Publix

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Average Difficulty
33 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Asked standard interview questions, ensured employee was team player.

Interview Question – What has been a past mistake of yours on the job and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Once i got the interview, the interview was so laid back and easy. just be polite, talk about how you'd like more responsibility, show you would be good to work with customers.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 5 days - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – Interviewed with the store manager. Tell me about yourself type interview. We had a conversation about my experience, and why I wanted to work there. Offered me a job right away and did a drug test

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – For me, I was called one night and asked to come in to meet with the store manager for an interview. The day of the interview I was actually offered the position and I took it on spot. The interview was quick, short, and to the point but I hear that it is different with every store.

Interview Question – What are your flaws   Answer Question

Altamonte Springs, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – Went into the store and applied at the kiosk. A manager had seen me applying and came over to me, he then asked if I could interview right then. He took me to an office and we chatted. I was only 16 at the time so I wasn't sure how the process was supposed to go. He was a very laid back chill guy and I felt very comfortable the entire time. He is still, 9 years later, my favorite manager. After talking for a bit he asked me when I could come back with a parent for a drug test, I went back that night and was told I had the job. Started work the next week.

Interview Question – There weren't any difficult questions, the only one that sticks out in my mind that he asked me was "Why do you want to work for Publix?"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, I was 16 and got minimum wage like every other teenager.

Sandy Springs, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – General questions about background, nothing too difficult. They were just trying to get a feel for what type of person you were. Show up and be professional and this will be a formality.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Told me a number and that it was as high as they were allowed to offer.

Gainesville, FL

I interviewed at Publix in April 2011.

Interview Details – You have to apply in the store. It takes at least 30 minutes, sometimes more. They should call you within 30 days of your application. If they do not call you within 30 days, then you can apply again. What was interesting about my situation is that they called me after 40 days, but I have never heard that happening with anyone else.

Interview Question – It was a basic interview. He also asked me to sell him his Gatorade bottle sitting on his desk. I found that to be a little interesting since cashiering does not require a lot of sales.   Answer Question

Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – It's very hard to get into Publix. It is recommended that after you submit your application you introduce yourself to the manager and come back to speak to them from time to time to let them know that you are still interested in a job. I only had one interview where I also offered the job contingent upon my drug test.

Interview Question – I don't remember. I applied over 5 years ago. Sorry   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Tampa, FL

I applied online - interviewed at Publix in February 2009.

Interview Details – I applied at the in store kiosk and received a response within a week. Make sure you arrive at least 10 minutes early and dress nicely. Image is important especially when they hire cashiers. The interview was simple and laid back. They usually already know they're going to hire you when you go in for the interview, but if you don't dress the part or fail the interview process they won't bother with you.
The manager will ask you why do you want to work at Publix? How do you handle particular situations. They will confirm what days/hours you're available for. Then the rest of the interview will be casual to try and gauge your personality. He asked about what is my most proud accomplishment, what I plan on doing with my major and where I'd like to go to college. After bantering he told me my hourly pay and asked if I'd be willing to take a drug test. Once they ask about the drug test you are hired if they don't ask you that it's safe to assume you will not be working with them.
When interviewing you have to give answers they want to hear so don't try to be aggressive during the interview process. I've heard about interviews where kids have been too honest or nonchalant. For example when they ask what would you do if a customer doesn't want help don't respond and say that you wouldn't bother with them because they said they don't want help. You respond by showing how you'd implement your customer service skills to let the customer know that you're available and if they do have any questions you can help and just be courteous. As long as you focus on customer service and wanting to be apart of the Publix team you will get the job. It's an easy interview.

Working with Publix can be fun, it's important to get to know your co-workers and be on everyone's good side. It's a tight-knit family and the benefits and flexibility are superb. Don't be afraid to voice your opinion to managers once hired because they like assertiveness. So if you feel overworked and not appreciated tell them, but be careful how you tell them. Opening the doors to those conversations are key to being able to move up and assure your raises.

Interview Question – What would you do if a customer did not want help?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation. They pay you based on previous experience, or image and/or educational level. No joke, and I know this because associates started discussing their pay one day. I started above minimum wage. More often than not you're supposed to start at minimum wage if you start as a cashier or bagger. So I highly recommend looking your best at your interview.

Cashier

The process took a day - interviewed at Publix in February 2008.

Interview Details – One in-house interview. Standard interview questions. Nothing difficult or complicated.

Interview Question – Why do you want this job?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Offer based on experience only, no negotiation.

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!