Publix Deli Clerk Interview Questions

Updated Jul 20, 2015

1.9

Anonymous Employee in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Publix (Tampa, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

Overall it was a very relaxed process, I was interview by the Deli Manager and the Store Manager in the Store Manager's office upstairs. Both women were very professional without being uptight and were very mellow and laid back. They didn't ask me any off the wall questions but seemed more interested in who I was as a person and why I was interested in working for Publix. I was however applying for a specific position in the Deli, so they did ask me if I can handle stress and multi-tasking to which I answered "yes". They had me elaborate further on this, asking me what kinds of things I did in my previous job. If you don't have a lot of experience in customer service don't worry about it, neither do I. I was a personal assistant and a nanny and they still hired me on the spot. They are really looking for very upbeat people who can handle stress and can speak well. You know answering questions without long drawn out silence (pausing to reflect is alright) not saying "um" or "like" a lot and generally just being positive about the entire thing. The interview was about ten minutes and I was asked if I had any questions, don't hesitate to ask! They like it when you ask questions! A little tip that has worked for me: If you are really nervous just remember you are interviewing them as well, you are deciding if the company is right for you and so on. Good luck and stay positive!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself. What do you like to do in your free time? Can you handle stress and multi-tasking? I wasn't asked any "talk about a time when..." questions and they didn't ask me any off the wall questions.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Publix

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

one interview, asked a few questions, background check. Did not ask many questions, it felt like they already knew that they were going to hire me. I only think that because my dad works higher in the company.

Interview Questions

• There really wasn't any difficult or unexpected questions   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

Took about a month got an interview contacted screening then job. The process was not that stressful although you have to wait for the drug screenig. Afterwards you have to attend orientation at a particular location. Learning about ths company and offers are quite interesting really care about associates.

Interview Questions

• How can you potentially up sell products in this environment.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They pay well no negotiation necessary.

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

2 interviews, if you get called back for a second interview you pretty much have the job. Applied at a kiosk, it helps to know people that work there, they ask you a few very normal interview questions and in some cases they might ask you to sell something to them. For example they'll tell you to sell a stapler to them because they want to make sure you are competitive and aggressive at sales

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I suggest negotiating with the highest amount you were paid at your last place of work, they will start you off with more if you have experience at another deli

Anonymous Employee in Dothan, AL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Publix (Dothan, AL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was extremely professional. I waited on a bench outside of the office for about 10 minutes while they interviewed another person, and then I spoke with the store manager first, who asked me basic questions about why I wanted the job and how well I dealt with people. I then spoke with the Deli manager, who also asked many of the same questions. Both managers spoke with one another for almost 15 minutes while I waited on a bench, which made it very suspenseful--more so than it had been watching their poker faces during the interview-- and then I spoke with both of them at the same time. They were very hard to read and presented their concerns about my answers as well as what they liked and gave me a chance to explain/redeem myself when they didn't understand or misinterpreted any statements. I spent a lot of time feeling like I was going to have to grovel at their feet for the position due to a lack of clear wording. They picked apart everything I said. At the end, after stressing enough to take 10 years off of my life, the store manager looked at me and told me that he had decided to offer me a position, and asked if I would like to take him up on that offer. I was almost thoroughly flustered at that, simply because I'd just spent 2+ hours trying not to beg for this job. It seemed to me that it was obvious I wanted the job, and it was their choice to hire me. However, I appreciate that they followed through right to the end with professionalism instead of assuming I wanted the job. A few days later I was called for a second interview and they did a mouth swab drug test on the spot and took care of some basic paperwork. About a week later I got a call letting me know that everything came back and that they needed me to come in to take care of more paperwork and discuss orientation times and dates. They care more about how well you work with people, and how friendly and courteous you can be to the customers. If you talk about how great your work ethics are (completing tasks on time and properly) and how punctual you can be, you'll wind up feeling pretty bad when they tell you that customer service is their number one priority and they don't really want to hear about the other. They certainly care about those aspects, however when being interviewed for a customer service position such as a bagger or cashier, focus on your people skills.

Interview Questions

• There was not a specific question that struck me as being more difficult than the rest.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Panama City, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Publix (Panama City, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Hiring process was extremely quick. Drug testing on the spot. It was a pretty standard interview. Once hired, you are immersed into understanding the pride in being a Publix employee. Thank you Mr. George for starting this company.

Interview Questions

• What do you want to accomplish at Publix.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a higher starting salary, due to my extensive food service background.

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Publix in May 2014.

Interview

1st interview was a simple one. Was asked, Why do u want to work here? What made you switch from an office job. Was pretty easy. No unexpected questions. 2nd was an interview with the Manager. Spoke with him for about an hour. Again, pretty easy. Then was called for pre orientation. Which was basically paper work and a drug test. And then was Orientation. Which was a day of training about history etc. Number of videos. And they also provided lunch.

Negotiation

No negotiation!!!

Anonymous Employee in Palm Beach, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Publix (Palm Beach, FL) in March 2014.

Interview

For the location I worked for the store manager hires all employees for every department. I was warned that the customer base was demanding and that the employee base was diverse.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Employee in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Publix (Gainesville, FL) in March 2014.

Interview

Did the interview with the assistant manager of the store, did it in an office seemingly shared by him and the main manager. It wasn't an uncomfortable atmosphere by any means and he was pleasant but professional.

Anonymous Employee in Lake Worth, FL

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Publix (Lake Worth, FL) in March 2014.

Interview

Talk to an assistant store manager was sent to the store managers office I had already filled the application on the kiosk out spoke to the store manager for approximately a half an hour was a good interview was hired on the spot. Kelly was poorly understaffed