Publix

Updated Nov 23, 2014
Updated Nov 23, 2014

2.0

Deli Clerk Interview

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix.

Took about a month got an interview contacted screening then job. The process was not that stressful although you have to wait for the drug screenig. Afterwards you have to attend orientation at a particular location. Learning about ths company and offers are quite interesting really care about associates.

Interview Questions
    • How can you potentially up sell products in this environment.   Answer Question
    They pay well no negotiation necessary.

Part Time Cashier Interview

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Publix.

I applied in the store and ten days later they called me for an interview. The interviewing process is fairly simple.I met with the store manager and she went over my resume. She told me about job, benefits, etc. One week later, I've got an offer, overall great experience

Deli Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Publix in May 2010.

At the time, my unemployment was running out and I was getting really desperate (sent out 1200 resumes in 5-6 months and only 2 interviews-no offers). It was a store that I shopped at and I asked the store manager if there were any front office positions. He said they didn't really have a lot of hours for the front end but asked if I would be interested in working the deli. I decided that I would try it out and asked me to come back and talk to him the following week. We had a short conversation and I was hired

Interview Questions
    • If I wanted to work in the deli. It was a very kind offer but having spent so many years in a desk job, I didn't think I was going to be able to hack it. I think because I was older and fairly well spoken (and lived pretty close to the location) the manager felt that I was more than qualified at least in maturity.   View Answer
    The positions all had a small window ($3-5 range) so the manager offered me the highest of the range. Unfortunately, I learned later that it would not be possible to increase my salary at all (not even performance based increases)

Cashier Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

I applied in the store and one week later they called me for an interview. The interviewing process is fairly simple.I met with the store manager and she went over my resume. She was very nice. One week later, I've got an offer, overall great experience

Customer Service Staff Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mobile, AL

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

Applied at kiosk in store, received a call back 2 weeks later. First interview was with the assistant manager and it was very relaxed; more of a "get to know you" type interview. They did ask about my previous customer service experience, and also to tell them about a time that I dealt with an upset customer and what did I do about to handle the situation. Was told during the first interview that they liked me and they would call me the next day for a second interview with the store manager. As expected, they called the next day to schedule the second interview. This interview took place 4 days after the first. The manager asked me what I know about Publix and then proceeded to explain the origins of the company to me (I honestly had not researched that question). The interview was again very relaxed and the manager explained how there's a lot of opportunity to advance within Publix. No unexpected questions. I feel like, as in the first interview, they were trying to get a feel for who you are as a person. Was called the next day with an offer for full-time employment.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation, set hourly pay.

Grocery Clerk Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Murfreesboro, TN

I applied in-person – interviewed at Publix in November 2014.

I applied at the in store kiosk and introduced myself to a manager. Told him I had just moved to Tennessee from Massachusetts and had 8 years of experience at Market Basket. He took down my name and number and called me back the next day for an interview.

Interview Questions
    They told me they couldn't match my previous salary of $10.25, but I'd be up for a raise soon. So I accepted $9.50.

Apply in store, introduce yourself to a manager, be flexible with your availability.

Deli Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Publix in November 2014.

I applied at the kiosk a few days ago and received the call today for an interview. It was about 2pm and the manager asked me to come in later tonight around 7pm if possible. I went and the manager was very nice. He took me to his office and began the questions. The interview took about 30 minutes and I was hired on the spot. I go in tomorrow for the drug test and should be doing orientations in the middle of next week after the tests come back. I'm very excited!

Interview Questions
    • Why you want to work here, what you know about the deli dept., strengths/weaknesses you have, went over my app and what my goals were 2 years and 10 years from now, etc.   Answer Question

Stock Clerk Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Publix.

Easy- In store and took about 40 minutes. About three weeks later they called me back for a interview. There were only three other competitors for the position. I arrived about 15 minutes early. The manager was very nice. Quite an easy interview I'll say. Overall a great experience and hope to get the job!

Front Service Clerk (Bagger) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roswell, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix in March 2014.

Very straightforward, we discussed job duties and responsibilities, transportation, availability. I was asked what I know of Publix History, my idea of customer service, and how I would handle a "bad" customer. Customer comes first, service is top in importance, making them happy. Finalized with an offer of pay and the job, and I took it.

Interview Questions
    • How do you think you would handle a customer angry at a failed product?   View Answer
    We both agreed to the base pay.

Cashier/Deli Cashier Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summerville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Summerville, SC

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Publix in April 2014.

Applied at the Publix very close to my house at the time,using the hiring kiosk in the store.I was called 2 days later about setting up an interview 2 days after that,which I went to.When I arrived the usual 10 minutes early,I was told to wait in the employee break area.While there,I talked to 3 different employees about their jobs and how their interviews went.None of them had been interviewed any less than 4 times.Four! And one of them was just a bagger.Afterwards I had my interview,it was maybe 15 minutes long and easy,but that wasn't with the hiring manager and they needed me to come back to talk with her.I agreed to come back the next week for that [not sure why anyone other than the hiring manager would be doing 1st interviews,but whatever].

I came back that next week to talk to the hiring manager,and that also went just fine,but wasn't even 10 minutes long.She said she wanted to set up an interview with the deli/bakery manager and to come back 4 days later for it.She told me she would set me up elsewhere in the store if that didn't work out,so not to sweat it too much.So I go in to the 3rd interview feeling pretty good,but the deli manager seems cranky and super uptight.I was told by the other two managers I didn't need experience for the position and it could be part or full time,but she very bluntly says when I tell her I have no experience that you definitely need it and that Publix never offers full time positions to anyone.I can't believe a manager of the store would act so poorly and make her own section/store look so bad.I told the store manager shortly after the interview that I think it didn't go to well due to mis-communication about the position,and she said she would look into it.I never heard back after that.

Publix seems like a nice place to work,but the fact that I couldn't find anyone who interviewed only once or twice is ridiculous.It's not Google or some other big time company,stop making people go through so many hoops just to MAYBE get a job at your grocery store.

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about Publix as a company?   View Answer