Purdue University

Average Difficulty
9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview Details – I interviewed with 8 different Professors. We mostly discussed their research plans, and very little information was forthcoming from most Professors on the role they expected of me.

Negotiation Details – Not much scope to negotiate. I was sent a letter after the interview process by the graduate office, stating the details of my employment - I was offered a TA position for the first 2 semesters, contingent on joining a certain Professor. I was told that once I clear my area exams, my stipend would go up by $100 per month from the following semester.

Interviewed at Purdue University

Interview Details – Found my adviser through the department and I contacted him prior to a graduate student visitation. Met with my adviser for an initial interview about my research interests and was offered a position in his group.

Interview Question – Why I wanted to work in my research area.   Answer Question

West Lafayette, IN

I applied through other source and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview Details – I did not have an interview, just applied and got admission. It was quite easy since I had an external fellowship

Interviewed at Purdue University

Interview Details – There is no interview. I just submit my graduate school application. And a few month later, I received an offer letter.

Interview Question – Life is a little bit boring there. And the restaurants around campus are really bad.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

West Lafayette, IN

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Purdue University in August 2010.

Interview Details – Very informal was my experience. I asked for a job and I got a job.

Interview Question – Are you interested in data analysis.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None. At the time it was more than I felt I deserved.

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Purdue University.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview with my current adviser and we basically went through all the projects listed on my CV.

Interview Question – What's your strength and your drawbacks?   Answer Question

West Lafayette, IN

The process took a day - interviewed at Purdue University in May 2010.

Interview Details – My "interview" was very informal. Once I was accepted to the graduate school, a professor saw my application and contacted me because he had a research position opening. We discussed my interests and abilities over the phone briefly (though he already knew these because he had my graduate application) and then he described his research. He offered me the position at the end of our hour long conversation. I accepted the position about 1 week later.

Interview Question – What are your career plans?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I asked him for slightly more money and he agreed.

West Lafayette, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Purdue University in July 2008.

Interview Details – The Interview was directly conducted by a panel of two graduate students and a professor, it was almost entirely technical with a few questions about research interests and future plans. Special emphasis on problem solving skills and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time. Previous projects were the highlight of the interview, please remember that you should mention all previous projects not just the ones you think are important.

Interview Question – Describe the advantages/ disadvantages of using a non standard software such as Minitab to conduct statistical analysis.   View Answer

Graduate Research Assistant

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Purdue University in May 2008.

Interview Details – The interviewing is informal. Mostly the hiring is based on the research performance and the potential to do further research.

Interview Question – What are your current area of interest?   Answer Question

Worked for Purdue University? Contribute to the Community!