Publix Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2015

2.0

Bagger Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

Interview

Applied at the machine and then introduced myself to the hiring manager and let them know that I applied. Got a call back within a week and got asked to come in for an interview. Interview was very relaxed, manager was very personable. Thought I came off as an outgoing friendly person. He thanked me for my time and told me I would hear back from them in a week or so.

Interview Questions

• Tell me what you know about Publix (the company) and why you want to work here.   Answer Question

Selector Interview

Anonymous Employee in Dacula, GA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Publix (Dacula, GA).

Interview

Waited forever .. Interviewer was late
    Interviewer kept focusing on how physical the job was (I am female and kind of small). I regularly lift heavy weights, worked manufacturing (heavy lifting) for 9+ years, and am solidly built. I feel like he kept seeing my gender as an issue. Questions were rushed and he seemed disinterested and hurried. Maybe I should have went into the interview in ripped jeans and a muscle shirt.

Interview Questions

• Why Publix, can you lift 30 pounds at least, can you do the physical portion of the job   Answer Question

Warehouse Selector Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

Interview

I applied online through the Publix careers web site. A few days later I received an email inviting me to take an online test (work attitude survey). I completed the test within the time frame they gave (48 hours).

Then came the long wait. About 2 weeks went by before I heard back from Publix. They emailed me to let me know I had been selected to interview for the position. The email contained a link to a site which had multiple dates/times to choose from for the interview. I selected the earliest date and time. I thought it might show I was very interested in the position

Fast forward to the interview. I arrived 25 minutes early. It took about 10 minutes to park, clear the security gate and get to the building in which the interview was held. So I still arrived 15 minutes early like their carrers site suggests. I waited for about 5 minutes before being taken back for the interview. Side note I wore dress pants with a shirt and tie and dress shoes. I also was clean shaven. I wanted to make a good impression even though it was essentially an entry level job.

The interview was really laid back. And by laid back, I mean laid back! It was as if I just stopped by to talk with a friend. I expected a traditional formal type interview so I was thrown off guard with how relaxed it was. The interview consisted of a brief resume review (bring a copy of your resume, I did and it was very much appreciated). I was asked a little about my employment history and my current job title. Then I was told the interview consisted of 8 simple questions. Starting with the most obvious question 'why publix?'. I was asked each question and gave the best answer I could. These questions seemed to fly by and before I knew it I was asked if I had any questions. I'm glad I prepared some to ask. Asking my questions and receiving answers lasted longer than the previous part of the interview. I asked questions that I actually wanted to have answered and not one just to look good. I asked about what my top priority would be if I got the job, the attitude amongst the warehouse staff, any uniform requirements and if he could explain how the standard index pay system worked. This last question actually helped out with knowing what the pay scale was without directly asking how much will I earn.

From what I was told it seemed as if the main concern for management was to have dependable employees who would turn up everyday and didn't mind fast paced repetitive work. My almost perfect attendance at my current job of 10 years helped reassure my point and I made sure to let him know that I was interested in the position and that repetitive physical work is what I am used to.

After I finished my questions I was aked if I wanted to see the warehouse. I said yes. While in there he explained what inventory they have, what the selectors do and how they do it.

We returned back to the interview room where I was given a a timeline of when I would hear back from the employment office on whether I got the job or not. 2-3 weeks was the timeline. Then the interview was over.

I left feeling not too confident. Only for the fact that it was really laid back. 3 long weeks went by before I got a call from the employment office inviting me to come by to complete a physical agility test. I went and it was a basic strength and dexterity test. Testing pushing, pulling and squeezing on their special equipment. I was then told I passed and then given the official job offer. Took a drug test and the results will determine if I get the job or not. I don't do drugs so the job is mine.

I wrote a long review because I couldn't find any in depth reviews while searching online so I hope this is helpful or it adds some insight into the interview process

I Applied for Various Positions But Ended Up In Deli Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Petersburg, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Publix (Saint Petersburg, FL) in April 2015.

Interview

I went into one store and met with the manager and asked if there was any positions open and i would like to work for the company. About 3 weeks later i get a phone call saying there is a position open at another store and if wanted to do an interview there and i said yes. So the day before and the day of i did a lot of research (mostly this site) just to see how the interview would go. Then when i got to the store I talked to the customer service asking for the hiring manager. when i started the interview i shook his hand and smiled and at first it seemed like he just wanted to get the interview over with like it was a waste of time but after a while we were laughing and telling jokes he asked me what positions i would like (i said bagging or stocking) and he said i have an opening in the deli but its hard work and he basically tried to talk me out of doing deli but i just held my ground and took the job.

Any Position Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Publix in April 2015.

Interview

The interview was quick and easy. The manager gave a run down of what he was looking for and what not. I did not receive an offer as I am a college student that needs to transfer between stores. The manager said he would call the local store and do some research for me. I appreciated his willingness to do so. He said he will call back the first of the week. Over all a good experience, with a quick and easy interview.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in Publix   1 Answer

Pharmacist Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Publix.

Interview

Easy. regular interview questions. Very low key. Asked about work history, ect. One on one with DM. Wanted to know about previous jobs, why you think public will be different, ect. Public is doing a lot of MTM and things like that and wanted to know if you think thats good.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Publix---A lot about the Public vision and mission   Answer Question

Negotiation

None. Good offer, accepted

Any Available Position Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix.

Interview

There was no real "interview". Walked in, met with the Store Manager (he rambled on about himself and other irrelevant things), and I was hired on the spot. But then again, I earned a degree, and was looking for an entry-level job in a grocery store.

Support III Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Publix (Lakeland, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

I got a call the next day for an interview. It was very professional and a bit intimidating. They asked all the typical interview questions. They told me that I was asking too much in salary for the position when it wasn't even 14 dollars an hour requested. They can defiantly afford more for a position they claim have supervisory duties.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle an employee that is not doing their job?   1 Answer

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) Interview

Application

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix.

Interview

I filled out the application on-site and got a call within 3-4 weeks. At the time, I was a teenager on summer break from school. The interview process was very efficient; it was only the second job interview I'd ever had and I was pleased with how quick, professional, and respectful it was. Whenever I had to wait in the break room to be called in, the employees were very friendly to me. I received a phonecall giving me the job offer within two days after the interview.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in the future?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Since this was my first job and I was 18, I was not offered any negotiations, nor did I request any.

Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Clemson, SC

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Publix (Clemson, SC) in February 2015.

Interview

I made sure I called at least once a week to make sure they were looking at my application. Eventually, I had an interview with the customer service manager. It was quick, only about 10 minutes if that, and they said stheyhe would give me a call back later in the week if the store manager wanted to meet me. You must interview with the store manager in order to receive an offer, as they make the last decision. I met with the store manager and that interview was only about 10 minutes as well. I was told that I would receive a call if they wish to hire me. The next day I received a call offering me a position in the produce department, which wasn't what I originally interviewed for, but I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Publix?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate and get a dollar more on my salary because I explained I wanted to keep open availability which is very valuable