Pubmatic

15 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Software Architect Interview

Software Architect

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pubmatic in January 2014.

Interview Details – The interview process was unorganized and unprofessional. Company was not clear about why they wanted to hire for the position and I am guessing they did not fill the position. I was not informed of outcome after four rounds with eight people across three cities and two continents. The recruiter / HR was clueless in the process and just a goat. Sheer waste of everyone's time.

Interview Question – What is the role about?   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pubmatic in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through linkedin. Then I had a call with the recruiter and then the Director of Engg. Some technical questions on Java, multithreading on the phone. I was called in to meet with the engg team - first interviewer was a data architect and he asked me architecture questions followed by some database questions. Then 2nd interviewer was one of the founders - he asked me a lot of database questions, compare nosql versus sql, primary vs secondary indexes in certain scenarios. 3rd interviewer was an architect and he asked high level design questions based on distributed clusters, fault tolerance.
It seemed from the interviews that they wanted specific ETL/database tuning skills and not developer skills.
The recruiter also spoke with me for sometime asking me general HR questions.
At the end, I was told I would hear back in 24-48 hours. It has been weeks now and have heard nothing.

Interview Question – Something about a flexible in-memory data store. Turned out to be related to a metamarkets(druid) application they use.   Answer Question

Talent Acquisition Interview

Talent Acquisition
Redwood City, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pubmatic.

Interview Details – The process took about 2 months from applying. They called for a 45 min phone interview and didn't reply for a good month. After the 2nd round of interview, it took another 2 weeks for them to answer. Hiring manager didn't give give feedback when asked.

Not to Disclose Interview

Not to Disclose

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Pubmatic.

Interview Details – I applied the position online, the process includes 2 phone interview and 2 onsite over 3 months. The process is horrible. The people in this company are arrogant. They never respect the applicant time. They never ask applicant what is a good time for you, they just give you a time. After the schedule set, they change it again and again. When I went to onsite, they kept me waiting an hour without any explanation. After each interview, there is no feed back and they do not answer your email.

Interview Question – Nothing Difficult or Unexpected Question   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive

Interviewed at Pubmatic

Interview Details – Applied online, and was contacted within 24 hours by their human resources department.

Very professional interviewer and knowledgeable about PubMatic's services.

Asked very standard questions like how did you hear about PubMatic? Why did you leave your last 3 jobs? What kind of environment do you perform best in? If there was a problem or something went wrong with your client, what would you do? Describe the best supervisor you ever had?

Interview Question – Describe PubMatic's platform and what benefits does it provide a company?   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
Redwood City, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Pubmatic.

Interview Details – Recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn for an opportunity that matched my background.

Did an initial screen for 30 minutes that dived into my revenue goals, process of how to prospect, whether I like to develop new territories or service existing ones, and other related questions like how my role contributed to my current company's goals, etc.

It was a really in-depth recruiter screen and I felt like I was really being heard for who I was and what I could bring to the table. Got me more interested in them! Most recruiters just want to make sure you can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Recruiter let me know that a coordinator would reach out with next steps after I completed a personality survey.

Few days later I had a call with the hiring manager, which was also detailed and insightful about the opportunity and company culture.

I have to admit I initially took the call because I was somewhat interested to learn more but as the process progressed, I became increasingly interested.

After that, I had to wait to hear back from them as they were talking to other candidates.

Then I was invited to come into the offices and meet the team.

This was a very extensive interview process that had me on a whiteboard explaining the whole ad serving process.

As I met the team, I became more and more interested in Pubmatic. Everyone was great and seemed happy to be there - that their role was contributing to the company.

I had a c level interview a few days later and shortly after got an offer that I accepted!

Interview Question – Explaining the whole ad serving process; case question how an architectural change would affect DSP spend.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated with my recruiter. Advice - be transparent about what you need to earn to live. Their recruiting team is your advocate

I Choose Not to Disclose This Interview

I Choose Not to Disclose This
Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Pubmatic.

Interview Details – Kept dangling an offer for months..never came into fruition, the recruiting team needs to do a better job of communication and being forth right with candidates, other wise outlets like Glassdoor will be filled with bad candidate experiences.

Interview Question – It wasnt the questions or the interview process that was difficult, it was the candidate experience and most likely the immature recruiting team that made this a bad experience   Answer Question

Sales Interview

Sales
Redwood City, CA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Pubmatic in April 2012.

Interview Details – too many interviews. i must have had 9! took way too long

Negotiation Details – no negotiation was needed

Talent Acquisition Manager Interview

Talent Acquisition Manager
London, England (UK)

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Pubmatic in January 2014.

Interview Details – Long but thorough process.
I had 3 telephone interviews with managers and peers in the USA, followed (some time later) by 3 face to face meetings in the UK. The interviews were all managed well, with all interviewers being having in depth knowledge and able to answer any questions I had.

Interview Question – Explain your understanding of Pubmatic and what we do (its a pretty complex system for someone not in Adtech!)   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was informed an offer would be coming, however, it then took a week for paper work (US to UK).
The recruiter seemed genuine and passionate about the company and me joining, she did a great job of exciting me and ensuring I choose Pubmatic over other offers.

Senior Engineer Interview

Senior Engineer
Pune (India)

I applied through a recruiter and interviewed at Pubmatic.

Interview Details – HR was very cooperative.
Good planning.
Interviews are taken by a team of people. There are multiple interviews in a day.
Questions are based on logic. Nothing very complicated.
Some of the questions were: how would you design an a archival system, an index for an archival system, e-mail exchange and such.
One of the interviewers (a junior person) has very poor knowledge of the question asked and was doubting the answer given. It becomes difficult to convince such a interviewer that he is wrong.

Interview Question – Trying to design a system that is not related to work experience.
E.g. Asking a skilled rocket science mechanical engineer to enumerate, time, people, quantity of Iron required to build a ship. Often the skilled engineer has sound basics and possesses the ability to understand and figure out what it takes to build a ship but he may not know of that information off-hand during the interview.
  View Answer

Flag Interview  |  Add Employer Response

Worked for Pubmatic? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pubmatic interview questions and advice. All 15 interview reviews posted anonymously by Pubmatic employees and interview candidates.