Purdue University Graduate Research Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.5

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I applied and was awarded an offer through the department I applied to. After the offer, there was a "retreat" weekend where you were flown to Purdue and talked with professors, grad students, staff, etc.

Interview Questions

• Describe how your research goals fit in with the program.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Purdue University

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

Had submitted application for PhD. The professor who interviewed me had already emailed me saying that he was very impressed with my profile, and wanted to have a short conversation to discuss my interests. The interview was more about how interested I was about working in his group, rather than to check if I met his requirements. The interview was satisfying, and I was offered admission and a university fellowship a couple of days later.

Interview Questions

• A couple of basic technical questions pertaining to previous research experience   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

I just got the email and interview in person. I just showed my published data. the boss looks he likes that. end of interview, I asked the result whether I got that position or not, he answered directly, probably ok

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Purdue University.

Interview

I interviewed with 8 different Professors. We mostly discussed their research plans, and very little information was forthcoming from most Professors on the role they expected of me.

Negotiation

Not much scope to negotiate. I was sent a letter after the interview process by the graduate office, stating the details of my employment - I was offered a TA position for the first 2 semesters, contingent on joining a certain Professor. I was told that once I clear my area exams, my stipend would go up by $100 per month from the following semester.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

Found my adviser through the department and I contacted him prior to a graduate student visitation. Met with my adviser for an initial interview about my research interests and was offered a position in his group.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN).

Interview

I did not have an interview, just applied and got admission. It was quite easy since I had an external fellowship

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Interview

There is no interview. I just submit my graduate school application. And a few month later, I received an offer letter.

Interview Questions

• Life is a little bit boring there. And the restaurants around campus are really bad.   Answer Question

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview

I had a phone interview with my current adviser and we basically went through all the projects listed on my CV.

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Purdue University in August 2011.

Interview

One on one. Statement of interest. Go over background. Identify common goals and potential research projects. Talk about funding and availability. Good experience overall. Informal setting. Sometimes professors need to be chased down after classes.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Purdue University (West Lafayette, IN) in August 2010.

Interview

Very informal was my experience. I asked for a job and I got a job.

Interview Questions

• Are you interested in data analysis.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None. At the time it was more than I felt I deserved.