face to face with a District manager. interview depends on wordiness of DM, but should last about an hour

Interview Questions
    hourly rate is across the board.

District Manager Interview

Initial phone interview was about 1 hour and very detailed questions were asked around P+L and management style. In person interview was very long over 2.5 hours and on location. Asked about all direct reports from the last 3 years and breakdowns of strengths and weaknesses. I was given some opportunity to ask probing questions at the end of the interview.

Interview Questions

Decided I was more comfortable with were I was currently.

Public Storage Retail Associate Position Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Public Storage.

I applied around midnight online and received a call the next day from HR. They did a little interview over the phone. Mainly to talk about previous work and resume. I then got called from a manager about an hour later. Scheduled an interview for the following day. Interview lasted for about 10 minutes. Later on in the day I received a phone call from the manager to schedule a second interview with the district manager. It was scheduled for the following day. That interview lasted about 7 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Just basic questions. Tell me about yourself. Why public storage.   Answer Question

Property Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Public Storage.

very easy interview. One phone with HR rep,one face to face with DM,and a super quick one with RM (same day) typical questions.

Interview Questions
    • very straight forward interview. Felt like I had the job before it even started   Answer Question