Publix

1.8

14 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, AL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Decatur, AL

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

I applied for Publix at the kiosk in the store and two weeks later they called me for an interview. The managers were very friendly and the interview was among the easiest I had ever been to. This being my first job they were very clear about the whole process and how everything works, just being very informative. I already had a job lined up at Kroger for the same position but since Publix is much closer to my home I wanted a job there instead. The manager asked me how much Kroger was going to pay me and I told her minimum wage, she offered me $8/hr as a bagger at Publix. I accepted.

However, it took Publix two weeks to set up everything so I could begin my pre-orientation and go to the actual orientation so I could begin working. I was drug tested at the interview (which was on a Wednesday) and was told that if they didn't call me within the next week for me to call them. They never called me back, so I called them exactly a week after my interview and the manager told me to come in the same day and sign my papers for the background check. After signing the papers the manager told me that I would receive a call the next day to begin my pre-orientation. I never got a call the next day so I called them and a different manager told me that it would take several days before I could begin the pre-orientation. I waited almost another week and called them on a Tuesday and was told that I could come in the following Friday to begin my pre-orientation (which is tomorrow).

To summarize, the interviews are a breeze as long as you use your manners and are friendly, but if you really want the job you better call them and don't sit around waiting on them to call you. If you wait on them you'll probably never start working. I suspect that since the holidays are approaching that they were probably hiring a lot of new people, so they were most likely a little behind.

Interview Questions
  • What do you do in your spare time?
    Why should I hire you over the other applicants?

Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Publix

Bagger Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Publix.

She was very nice and easy going, made jokes it was really relaxed. Basically we talked about skills important to the job. We went to the back room and she asked me questions like how quickly I could work, and if I could work nights.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Publix.

I applied on the computer in the store but they never called me for an interview. So I passed by every week to speak to the manager until he finally succumbed to my persistence and interviewed me. I was a college student at the time so I already knew the basics of interviews.

Interview Questions
    • The interview was not difficult at all. It was more like a conversation and getting to know each other.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at Publix in June 2014.

applied online and got a call in a week for a interview.Very brief short and to the point,relaxing and great interviewer.They call back for a second interview in days if they like you.

Interview Questions

found a job doing construction

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooksville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooksville, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix in August 2013.

I applied in store and about a week later they called and scheduled an interview and it was basic interview questions they told me to wait til friday for them to call then they called friday.

Interview Questions
    • what do you wash first in your bathroom?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Woodstock, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 7+ monthsinterviewed at Publix in January 2013.

I started applying at Publix in July of 2012, continued to update my application every month, and I finally got a call for an interview in January 2013. We set up the interview for 2 days later, on a Friday. I was interviewed by the Assistant Store Manager and the Deli Manager, which is funny because I didn't realize that I had even applied for the deli department. They were both very kind and the Asst Store Manager knew that this was my first interview ever, so he kept trying to put me at ease. He honestly didn't let me talk much, just asked about a few things on my application and asked me what my long term goals were. Then the Deli Manager explained what the job would be like. I think they realized that the deli wasn't the right place for me, because I was so surprised to hear that they were interviewing me for that department and because I maybe didn't look so enthusiastic when they explained that I would have to lift 60 pound chicken crates pretty often and I couldn't be afraid to get dirty. (I didn't tell them that I'm a vegetarian...) But the Asst Store Manager seemed to like me, and told me that I did a great job. So, he called me again on Monday and asked me if I could come in an hour later and offered me a job as a bagger. I accepted, took a drug test, and should get the results back in a few days.

Interview Questions
    • The most unexpected thing was that they were interviewing me for the deli department, which I don't remember applying for.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. $7.75 an hour.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sarasota, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Publix in September 2012.

I was interviewed by the manager. He was a very nice guy and gave me the job right away. I was 16 at the time. I was kinda scared to go to work for the first time but he was funny and I loved working there. I would recommend everyone to apply for a job here, since you are very likely to get accepted.

Interview Questions
    • What are you hoping to accomplish while working here?   View Answer
    Just take it! I didn't need to negotiate.

Bagger Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Publix in October 2010.

Interview was smooth and the assistant manager did a fine job in being clear and communicative with me during the whole process. She went over a bit of history of Publix, drug tests are mandatory and once that was screened and came back clean I was able to continue through the hiring process. Most questions were about me, what I believe is right from wrong, and work ethics.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pembroke Pines, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix in June 2010.

Sloppy interview. Literally the easiest thing you could do. Answered some questions and that's it. Now I work with a bunch of people who just stand around doing nothing, but of course those are the managers' favorites, and then they complain to those actually doing work.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, just a yes or no.

Bagger Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Publix in April 2010.

So I went in and used the computer they had given me, it took me 2 hours of standing there filing out information and answering all the questions they had asked me. A lot of what if questions about customer service. Basically try to be the nicest person you can be. I had to put in my password and email again in order to reapply as it was past 3 months. I actually forgot my password and they were kind enough to give me a password to type in. When i got the interview, It only took about 10 minutes it felt like to me. Not many questions was left open to ask after taking their application questionnaire.

Interview Questions
    • During the interview the store manager said, this job is very repetitive, are you ok with that?   View Answer