Publix

Getting the Interview

27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Cashier Interview

I applied online and interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – Just had one interview, It was a simple interview since it was for a lower level position. The manager greeted me and took me to his office. He asked me some standard questions to basically get to know me and see what type of person I was. Publix wants good-hearted, friendly people.

Interview Question – Not really hard or unexpected just asked" What all can you do for he company?"   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix in February 2014.

Interview Details – Interview was more of a conversation about Publix and my most recent experience. Just talked about expectations and what he was looking for in an employee. Talked about my future goals with the company and other departments I would be interested in at a later time.

Interview Question – None. Very simple and quick   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Store manager made an offer and I accepted.

Pompano Beach, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – There was interview in person. Also you go there a few training process in there warehouse and in the store you will work in.

Interview Question – there will is not unexpected questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I would yes.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – I applied in-store and called a few times to make sure they knew I was really interested in interviewing. They finally scheduled one with me in the store, it was a solo interview. Usually the store manager takes part in the interviews but he was out of town so i was interviewed by the Assistant Store Manager and the Customer Service Manager. They were very nice, emphasized that Publix was a family. I got a good feeling from them, and it made me want the job more. Sometimes I hear they hire you on the spot, but for me it was a day or so before I received the call that they'd like to offer me a position.

Interview Question – They asked run-of-the-mill questions: what are your strengths, weaknesses, have you ever had to deal with an unhappy customer, what did you do, etc.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Once i got the interview, the interview was so laid back and easy. just be polite, talk about how you'd like more responsibility, show you would be good to work with customers.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Gainesville, FL

I interviewed at Publix in April 2011.

Interview Details – You have to apply in the store. It takes at least 30 minutes, sometimes more. They should call you within 30 days of your application. If they do not call you within 30 days, then you can apply again. What was interesting about my situation is that they called me after 40 days, but I have never heard that happening with anyone else.

Interview Question – It was a basic interview. He also asked me to sell him his Gatorade bottle sitting on his desk. I found that to be a little interesting since cashiering does not require a lot of sales.   Answer Question

Weston, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Publix in July 2012.

Interview Details – I applied in the store and was called about 3 days later for an interview. Met with the assistant store manager and spoke to him. It was a pretty easy interview, in the end we ended up just talking about my previous jobs, which just felt like a comfortable conversation. A good thing to do is listen and smile a lot.

Interview Question – Not really any difficult question, I answered all questions based on experience which made it pretty simple.   Answer Question

Ocoee, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Publix in August 2013.

Interview Details – My grandma is a regular at the store so she talked to the manager for me and I applied. I called like every 2 days or so to check my application status. I called on a Wednesday and one of the managers told me to come in on that Friday for an interview. I was super excited because I was sure I had the job. They asked me questions about me, what good customer service was and stuff. After the interview, I thanked her and I was told I would get a call that Monday if I got the call. I never got the call. So on monday I called to confirm I didn't get it and she said yeah sorry and told me they would be hiring again in 3 months.

Interview Question – What is your definition of customer service?   Answer Question

Tampa, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Publix in February 2009.

Interview Details – I applied at the in store kiosk and received a response within a week. Make sure you arrive at least 10 minutes early and dress nicely. Image is important especially when they hire cashiers. The interview was simple and laid back. They usually already know they're going to hire you when you go in for the interview, but if you don't dress the part or fail the interview process they won't bother with you.
The manager will ask you why do you want to work at Publix? How do you handle particular situations. They will confirm what days/hours you're available for. Then the rest of the interview will be casual to try and gauge your personality. He asked about what is my most proud accomplishment, what I plan on doing with my major and where I'd like to go to college. After bantering he told me my hourly pay and asked if I'd be willing to take a drug test. Once they ask about the drug test you are hired if they don't ask you that it's safe to assume you will not be working with them.
When interviewing you have to give answers they want to hear so don't try to be aggressive during the interview process. I've heard about interviews where kids have been too honest or nonchalant. For example when they ask what would you do if a customer doesn't want help don't respond and say that you wouldn't bother with them because they said they don't want help. You respond by showing how you'd implement your customer service skills to let the customer know that you're available and if they do have any questions you can help and just be courteous. As long as you focus on customer service and wanting to be apart of the Publix team you will get the job. It's an easy interview.

Working with Publix can be fun, it's important to get to know your co-workers and be on everyone's good side. It's a tight-knit family and the benefits and flexibility are superb. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion to managers once hired because they like assertiveness. So if you feel overworked and not appreciated tell them, but be careful how you tell them. Opening the doors to those conversations are key to being able to move up and assure your raises.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer did not want help?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They pay you based on previous experience, or image and/or educational level. No joke, and I know this because associates started discussing their pay one day. I started above minimum wage. More often than not you're supposed to start at minimum wage if you start as a cashier or bagger. So I highly recommend looking your best at your interview.

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – It's very hard to get into Publix. It is recommended that after you submit your application you introduce yourself to the manager and come back to speak to them from time to time to let them know that you are still interested in a job. I only had one interview where I also offered the job contingent upon my drug test.

Interview Question – I don't remember. I applied over 5 years ago. Sorry   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Interviews for Top Jobs at Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix Cashier interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees and interview candidates.