Publix Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

1.9

Grocery Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

Easy. Walked in, filled out computer application, was called for interview within a few days. Interview questions were easy and straight forward. Some behavioral-style interview questions but mostly questions about background. They just want to get to know you. Publix does a great job at maintaining a friendly staff.

Data Entry Clerk, Bakery Office Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lakeland, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Publix (Lakeland, FL).

Interview

Met with multiple individuals, two managers and an HR person. We went through the standard Publix interview questions; very general questions you imagine when you think job interview. Toward the end there were some technical questions regarding database software they used. Just read the job description. If you plow through the answers it takes about 20 minutes until you have an opportunity to ask your own. It took a few weeks after applying online to hear back, I got a call from a general HR person, initially. All in all, straight forward process, a little muddled by too many chefs in the kitchen perhaps.

Interview Questions

• "So tell us a little bit about yourself." is always the opener.   1 Answer

Any Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

Unfortunately and apparently due to the location of the store, my interview process was mostly disappointing. I have several family members who work for or have retired from Publix and had great things to say about the company. Sadly the interview was held by an associate who appeared to have been surprised that she had to interview me. Needless to say the interview went downhill fast. I felt like I was the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• I was asked if I was sure I was at three right store for the interview.   1 Answer

Part Time Stock Clerk Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

It was a fairly basic interview. I sat down with the grocery manager and he asked some questions about my work history and experience. I already knew I was well qualified so it didn't take very long for him to give me a yes and start the paperwork for me to go to training.

Interview Questions

• Can you work at a fast pace?   1 Answer

Food Demonstrator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Publix.

Interview

I applied online and the store called me in for an interview. You'll most likely be asked questions by the store assistant manager along with the store manager. Upon the interview, you also get a tour of the store and it's environment to make a pleasant shopping experience for the customers.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself and why you applied for the job. What are your strengths? What are your goals?   2 Answers

All Interview

Anonymous Employee in Miami, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Publix (Miami, FL) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied got a call the next day went in for an interview. I was instiervoed by 2 managers one of which spoke about Publix and the benefits they offered.

Bagger/Cashier Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Publix in August 2015.

Interview

It was very short. Basic questions. Informal. Friendly discussion with the assistant customer service manager. I made sure to show up early with resumes. It was more of a get to know session than an interview. Questions included: what is premier customer service? Tell me a little about yourself. How would you deal with an angry customer service?

Meat Department Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Suwanee, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Publix (Suwanee, GA) in August 2015.

Interview

A friend referred me after seeing a "help wanted" sign in the Deli Department of a local store. After completing the application and assessment test via the in-store computer, I was called in for an interview. The interview was for a different, but convenient store location and for a different department -- the meat department. The initial interview was with the Meat Department Manager. I felt that he wanted to hire me on the spot but he said he needed to check with either the Store Manager or the Assistant Store Manager. I received a call the next day and interviewed with the Assistant Store Manager a day after that. He was very informal and spent most of the time telling me about Publix the benefits, etc. He was very respectful and friendly. He administered the "swab test" for drugs and submitted that and the background test the same day, explaining that it usually takes 2-3 business days to get it back, and then I would need to go through orientation which is only held on Saturdays at a nearby facility.

Interview Questions

• The main question asked by the assist store manager was, "Why Publix?" It didn't feel like a typical "question and answer" interview but more of a "lets get to know each other" interview. It was very positive, friendly and respectful.   1 Answer

Negotiation

They offered more than I expected and it was in line with GlassDoor average for the meat department position.

Bakery Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne Beach, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Publix (Melbourne Beach, FL).

Interview

It was VERY hard for me to get interviewed. I applied (you must apply at a computer station in-store) and came in once a twice a week for two months before I got called in, and even then it was to another store that was a half hour away from my house. (Annoying, since I applied to a store within walking distance from my home with the intention of saving money by biking to work. Instead, I spent a good chunk of money on gas getting to and from my shifts.) Once I got the interview, though, it was a breeze. Unless you really bomb the interview or fail the drug test, you've pretty much got the job by that point. My interviewing manager was very pleasant to talk with and was kind about calming me down (it was my first interview and I was a *little* nervous), and he went through pretty standard questions. He asked me what position I was applying for, and when I explained that I had my heart set on the bakery he told me they didn't really have openings there. I said that I would be happy to work as a cashier or in another department until something opened up, and he asked if I would be willing to get up as early as 4AM to work in the bakery. I said yes, and he very generously spoke the department manager and got me a starting position there.

Interview Questions

• What were my interests and subjects of study in school?   Answer Question

Bagger Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gainesville, FL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Publix (Gainesville, FL).

Interview

Just smile, and emphasize your ability to be a compassionate individual. Make sure you imply your long-term intentions, and how the long term is what is really attracting you to the company.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about premier customer service.   3 Answers