Publix

Average Difficulty
16 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Deli Clerk

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix in May 2014.

Interview Details – 1st interview was a simple one. Was asked, Why do u want to work here? What made you switch from an office job. Was pretty easy. No unexpected questions. 2nd was an interview with the Manager. Spoke with him for about an hour. Again, pretty easy. Then was called for pre orientation. Which was basically paper work and a drug test. And then was Orientation. Which was a day of training about history etc. Number of videos. And they also provided lunch.

Negotiation Details – No negotiation!!!

Pensacola, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix in August 2012.

Interview Details – They offered me an interview via phone. I was sitting down for my interview two days following. They did an oral drug test on the spot. A week later after I passed my drug test and background check, I attended a two day long paid training course with meals included.

They asked me about my previous work experience, what I did and did not like about my current job, and why I applied.

Interview Question – Very simple cut and dry interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no need for me to negotiate pay. Nearly two dollars above minimum wage sounded great to me and was far more than what I was currently being paid. I took the bait and ran.

Canton, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix in July 2010.

Interview Details – You take a drug swab right there in store, then wait a week to get setup for orientation. Interview process is very informal with the store manager and department manager. Orientation is fun, but isn't what the company is really about. (Only the history of the company.) They will issue you shirts and aprons, but it's up to you to find pants and shoes. Some of the things not covered well enough are the 401k plan, medical benefits.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Publix?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Very simple. They tell you what they're paying you and you accept.

Palm Beach, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Publix in March 2014.

Interview Details – For the location I worked for the store manager hires all employees for every department. I was warned that the customer base was demanding and that the employee base was diverse.

Interview Question – Do you think you really want to work here?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation phase.

Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – The application has to be filled out in the store, once that is done, expect to get a phone call within the next two weeks. Associates normally have to complete to in person interviews.

Interview Question – "What are your weaknesses" - This was my first time being asked this in an interview.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Wasn't really able to negotiate. I didn't have much kitchen experience so they gave me the starting salary. Kitchen experience, customer service certifications, etc. are very good and will give you leverage in negotiating your hourly rate

Interview Details – Initial communication email, two interviews

Interview Question – Tell me about your people experience.   View Answer

Deli Clerk

I applied in-person and the process took 6 days - interviewed at Publix in May 2013.

Interview Details – I was called and scheduled for an interview the same day. I was asked pretty basic questions. Try to have all your work credentials available. Once they make a decision they move pretty fast.

Interview Question – There weren't really any difficult questions.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Applied instore and revived a phone call a week later. Interview was done at a local store with the Store manager.

Interview Question – How would you resolve a conflict with another team memeber   Answer Question

Merritt Island, FL

The process took 6 days - interviewed at Publix in October 2012.

Interview Details – You have to apply in store, it's a basic application. Got a call for an interview with the Store Manager within a week of applying. It wasn't at the store I applied at, but one a few miles away. The interview was in his office. He asked about my experience, what I enjoy to do when I work, my schedule, and my description of good customer service. He called my references as well and then asked if I was open to working in the Deli instead of where I originally applied as a bagger, which was great and a big difference in pay!

Interview Question – If a customer walked up to your line (cutting in front of other people) and was unhapppy and demanded to talk to you, how would you handle the situation.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offered me the deli clerk postition for 9 dollars an hour, but I said I have more experience and they gave me 9.25 starting

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – It was easy for me to get into Publix because I already had a sister who worked there, and managers are more likely to call you if you're recommended by a current associate. The interview process was very simple - probably no more than 20 minutes. They told me about the job specifics, asked me why I was leaving my current job, etc.

Interview Question – The manager gave me a list of skills and asked me which one i thought was the most important. I chose "Customer Service skills" (which was the right answer) because Publix values customer service over everything.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix Deli Clerk interview questions and advice. All 16 interview reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees and interview candidates.