Publix Cashier Interview Questions

Updated Oct 13, 2014

1.7

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Cashier Interview

Asked standard interview questions, ensured employee was team player.

Interview Questions
  • What has been a past mistake of yours on the job and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Publix

Cashier Interview

Once i got the interview, the interview was so laid back and easy. just be polite, talk about how you'd like more responsibility, show you would be good to work with customers.

no negotiation

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Publix.

Interviewed with the store manager. Tell me about yourself type interview. We had a conversation about my experience, and why I wanted to work there. Offered me a job right away and did a drug test

Cashier Interview

For me, I was called one night and asked to come in to meet with the store manager for an interview. The day of the interview I was actually offered the position and I took it on spot. The interview was quick, short, and to the point but I hear that it is different with every store.

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Publix in October 2011.

When I was called for the interview they didn't even specify who was calling and from where they were calling aka Publix. Scheduled my interview, I came in and interviewed I was asked to tell about myself and really that is it. They ask about your availability. They ask about your school schedule if you are in school. They ask about any previous experience. It was not complicated at all.

Interview Questions
    • I know someone who was asked to sell my manager a stapler before.   Answer Question
    No negotiation. You start from the bottom, no matter what.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Altamonte Springs, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Publix.

Went into the store and applied at the kiosk. A manager had seen me applying and came over to me, he then asked if I could interview right then. He took me to an office and we chatted. I was only 16 at the time so I wasn't sure how the process was supposed to go. He was a very laid back chill guy and I felt very comfortable the entire time. He is still, 9 years later, my favorite manager. After talking for a bit he asked me when I could come back with a parent for a drug test, I went back that night and was told I had the job. Started work the next week.

Interview Questions
    • There weren't any difficult questions, the only one that sticks out in my mind that he asked me was "Why do you want to work for Publix?"   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I was 16 and got minimum wage like every other teenager.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Springs, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sandy Springs, GA

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Publix.

General questions about background, nothing too difficult. They were just trying to get a feel for what type of person you were. Show up and be professional and this will be a formality.

No negotiation. Told me a number and that it was as high as they were allowed to offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

interviewed at Publix in April 2011.

You have to apply in the store. It takes at least 30 minutes, sometimes more. They should call you within 30 days of your application. If they do not call you within 30 days, then you can apply again. What was interesting about my situation is that they called me after 40 days, but I have never heard that happening with anyone else.

Interview Questions
    • It was a basic interview. He also asked me to sell him his Gatorade bottle sitting on his desk. I found that to be a little interesting since cashiering does not require a lot of sales.   Answer Question

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Publix.

It's very hard to get into Publix. It is recommended that after you submit your application you introduce yourself to the manager and come back to speak to them from time to time to let them know that you are still interested in a job. I only had one interview where I also offered the job contingent upon my drug test.

No negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

I applied online – interviewed at Publix in February 2009.

I applied at the in store kiosk and received a response within a week. Make sure you arrive at least 10 minutes early and dress nicely. Image is important especially when they hire cashiers. The interview was simple and laid back. They usually already know they're going to hire you when you go in for the interview, but if you don't dress the part or fail the interview process they won't bother with you.
    The manager will ask you why do you want to work at Publix? How do you handle particular situations. They will confirm what days/hours you're available for. Then the rest of the interview will be casual to try and gauge your personality. He asked about what is my most proud accomplishment, what I plan on doing with my major and where I'd like to go to college. After bantering he told me my hourly pay and asked if I'd be willing to take a drug test. Once they ask about the drug test you are hired if they don't ask you that it's safe to assume you will not be working with them.
    When interviewing you have to give answers they want to hear so don't try to be aggressive during the interview process. I've heard about interviews where kids have been too honest or nonchalant. For example when they ask what would you do if a customer doesn't want help don't respond and say that you wouldn't bother with them because they said they don't want help. You respond by showing how you'd implement your customer service skills to let the customer know that you're available and if they do have any questions you can help and just be courteous. As long as you focus on customer service and wanting to be apart of the Publix team you will get the job. It's an easy interview.

Working with Publix can be fun, it's important to get to know your co-workers and be on everyone's good side. It's a tight-knit family and the benefits and flexibility are superb. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion to managers once hired because they like assertiveness. So if you feel overworked and not appreciated tell them, but be careful how you tell them. Opening the doors to those conversations are key to being able to move up and assure your raises.

Interview Questions
    • What would you do if a customer did not want help?   View Answer
    There was no negotiation. They pay you based on previous experience, or image and/or educational level. No joke, and I know this because associates started discussing their pay one day. I started above minimum wage. More often than not you're supposed to start at minimum wage if you start as a cashier or bagger. So I highly recommend looking your best at your interview.