Publix Interview Questions

Updated Apr 14, 2015
Updated Apr 14, 2015

2.0

Deli Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Publix (Orlando, FL) in July 2008.

Interview

After taking time out from my vacation,I took an impromptu interview witha store manager,for Publix,in Orlando.The initial discussion,was rude,unprofessional,and completely insulting!I informed the manager that I had 20 years of experience,to wit he responded"we want you to come in,SHUT UP,and kind of blend in to the background,we don't want you acting like you're better than anyone else!"
      If you don't expect excellence out of your employees,you can't get excellence out of your employees!He proceede to further insult me by offering me $8.00 an hour to start,and only part time hours!!
      I have almost completely closed the door on any further interaction with the company,and would need a remarkably good interview process to counter this horrible one!

Interview Questions

Insulted by the lack of respect for the body of my work,my experience,and the salary offer was a joke!

Demand Planning Manager Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Publix in March 2012.

Interview

Two Phone interviews, group interview, & final interview

Interview Questions

• Give me a situation where you did not agree with you Manager view point as you felt it was unethical and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question

Corporate Manager Position Interview

Application

The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Publix (Lakeland, FL) in March 2012.

Interview

I thought the interview process was a little strange coming in with over 20 years of relevant experience. I had to take 4 hours worth of tests more difficult than my SAT's The worst part was the test had nothing to do with the job I was applying for. If they did, I would not have mind taking them. Also you sit there for four hours and nobody offered me a drink or restroom break. I would recommend anyone applying at the Lakeland office to study as you did for the SAT's, do plenty of brain teasers, etc...

Any Restored Employment Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Publix (Charleston, SC) in August 2011.

Interview

Hiring is accomplished by store managers and corporation offices for positions outside individual stores .... this corporation is very dishonest unwilling to admit denial of federal emergency medical leave benefits and keeps employees under 40 hours to deny them paid vacations.... The corporation culture is betraying the admitted philosophy of founder George Jenkins who built a loyal tradition behind his employees, now that he is dead since 1995 the properties are more obsessed with renting space next to stores than increasing market share by paying all it's employees living wages

Interview Questions

• can you wait over a year to be hired?   1 Answer

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Publix (Clearwater, FL) in March 2010.

Interview

an extreme amount of questions that make you really think about who you are as a person just to bag groceries. I thought the training videos were extremely slow, some of the managers leading the 4 hour training program were so excited about spending a Saturday morning training new employees I was a little worried.

Interview Questions

• "an elderly woman asks to double bag her cans because she is afraid they will break. What do you do?"

"Should you at any point bag the bread and eggs together under any circumstances?"

"What is the purpose of life?"

1 Answer

Negotiation

There was none. Minimum wage or leave.

Deli Clerk Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Publix (Dothan, AL) in October 2014.

Interview

The interview process was extremely professional. I waited on a bench outside of the office for about 10 minutes while they interviewed another person, and then I spoke with the store manager first, who asked me basic questions about why I wanted the job and how well I dealt with people. I then spoke with the Deli manager, who also asked many of the same questions. Both managers spoke with one another for almost 15 minutes while I waited on a bench, which made it very suspenseful--more so than it had been watching their poker faces during the interview-- and then I spoke with both of them at the same time. They were very hard to read and presented their concerns about my answers as well as what they liked and gave me a chance to explain/redeem myself when they didn't understand or misinterpreted any statements. I spent a lot of time feeling like I was going to have to grovel at their feet for the position due to a lack of clear wording. They picked apart everything I said. At the end, after stressing enough to take 10 years off of my life, the store manager looked at me and told me that he had decided to offer me a position, and asked if I would like to take him up on that offer. I was almost thoroughly flustered at that, simply because I'd just spent 2+ hours trying not to beg for this job. It seemed to me that it was obvious I wanted the job, and it was their choice to hire me. However, I appreciate that they followed through right to the end with professionalism instead of assuming I wanted the job. A few days later I was called for a second interview and they did a mouth swab drug test on the spot and took care of some basic paperwork. About a week later I got a call letting me know that everything came back and that they needed me to come in to take care of more paperwork and discuss orientation times and dates.

