Publix

Updated Nov 29, 2014

1.9

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix.

Took about a month got an interview contacted screening then job. The process was not that stressful although you have to wait for the drug screenig. Afterwards you have to attend orientation at a particular location. Learning about ths company and offers are quite interesting really care about associates.

Interview Questions
  • How can you potentially up sell products in this environment.   Answer Question
They pay well no negotiation necessary.

Other Interview Reviews for Publix

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Publix.

2 interviews, if you get called back for a second interview you pretty much have the job. Applied at a kiosk, it helps to know people that work there, they ask you a few very normal interview questions and in some cases they might ask you to sell something to them. For example they'll tell you to sell a stapler to them because they want to make sure you are competitive and aggressive at sales

Interview Questions
    I suggest negotiating with the highest amount you were paid at your last place of work, they will start you off with more if you have experience at another deli

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dothan, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dothan, AL

I applied online – interviewed at Publix in October 2014.

The interview process was extremely professional. I waited on a bench outside of the office for about 10 minutes while they interviewed another person, and then I spoke with the store manager first, who asked me basic questions about why I wanted the job and how well I dealt with people. I then spoke with the Deli manager, who also asked many of the same questions. Both managers spoke with one another for almost 15 minutes while I waited on a bench, which made it very suspenseful--more so than it had been watching their poker faces during the interview-- and then I spoke with both of them at the same time. They were very hard to read and presented their concerns about my answers as well as what they liked and gave me a chance to explain/redeem myself when they didn't understand or misinterpreted any statements. I spent a lot of time feeling like I was going to have to grovel at their feet for the position due to a lack of clear wording. They picked apart everything I said. At the end, after stressing enough to take 10 years off of my life, the store manager looked at me and told me that he had decided to offer me a position, and asked if I would like to take him up on that offer. I was almost thoroughly flustered at that, simply because I'd just spent 2+ hours trying not to beg for this job. It seemed to me that it was obvious I wanted the job, and it was their choice to hire me. However, I appreciate that they followed through right to the end with professionalism instead of assuming I wanted the job. A few days later I was called for a second interview and they did a mouth swab drug test on the spot and took care of some basic paperwork. About a week later I got a call letting me know that everything came back and that they needed me to come in to take care of more paperwork and discuss orientation times and dates.

They care more about how well you work with people, and how friendly and courteous you can be to the customers. If you talk about how great your work ethics are (completing tasks on time and properly) and how punctual you can be, you'll wind up feeling pretty bad when they tell you that customer service is their number one priority and they don't really want to hear about the other. They certainly care about those aspects, however when being interviewed for a customer service position such as a bagger or cashier, focus on your people skills.

Interview Questions
    • There was not a specific question that struck me as being more difficult than the rest.   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix in May 2014.

1st interview was a simple one. Was asked, Why do u want to work here? What made you switch from an office job. Was pretty easy. No unexpected questions. 2nd was an interview with the Manager. Spoke with him for about an hour. Again, pretty easy. Then was called for pre orientation. Which was basically paper work and a drug test. And then was Orientation. Which was a day of training about history etc. Number of videos. And they also provided lunch.

No negotiation!!!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Palm Beach, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Publix in March 2014.

For the location I worked for the store manager hires all employees for every department. I was warned that the customer base was demanding and that the employee base was diverse.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation phase.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Publix.

The application has to be filled out in the store, once that is done, expect to get a phone call within the next two weeks. Associates normally have to complete to in person interviews.

Interview Questions
    • "What are your weaknesses" - This was my first time being asked this in an interview.   View Answer
    Wasn't really able to negotiate. I didn't have much kitchen experience so they gave me the starting salary. Kitchen experience, customer service certifications, etc. are very good and will give you leverage in negotiating your hourly rate

Deli Clerk Interview

Initial communication email, two interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pensacola, FL

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Publix in October 2013.

Had a friend in the deli, and was told it was a good place to work, decent pay, etc. I walked to the store to talk to the department manager, who seemed fairly friendly. He immediately brought over the store manager and we set up an interview for some time the following day - they said they would call me. I showed up at the store around 11:00am, in case they called early, I didn't want to upset them by having them wait. Around 4:00pm, after not having received a call, I finally went inside and was told the store manager went home but would be back in the next morning. I gladly came back and met with him. He said ideally, he wanted to sit down with both me and the deli manager for the interview, but that the other manager had just left on vacation that day. He agreed to interview me there, and after his approval, set up another interview with the department manager the following week. The first interview was very traditional, and the second was more or less showing/telling me what the job expectations were and asking if I could realistically handle them.

Interview Questions
    • "Do you believe the customer is always right?"   View Answer
    No real negotiation; I was offered $9.50 an hour to start, and accepted because it was a huge increase over my previous job.

Deli Clerk Interview

Applied instore and revived a phone call a week later. Interview was done at a local store with the Store manager.

Interview Questions
    • How would you resolve a conflict with another team memeber   Answer Question

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Publix in May 2013.

I was called and scheduled for an interview the same day. I was asked pretty basic questions. Try to have all your work credentials available. Once they make a decision they move pretty fast.