Publix

Getting the Interview

13 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Palm Beach, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Publix in March 2014.

Interview Details – For the location I worked for the store manager hires all employees for every department. I was warned that the customer base was demanding and that the employee base was diverse.

Interview Question – Do you think you really want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – The application has to be filled out in the store, once that is done, expect to get a phone call within the next two weeks. Associates normally have to complete to in person interviews.

Interview Question – "What are your weaknesses" - This was my first time being asked this in an interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wasn't really able to negotiate. I didn't have much kitchen experience so they gave me the starting salary. Kitchen experience, customer service certifications, etc. are very good and will give you leverage in negotiating your hourly rate

Interview Details – Initial communication email, two interviews

Interview Question – Tell me about your people experience.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Deli Clerk

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Publix in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was called and scheduled for an interview the same day. I was asked pretty basic questions. Try to have all your work credentials available. Once they make a decision they move pretty fast.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Applied instore and revived a phone call a week later. Interview was done at a local store with the Store manager.

Interview Question – How would you resolve a conflict with another team memeber   Answer Question

Merritt Island, FL

The process took 6 days - interviewed at Publix in October 2012.

Interview Details – You have to apply in store, it's a basic application. Got a call for an interview with the Store Manager within a week of applying. It wasn't at the store I applied at, but one a few miles away. The interview was in his office. He asked about my experience, what I enjoy to do when I work, my schedule, and my description of good customer service. He called my references as well and then asked if I was open to working in the Deli instead of where I originally applied as a bagger, which was great and a big difference in pay!

Interview Question – If a customer walked up to your line (cutting in front of other people) and was unhapppy and demanded to talk to you, how would you handle the situation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me the deli clerk postition for 9 dollars an hour, but I said I have more experience and they gave me 9.25 starting

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – It was easy for me to get into Publix because I already had a sister who worked there, and managers are more likely to call you if you're recommended by a current associate. The interview process was very simple - probably no more than 20 minutes. They told me about the job specifics, asked me why I was leaving my current job, etc.

Interview Question – The manager gave me a list of skills and asked me which one i thought was the most important. I chose "Customer Service skills" (which was the right answer) because Publix values customer service over everything.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Auburn, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix in June 2011.

Interview Details – The process for the interview at Publix was very straight forward and was only difficult if putting the drug testing strip in you mouth is hard to do. I was given some very basic questions to answer regarding my resume and I was done. Very painless process.

Interview Question – I think maybe the how much would you like to make question is the difficult one because it is hard to try and not sound greedy as it is just a grocery store.   Answer Question

Tallahassee, FL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Publix in November 2011.

Interview Details – The Store Manager at the time I was interviewed was very accommodating. I didn't have any deli experience, but he offered me the job on the spot and I started in less than two weeks.

Interview Question – How would you handle a difficult customer?   Answer Question

Surfside, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in September 2011.

Interview Details – Pretty straightforward interview. Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Which department would you like to work in? Describe yourself... pretty straightforward. Got a drug test and a criminal background check afterwards.

Interview Question – Where do you see yourself in five years?   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix Deli Clerk interview questions and advice. All 13 interview reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees and interview candidates.