Publix

Getting the Interview

Average Difficulty
18 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Part Time Cashier

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – You fill out a kiosk application - bring documentation and resume WITH you as you always may get to interview on the spot.

Next step is Store Manager and Department Manager interview. Your interview sheet is printed and they write notes on it.

Next step if approved is the IN-STORE saliva drug test. They discontinued the pee test last I saw. Then if you pass and your background investigation passes, then you get hired IF they have room for you.

Other stores can pull from the hiring pool.

For Customer Service upgrade interviews they can do a credit check.

Interview Question – How you handle other people - the more difficult part for some people is the psychological test in the kiosk.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – They offer a salary right there and explain that you can qualify for raises every six months that automatically happen if you get a good evaluation. I accepted what they offered which was below $10 per hour but it's worth it to work there.

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Interview with two mangers, just have a good smile and be yourself

Interview Question – Asked basic question, why you want the job, tell me about yourself, are you a minor   Answer Question

Part Time Cashier

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – after you apply at a computer in store you first you get a call to come in for an interview you get to know you immediate manager and interiew with him or her then you aretold to wait for a call to come back and have a drug test done orally at the store if you pass then you get your orientation information for the next weekend.

Interview Question – are you going to school and how does publix fit into your chose career path.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – there really wasnt one it was my first job

Miami, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – Oh my goodness, the interview process was so easy! But originally the store manager was going to put me to work in the deli, and after calling several times, he said the deli position is closed but he offered me a job as a cashier! That was awesome!

Interview Question – In the second interview, I was asked, "Besides the money, why do you want to work at Publix?"   View Answer

Gainesville, GA

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix in January 2013.

Interview Details – Well, first off it really helps if you know someone, and also if you are confident in yourself, in my case i walked up to the store manager directly and let him know i had broad experience and was really interested in working for this great company, and also i am bilingual. He of course said he wasn't sure if they were hiring(like all employers do).
So i went and applied anyway.
I called everyday to check the status of my application until i was called to come in for and interview. The drug test was strange. But basically if you are interviewed with this employer, you basically have the job in the bag.

Negotiation Details – wages, they tried to start my pay at 7.25. but i let them know that i was worth more, not only for my experience and bilinguality, but also i made more at all previous jobs.

Atlanta, GA

I applied online - interviewed at Publix in September 2012.

Interview Details – Not very detailed interview. Just told me about Publix and stressed this was a psychically demanding job. (Standing for long periods of time)

Interview Question – No questions directed to me. Just told me about Publix.   Answer Question

Spring Hill, TN

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in March 2013.

Interview Details – Interview was easy and was hired on the spot. Also Questions are very easy to answer. Hiring was very fast fpr me was offered pay and job that day and accepted.

Part Time Cashier

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Publix.

Interview Details – Once you get the interview you basically got the job, take the drug test in house same day mouth swab, next they set up job training that's on Saturday and Sunday that's 4hrs of long videos that you really don't have to pay attention to but you get paid for going then you do another training at the publix your located at and then you start working.

Interview Question – No difficult questions at all.   Answer Question

Fairview, TN

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Publix in April 2013.

Interview Details – My interviewer was new to the interview process. She was probably as nervous as I was. I purposely did not include all the positions I had held in the past. There was only one interview with very few questions and I was hired on the spot.

Interview Question – My interviewer did not propose difficult or unexpected questions. The interview process was as basic and straight forward as I've ever experienced.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was offered a slightly better starting pay with minimal cashier experience.

Parrish, FL

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in July 2011.

Interview Details – There is not much to say about the interview process it was a very easy interview. I had a private interview where the store manager asked me a couple questions and then I left.

Interview Question – They were all easy   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix Part Time Cashier interview questions and advice. All 18 interview reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees and interview candidates.