Publix

1 Interview Review

2.0

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Pharmacy Intern Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a weekinterviewed at Publix in March 2013.

I had an interview with a Publix pharmacist in mid-March of this year as I was seeking an internship at the store for the summer and perhaps throughout the following school year. I was five minutes early to the interview, and dressed professionally, padfolio in hand. The pharmacist greeted me courteously with a firm handshake and led me into one of the offices in the back to discuss the job benefits of being a pharmacy intern. He had already seen my basic job application through the computer system, and confirmed some of the questions with me, such as the number of hours I was willing to work and my education status. Next he began the formal interview process, the first question being “Tell me about yourself.” I launched into a brief speech about my status in school, my degree, my hobbies, and my interests in the pharmacy field. He asked me what made me like the retail side of pharmacy, and I responded that it had an appeal with its predictable work routine, the flexibility, and the consultation of and interactions with patients on a daily basis. I had mentioned that I had 80 hours of retail experience already at Walgreens for IPPE requirements, and the pharmacist asked me to expound on what I had learned from that. I felt very confident and engaged at this point in the interview, as the atmosphere felt easy enough for me to comfortably relate my best qualities. Thus, I went into detail about my duties in preparing and dispensing medications, communicating with technicians and sometimes drug manufacturers, and assisting patients with finding OTC medications in the aisles. One of the last questions that the pharmacist asked me was “What was my proudest accomplishment?”, and I easily replied that it was my gaining admission into one of the best colleges of pharmacy in the nation, and that I had made a huge step towards my goal of being a pharmacist that I had envisioned since the beginning of high school.

With that, the formal questioning of the interview seemed to be over, and the pharmacist appeared very pleased with my responses. He then led me out to the pharmacy area and showed me around, pointing out the workspace and such. Next he took me over to the computer, pulled up a screen and asked me to type the paragraph as fast as I can to test my word processing skills. I did what I was told quickly and efficiently, which the pharmacist commented on. Then he asked me the generic name for Zoloft, which had escaped me at the moment from the unexpectedness of the question. However, the pharmacist told me that he did not expect me to know everything yet and said how he hoped to still have me on board as an intern. He told me about a second interview that I was to have with the district manager in the coming weeks and that that would put me through to start working with them. I thanked him very much for his time and remarked that I had always enjoyed Publix and would love to work there, especially as it did not seem as fast-paced as Walgreens when I had worked there. We shook on that and I left feeling just as confident that my first pharmacy internship interview had gone well.

Interview Questions