Publix Front Service Clerk Interview Questions

Updated Sep 11, 2014

1.6

24 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Front Service Clerk Interview

I already was a family member of many who attended this store.

Other Interview Reviews for Publix

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through other source. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix.

First Interview:
    Same-day call for same-day interview.
    Short, questionnaire-type first interview with store manager and related department managers.
    On-the-spot drug test and E-verify.
    Background check disclosure form.

Training/Orientation:
    Group sessions (paid), video lessons, hands-on training (in that order).

Questions:
    Why Publix?
    What would you do if...?
    Have you ever...? etc

No negotiation. Take it or leave it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Winter Haven, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Winter Haven, FL

I applied through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at Publix in September 2012.

All my manager went into detail with me during my interview was how much I would get payed, my availability, details about my specific job position and he asked me how excited I was about working at Publix. I was surprised that there was not much to the interview and that he did not mind the fact that I was still in my school clothes either. Before that happened I had been applying at Publix ever since I was fifteen years old at one of those application kiosks. I always prayed and hoped that I would get a job and finally on September 22, 2012 I started working at Publix for my very first time.

Interview Questions
    • How does $7.75 sound to you? This caught me by surprise because I did not expect to be offered the job right then and there.   View Answer
    No, I did not have a negotiation phase at my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix in December 2011.

Based off of my particular experience, they really just go strictly off of what you put on the application center. There's really no need to check up on it, because there's generally only one person that scopes out people to hire (usually being the manager of the particular departments you apply for), and if you try and check up on an application there's a good chance you won't be able to talk to that particular department manager, either them being busy or not being scheduled, plus they have a lot of others to look through, so it will do nothing. If they want you, they'll call you and tell you what location it is and what time to come in for an "interview" if you are still interested. After I applied, a couple of weeks later the customer service manager called me she did just this. I came in, waited for a couple of minutes, and she brought me over to a small office. She was nice, friendly, and got along with everyone, so I felt comfortable around her despite being the awkward person that I am. We sat down in said office, and she looked through a file with my application in it and was asking me about myself in regards to what was on my application and whatnot (where my last residence was, my future plans, where I was going to college, etc.), and just some basic stuff, as well as taken an under the tongue drug test she would have to send off. After basically just a conversation, she told me when I'd have my training and when she planned on having me start officially, as well as how much my starting pay would be. She took me over to the next office over and gave me a few sheets to sign and a couple of papers in regards to my training. Overall pretty laid back and didn't feel like an interview in a traditional sense.

Front Service Clerk Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Publix.

The interview was a pretty generic process. The first portion of the interview is basic questions pertaining to your behavior as responses in certain situations. Secondly, I was asked a series of questions in which they expected an elaborate answer. The mass majority of the interview questions were commonsense type and required little to no thought.

Interview Questions
    • The questions that were asked included: Is a flat time an excuse not to come to work?; and, What should you do if you are scheduled to work the next day and are feeling under the weather?;   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Valrico, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Valrico, FL

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Publix in January 2013.

I filled out the in-store application at one of the application centers and later got a call from a different store asking to set up an interview about a week later. I accepted, went in to the store and waited for what seemed forever (but what was actually most likely ten minutes). After a manager welcomed me, I followed her into a back room where the interview took place with a different manager. Overall it was a pretty easy interview, he commented that I was polite, but a little quiet though (although that came from my nervousness). The only things he asked were if I was willing to do the job and other "chores" around the store, what my hobbies were, and things of that nature and after that, it was my turn for questions. I mainly went with stuff like "What will my schedule be like?" and "When can I expect to hear from you on a decision?". He told me about a week from then and sure enough, I got the call asking if I still would like the job. I accepted and went in to get my drug test (well, drug test permission paper, because I was a minor but the drug test was the next day) but while the manager that administered the drug test said I would hear back in a couple days, it took a week for the results to come back, which was sort of unsettling because I didn't get any notification it would be late. But following the results I went into training and started my first day a week from then.

Interview Questions
    • "Now, seeing you're in school and all, how would you come to work after school? Would you go straight from school to work?"   View Answer
    • "Alright, let's role play. I'm a customer and you're a bagger. 'NO, DON'T PUT MY TOMATOES IN THAT BAG!' And you say?"   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Grayson, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Grayson, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days - interviewed at Publix in January 2013.

It was a very easy interview! Had a great hiring manager. The interview lasted about 1 hour and a half. But it was very positive! Questions were very simple, and then had main conversations about the supermarket. After this I was told when my first orientation date was and sent on my way :)

Interview Questions
    • Whats the best example of a situation in which you showed trustworthiness in? (Last 6 months)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Saint Petersburg, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Very easy interview process, don't even have to dress nice for the interview. Fist you fill out your application on the computer then they will call you back in about a week with an interview with the manager then you will be offered the job in the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • No difficult questions just basic questions that any can answer.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied in-person. The process took a day - interviewed at Publix in May 2010.

first, I went to the store and applied for a position. They took about 3 weeks to call me back on a wednesday for an interview. They first wanted me to do the interview that same Friday, but due to the early time they wanted me to come in, they rescheduled it to monday. The interview process was eay and straight to the point. The manager asked me questions such as why I left my last job, what makes me want to work for publix. Then he asked me details about all my other employers, and why I left each job. Then he proceeded to offer me the job. Immediately after this, he administered the drug screen. In about 3 days, they called me back to begin my training. Ever since then it has been golden.

Interview Questions
    Unfortunatley, I did not nogociate. I am more of a go with the flow person, so I really didnt try to say their thoughts about my job skills.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Tampa, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Publix in October 2009.

Interview was very short. Very few questions were asked and I barely spoke. Manager only asked simple questions such as availability, willing to work for designated pay rate and gave a brief overview of what the job responsibilities would be. The manager did not go over much about the Publix culture and expectations. I was called by the Administrative Coordinator who set up an interview with about 3 days notice. The interview was scheduled at 5pm and did not begin until about 545pm. It lasted probably less than 3 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Would you be willing to work nights/weekends/holidays?   Answer Question
    • Job requires constant customer interaction. Are you okay with this?   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate and would not recommend negotiation.

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!