Publix Deli Clerk Interview Questions

Updated Oct 21, 2014

1.8

20 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Publix.

2 interviews, if you get called back for a second interview you pretty much have the job. Applied at a kiosk, it helps to know people that work there, they ask you a few very normal interview questions and in some cases they might ask you to sell something to them. For example they'll tell you to sell a stapler to them because they want to make sure you are competitive and aggressive at sales

Interview Questions
I suggest negotiating with the highest amount you were paid at your last place of work, they will start you off with more if you have experience at another deli

Other Interview Reviews for Publix

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix in May 2014.

1st interview was a simple one. Was asked, Why do u want to work here? What made you switch from an office job. Was pretty easy. No unexpected questions. 2nd was an interview with the Manager. Spoke with him for about an hour. Again, pretty easy. Then was called for pre orientation. Which was basically paper work and a drug test. And then was Orientation. Which was a day of training about history etc. Number of videos. And they also provided lunch.

No negotiation!!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Publix in March 2014.

For the location I worked for the store manager hires all employees for every department. I was warned that the customer base was demanding and that the employee base was diverse.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Publix.

The application has to be filled out in the store, once that is done, expect to get a phone call within the next two weeks. Associates normally have to complete to in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your weaknesses" - This was my first time being asked this in an interview.   View Answer
    Wasn't really able to negotiate. I didn't have much kitchen experience so they gave me the starting salary. Kitchen experience, customer service certifications, etc. are very good and will give you leverage in negotiating your hourly rate

Deli Clerk Interview

Initial communication email, two interviews

Deli Clerk Interview

Applied instore and revived a phone call a week later. Interview was done at a local store with the Store manager.

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a conflict with another team memeber   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Publix in May 2013.

I was called and scheduled for an interview the same day. I was asked pretty basic questions. Try to have all your work credentials available. Once they make a decision they move pretty fast.

Deli Clerk Interview

It was easy for me to get into Publix because I already had a sister who worked there, and managers are more likely to call you if you're recommended by a current associate. The interview process was very simple - probably no more than 20 minutes. They told me about the job specifics, asked me why I was leaving my current job, etc.

Interview Questions
    • The manager gave me a list of skills and asked me which one i thought was the most important. I chose "Customer Service skills" (which was the right answer) because Publix values customer service over everything.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merritt Island, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Merritt Island, FL

The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Publix in October 2012.

You have to apply in store, it's a basic application. Got a call for an interview with the Store Manager within a week of applying. It wasn't at the store I applied at, but one a few miles away. The interview was in his office. He asked about my experience, what I enjoy to do when I work, my schedule, and my description of good customer service. He called my references as well and then asked if I was open to working in the Deli instead of where I originally applied as a bagger, which was great and a big difference in pay!

Interview Questions
    • If a customer walked up to your line (cutting in front of other people) and was unhapppy and demanded to talk to you, how would you handle the situation.   View Answer
    They offered me the deli clerk postition for 9 dollars an hour, but I said I have more experience and they gave me 9.25 starting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix in August 2012.

They offered me an interview via phone. I was sitting down for my interview two days following. They did an oral drug test on the spot. A week later after I passed my drug test and background check, I attended a two day long paid training course with meals included.

They asked me about my previous work experience, what I did and did not like about my current job, and why I applied.

Interview Questions
    There was no need for me to negotiate pay. Nearly two dollars above minimum wage sounded great to me and was far more than what I was currently being paid. I took the bait and ran.