Publix

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Bakery Clerk Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – Filled out application online and was called for an interview after about 2 months.

Interview Question – Why Publix?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I was told what the hourly rate was and was asked if I'd like to think about it.

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in April 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty straight forward. I went to one store to apply, a nice cashier gave me some words of encouragement, I recieved a call that very day to come in for an interview. I was offered a job right then and there.

Interview Question – Nothing too hard, they basically really really needed people   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Orlando, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Publix in October 2013.

Interview Details – Pretty easy interview. Its an one a one interview with the manager. He asked me if I would be interest to work at the bakery or deli. The questions were: Tell me about your self,
why publix?
tell me how is college going,
 tell me a person who inspired you,
what is success for you,
why should I hire you and not another candidate,
what are your strengths and weaknesses

Interview Question – no difficult questions   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person - interviewed at Publix in October 2012.

Interview Details – Manager told me to come in he would just hire me no interview necessary. The girl filled out my paper work then told me I would get 9 hr and more on my first review the manager would bump it up. 2 weeks later no call, I called back and the girl forgot to put my information in the computer, two weeks later then they hired me. And gave my job to someone else.

Negotiation Details – none, manager was on the phone and said he would increase my pay soon. But it never happened.

Nashville, TN

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix in September 2012.

Interview Details – I applied using the in-store kiosk and once finished, spoke to a manager at Customer Service. He said he would inform the bakery of my application. I received a call the following day asking me to come in for an interview the next day with the store manager. I met with the SM, had an easy interview, mainly consisting of Publix info and history, and was asked a couple of easy questions (tell me about yourself; why did I want to work there/in that position). The SM scheduled me to come back the next day to meet with the Bakery Manager, which was also a breeze (I was asked, "Why Publix?"). At this time, I was given the drug test and sent on my way. It took a week to get the drug test back, at which time I was asked to come back in to fill out paperwork. Orientation is next, and then I will start in the bakery! Everyone I have encountered, from the Customer Service manager to the Store Manager to the Bakery Manager to other employees, has been so enthusiastic and passionate about their jobs and working for Publix...I'm very excited!

Interview Question – Why Publix? Tell me about yourself.   Answer Question

Weston, FL

The process took 4 days - interviewed at Publix in March 2012.

Interview Details – I went to Publix and filled out the application in store. After changing my availability a few times, I was called in for an interview about four months after filling out the initial application. I had an interview with the store manager, very basic questions were asked, such as if I was attending school, what would my available days to work be, how do I see my personality benefiting the department I wish to work in, etc. I was hired on the spot after about 15 minutes of talking. Afterwards, I was given a drug test and background check, which came back about 3 days later. Then the next step was to fill out paper work and get registered for orientation.

Interview Question – How would you interact with customers?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – You are given the option to negotiate, but I didn't. This was my first job as a college student, so I didn't want to risk starting off on the wrong foot. If you're full time and have a family to support, then I would suggest to negotiate.

Huntsville, AL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in February 2012.

Interview Details – The woman who was originally supposed to interview forgot and left for the day after my 30 minute drive. I had to be interviewed by a manager from another department who knew nothing about the job I was being interviewed for, so none of my questions could be answered. He was even talking about sending me home and having me return another day. I told him I would much rather get everything I could done that day because of the drive. I then had to talk with the store manager for a sort of mini interview. I accepted the position because I really needed the job. There was a two day orientation class. The first day was a 6 and a half hour class talking about the history of Publix and customer service. The second day was about safety and it lasted about 5 and a half hours. It was very informative and the instructor was wonderful. It was just boring, as many orientation sessions tend to be. I was not very happy with the interview process, but I am very excited about my new job.

Interview Question – In what ways do you provide excellent customer service?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was not much room for negotiation on an hourly rate. They were already offering a dollar more than a chart on the wall said that they normally offer a part-time bakery clerk. I have a day during the week that I cannot work due to school, and they were very willing to work around that.

Bakery Clerk

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in November 2010.

Interview Details – came to the store and had a one on one with the store manager

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – Wasnt much of one.... just took what i could get

Interviews for Top Jobs at Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix Bakery Clerk interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees and interview candidates.