They care more about how well you work with people, and how friendly and courteous you can be to the customers. If you talk about how great your work ethics are (completing tasks on time and properly) and how punctual you can be, you'll wind up feeling pretty bad when they tell you that customer service is their number one priority and they don't really want to hear about the other. They certainly care about those aspects, however when being interviewed for a customer service position such as a bagger or cashier, focus on your people skills.

Interview Questions

• There was not a specific question that struck me as being more difficult than the rest.   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Publix (North Charleston, SC) in March 2014.

Interview

I found out a store in my area was hiring. Soon after my boyfriend got an interview, I put in my application and got a call a few days later. I've heard of the companies good reputation so I thought I would give it a shot as I've been looking for a part time job while I go to college in May. I returned the call and had an interview with a department manager the same day. Not only did he seem to be in a bad mood, but so did the CSR I spoke to beforehand. I waited for 20 minutes before getting to the interview, to which I initially felt pretty confident for. Although I don't have any customer service experience, I was looking to get my foot in the door. He asked about any nicknames I had, to which I didn't go by anything ot her than my first name. Immediately after he asked what I would want put on my epitaph/gravestone. The question completely threw me off as I hadn't really known the process of something like that. I told him I didn't understand the question to which he rolled his eyes before asking if I'd ever walked through a grave yard. After that, my motivation to obtain this job slowly dwindled. The questions ranged from my favorite color, my favorite historical figure and why, my GPA in school, to a question about different colored socks and since "I was going to be an engineer, I should be a good problem solver". If I would have gotten the job offer, I more than likely would not have taken it. The employees I spoke to in this process seemed a bit rude and unfriendly. I understand that every store is different, but these people represent the company and my experience was not good by any means.

Interview Questions

• A question about what I wanted on my gravestone, a problem solving question about socks, and a favorite historical figure.   Answer Question

Logistics Supervisor Interview

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Publix (Lakeland, FL) in September 2011.

Interview

I applied online after the position was posted for Labor Day weekend. I was called 2 weeks later to come in the following week for testing. I went to the testing with 4 other Publix employees. Testing was 3 hours at HQ next to Polk Pkwy. Testing was 3 different testing, and the questions expect for the last package from Publix was harded then the SAT or any test I toke in College. I was called 3 weeks later to come in the following week for an interview. At the interview I meet with 3 gentlemen. Questions seemed to be designed in a workbook designed by Publix HR. Was told at the end I would need to take 1 more 30 mintue test and a decision would be made the the end of the week (3 days away). The last test was one a labtop on a room with a HR rep who gave me a prompt on a paper asking me to write a paper on a issue a company is having and how I can fix it. No call, but I recieved an email 2 week laters stating I did not get the job, only after I checked the website daily to finally see the position close under my online account.

This company internal is based on the good ole boy system. I heard it before I applied and even more after. Pass employees of Publix have told me that the only reason I did not get the job ( knowing that I qualified based on my skills and resume) is I did not work there before and I did not know someone( who knew someone) who was directly responsible in the hiring process.

Good Luck, if you apply for a HQ job....

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to face a employee who did not want face a company change?   Answer Question

Lineworker Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at Publix (Lawrenceville, GA) in May 2010.

Interview

The interviewer mad me so uncomfortable, it was ridiculous. H egave me this random math test and I completely bombed it because I felt as if he was watching and waiting for me while I was completing it.

Interview Questions

• How is your work ethic   1 Answer
    • How would you communicate with your maintenance worker to let him know that something is going wrong with the machine?   1 Answer

Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix (Lakeland, FL) in July 2011.

Interview

It started with phone interview then a testing day

Interview Questions

• Tell us why you are best fit   1 Answer