Publix

Getting the Interview

8 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Produce Clerk

I applied online - interviewed at Publix in June 2012.

Interview Details – Pretty standard interview. No real difficult questions, although for this position they were looking for someone who would work odd hours: 4am to 1pm. I said I was fine with that, but that I was going back to school at the end of the summer, and I think that made them reluctant. I thought I was pretty qualified, but apparently they weren't interested.

Interview Question – The manager handed me a box of pop-tarts and said, "Here, sell this to me."   Answer Question

Produce Clerk

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Publix in July 2009.

Interview Details – It is fairly easy to get a job at Publix. They sometimes (not always) hire people starting at age 14. I started working at the Destin Publix when I was 15. The application process is automated, and must be done at an in store kiosk. The interview was not too hard either. I didn't even have to rehearse or prepare for it, and I was still hired on the spot (this may be partly because I applied right before the summer season, and it gets BUSY during that time).

Most of the interview questions were pretty basic, like "Tell me about yourself", "what do you think makes a good employee", "what was the hardest decision you made this year and why", "are you a leader or a follower", "how can you contribute to this store", etc.

Interview Question – "Tell me about yourself"
"what do you think makes a good employee"
"are you a leader or a follower"
  Answer Question

Tuscaloosa, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Publix in March 2012.

Interview Details – After you get a call back, the store or department manager will interview you personally. They'll do a typical question process determining your personality and work ethic while reviewing your application with you. If they like what they see they'll give you a call back for a second interview. Getting a second interview means you have the job.

Interview Question – Why did you choose Publix over any other grocery store?   View Answer

Orlando, FL

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Publix in July 2010.

Interview Details – Filled out the application on the computer, met with the store manager, 10 minute un-official interview then followed. two days later met with assistant store manage who administered a drug test, and formally gave me an interview. one week later I started orientation

Interview Question – Can you work on Sundays   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – simple. It dealt with hourly pay rate only as I have had significant past experience in the department.

Huntsville, AL

I applied in-person and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Publix in March 2012.

Interview Details – Filled out application on computer located within the store and received a call about a month later from the produce manager. He explained the duties of a produce clerk and asked my experience within retail and any grocery experience, and why I might be interested in working with produce. The process was comfortable and easy, like talking to a friend I'd known for a while.

Interview Question – There were no unexpected or difficult questions.   Answer Question

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

I applied in-person and the process took a day - interviewed at Publix in September 2008.

Interview Details – I received a call from the regional HR rep after applying on their intranet application. They expressed interest for an interview which was scheduled immediately for the following week. Prior retail.grocery experience and career interests seemed like their major reasons for following up the application with a 1:1 interview. Professionalism is definitely looked for and appreciated.

Interview Question – Why are you interested in working for this company?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiations were made after an initial job offer. Since I would have to travel farther then another local Publix they increase my starting wage to offset the inconvenience and gas costs.

Oviedo, FL

The process took a day - interviewed at Publix in October 2008.

Interview Details – I had worked for Publix in the Deli, a position opened in Produce, I ROI'ed, interviewed, and was hired.

Interview Question – How would you offer great customer service?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Publix

Interview Details – Applied in the store
Received a call that following week
Basically informed about the job and what they were looking for

Negotiation Details – They made an offer and I accepted it

Interviews for Top Jobs at Publix

Worked for Publix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Publix Produce Clerk interview questions and advice. All 8 interview reviews posted anonymously by Publix employees and interview candidates.