Publix

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

North Charleston, SC

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Publix in March 2014.

Interview Details – I found out a store in my area was hiring. Soon after my boyfriend got an interview, I put in my application and got a call a few days later. I've heard of the companies good reputation so I thought I would give it a shot as I've been looking for a part time job while I go to college in May. I returned the call and had an interview with a department manager the same day. Not only did he seem to be in a bad mood, but so did the CSR I spoke to beforehand. I waited for 20 minutes before getting to the interview, to which I initially felt pretty confident for. Although I don't have any customer service experience, I was looking to get my foot in the door. He asked about any nicknames I had, to which I didn't go by anything ot her than my first name. Immediately after he asked what I would want put on my epitaph/gravestone. The question completely threw me off as I hadn't really known the process of something like that. I told him I didn't understand the question to which he rolled his eyes before asking if I'd ever walked through a grave yard. After that, my motivation to obtain this job slowly dwindled. The questions ranged from my favorite color, my favorite historical figure and why, my GPA in school, to a question about different colored socks and since "I was going to be an engineer, I should be a good problem solver". If I would have gotten the job offer, I more than likely would not have taken it. The employees I spoke to in this process seemed a bit rude and unfriendly. I understand that every store is different, but these people represent the company and my experience was not good by any means.

Interview Question – A question about what I wanted on my gravestone, a problem solving question about socks, and a favorite historical figure.   Answer Question

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – Oh my goodness, the interview process was so easy! But originally the store manager was going to put me to work in the deli, and after calling several times, he said the deli position is closed but he offered me a job as a cashier! That was awesome!

Interview Question – In the second interview, I was asked, "Besides the money, why do you want to work at Publix?"   View Answer

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – after you apply at a computer in store you first you get a call to come in for an interview you get to know you immediate manager and interiew with him or her then you aretold to wait for a call to come back and have a drug test done orally at the store if you pass then you get your orientation information for the next weekend.

Interview Question – are you going to school and how does publix fit into your chose career path.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there really wasnt one it was my first job

Gainesville, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix in January 2013.

Interview Details – Well, first off it really helps if you know someone, and also if you are confident in yourself, in my case i walked up to the store manager directly and let him know i had broad experience and was really interested in working for this great company, and also i am bilingual. He of course said he wasn't sure if they were hiring(like all employers do).
So i went and applied anyway.
I called everyday to check the status of my application until i was called to come in for and interview. The drug test was strange. But basically if you are interviewed with this employer, you basically have the job in the bag.

Negotiation Details – wages, they tried to start my pay at 7.25. but i let them know that i was worth more, not only for my experience and bilinguality, but also i made more at all previous jobs.

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Interview with two mangers, just have a good smile and be yourself

Interview Question – Asked basic question, why you want the job, tell me about yourself, are you a minor   Answer Question

Lawrenceville, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – I applied in store at their kiosks, and wasn't really hopeful because jobs these days are scarce. Literally 6 hours later, I got a call from the customer service manager & we just went over and confirmed my availability & other things that I put on my application. He scheduled me for an interview about two days later I believe. I interviewed with him, it lasted about 30 min. and it was pretty much a basic interview (how would you describe yourself, tell me about your work experience, how will it help you with this job, what can you bring to this store). He then scheduled me for another interview the next day with the store manager. At that interview, the questions were pretty much the same, but a more in depth answer was needed, and it was pretty much like a regular conversation, just about the job. I was offered the position, then was asked to take a drug test in office. I would get a call back when the results came in.

Interview Question – None were that difficult honestly.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate, he offered me $.50 more than my current job, and that may not seem like a lot, but it really does add up!

Sarasota, FL

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied at an in-store kiosk center and was contacted by another store within 3-4 weeks. I was called in for an interview with the store manager. He was very kind and welcoming. I felt like he was genuinely interested in me and my hobbies. He asked me about my ambitions and why I choose to work at Publix. He explained to me the company culture and work environment and was very clear on what my job tasks would be.

Interview Question – What makes this company different from others supermarkets that you've experienced?   View Answer

Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Publix in September 2012.

Interview Details – Not very detailed interview. Just told me about Publix and stressed this was a psychically demanding job. (Standing for long periods of time)

Interview Question – No questions directed to me. Just told me about Publix.   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – You fill out a kiosk application - bring documentation and resume WITH you as you always may get to interview on the spot.

Next step is Store Manager and Department Manager interview. Your interview sheet is printed and they write notes on it.

Next step if approved is the IN-STORE saliva drug test. They discontinued the pee test last I saw. Then if you pass and your background investigation passes, then you get hired IF they have room for you.

Other stores can pull from the hiring pool.

For Customer Service upgrade interviews they can do a credit check.

Interview Question – How you handle other people - the more difficult part for some people is the psychological test in the kiosk.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offer a salary right there and explain that you can qualify for raises every six months that automatically happen if you get a good evaluation. I accepted what they offered which was below $10 per hour but it's worth it to work there.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix Part Time Cashier interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees and interview candidates.