Puget Sound Naval Shipyard

Updated Sep 3, 2014

1.5

Physical Science Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bremerton, WA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in July 2014.

I applied through the usajobs.gov website, and was contacted by phone about a month later to set up an interview. Not until the actual interview did I have any way of finding out that the first 6 months of the position is paid training in Virginia, so I think it's important for anyone considering the more recent job posting for Physical Science Technicians to know this in advance if heavy/long-term travel is an issue for them. I'm pretty sure they even said they wanted people to be available to move around to their other bases in San Diego and Japan and such once the main position started.

Otherwise, the content of the interview itself was very straightforward and I think they'll make an attempt to hire anyone who is able to communicate in English because they have so many openings but it's such a bad job by comparison to what the ultra generic job title might initially lead applicants to believe. (After learning more about it from the interview, it should really just be "nuclear waste cleanup person with a college education").

There were a lot of follow up questions when I started talking about a technical project I had worked on in school. Try to think of lots and lots of examples beforehand about whatever item on your resume you start to bring up. Also, there were multiple questions about conflict resolution, so try to think of good examples of this from multiple past experiences.

About a month after the interview, I received a job offer by email, then declined by not submitting any documents within three days as required, then still got all sorts of calls and such for the next few weeks by people trying to verify I was registered for selective service or had ordered official transcripts or whatever.

Interview Questions
    • Unexpectedly asked more questions about my customer service work experience than my technical projects and education that dominated my resume   Answer Question

Entry-level Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

Toured the facility as a student while doing my senior project. Went to the hiring session on campus. HR manager was a pleasant gentleman, however, it's not the place to be if you want to do research work. Great benefits & an opportunity to serve the country, however, the starting pay was not respectable to the level of engineering expertise.

Engineer Interview

I applied through a staffing agency – interviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard.

They flew me out there, that was pretty cool. It was an 8 hour interview of complete lies, that was not so cool. It was great to see the aircraft carries and the submarines. Hiring takes awhile because it is a government job

Interview Questions
    • They did not ask it which is not surprising because they are awful   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in October 2012.

Recruiters came to a job fair at my college. After speaking with them for few minutes they asked if I would like an interview the next day. I said sure.

Interview was very basic. There were two people conducting the interview. Most questions had to do with personality profiling. Interview lasted about thirty minutes.

About a month later someone from one of the specific departments called me and offered a job. Normally you go up for a site visit first, but I guess they had to decide quickly and didn't have time for a visit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell us what you learned in (fill in the blank) class.?   Answer Question
    Pay is based on GS scale so there is no negotiating. They did offer a hiring bonus.

Nuclear Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bremerton, WA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in December 2008.

Had a 1:1 interview at my school campus. Basic questions, nothing hard. Then I got a call for a site visit, which was more like a tour, with lunch with the branch head, and a lot of presentations. The site visit lasted a full day, about 8 hours. After accepting be ready to do a lot of paperwork for security clearances, and also be ready to pay upfront for moving expenses because they pay you back AFTER you have moved.

Interview Questions
    • What experience do you bring to the shipyard that is applicable?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bremerton, WA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in December 2007.

I met with recruiters at my college then was called into the shipyard where I was wine and dined for a weekend with a interview on a monday which was two people being interviewed over lunch with the manager. It seemed that every person that was interviewed got offered a job. there was no technical questions asked it was more about what we wanted to do.

Interview Questions
    They gave me 3 weeks to respond to the job offer.

Mechanic Interview

The interview process is lengthy. Mine took roughly 6 months from the time I submitted my resume at a job fair to being offered the position. There is very little commentary on the status of your application in between. The .com link for usajobs is terribly managed which didnt help the process...

Interview Questions
    • The questions were extremely simple. The basic are you good at communicating? Are you a team player?   Answer Question