Purdue University

Very Difficult Interview

Business Manager Interview

Business Manager
Hammond, IN

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Purdue University in May 2009.

Interview Details – The University's Human Rescource Department notified me that I had been selected for an initial telephone interview. The questions were very generic asking if I liked to work with people, if I liked to work with numbers, explaining the hours, and salary. Next, I received a telephone call for a panel interview on campus. This was a joke. The panel members were very smug and seemed to look down on me. I finally realized why, they felt threatened.... I later found out through a contact in their Human Resource area that my qualifications exceeded most of the qualifications of those interviewing me. I have a CPA with prior University experience. Although the job posting required prior accounting experience, not one accounting question was asked of me. The questions were more of conflict resolution and performance problems regarding those I would supervise.
This leads me to believe they really need a "referee" not a Business Manager.......not interested...playground stuff...

Interview Questions

• How would you go about getting an employee to show up for work on time or at all?   View Answer
  • What incentives would you use to get an employee to complete a project?   View Answer

Very Difficult Interview

Engineering Interview

Engineering
West Lafayette, IN

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Purdue University in May 2010.

Interview Details – one whole day interview from morning to late afternoon, including an about one-hour presentation, 1:1 interviews with about 6-7 lab scientists and managers.

Interview Questions

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Graduate Research Assistant
West Lafayette, IN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Purdue University in July 2008.

Interview Details – The Interview was directly conducted by a panel of two graduate students and a professor, it was almost entirely technical with a few questions about research interests and future plans. Special emphasis on problem solving skills and the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time. Previous projects were the highlight of the interview, please remember that you should mention all previous projects not just the ones you think are important.

Interview Question – Describe the advantages/ disadvantages of using a non standard software such as Minitab to conduct statistical analysis.   View Answer

Applications Lead Interview

Applications Lead
Hammond, IN

The process took a day - interviewed at Purdue University in May 2011.

Interview Details – I was contacted by the department secretary and scheduled an interview. The interview consisted of the whole department assembled in a conference room and they went in order where each person asked one behaviorial question. No opportunity for small talk or questions about items on my resume. I was told that was the only step, they had a few more candidates to interview and would get back to me late next week. I followed-up every 2-3 weeks and each time was told they were close. Finally after 8 weeks, I was sent a rejection Email.

Interview Question – Describe a situation when a major project was late and how was it received.   View Answer

Compliance Administrator Interview

Compliance Administrator
West Lafayette, IN

The process took 2 days - interviewed at Purdue University in October 2011.

Interview Details – Showed up the night before the Interview and stayed at the University hotel (very nice) and the interview started at 8am the next day. The Interview lasted until 4pm and I met/interviewed with 6 different groups of people, students, faculty, administrators, etc. The interview went well with the exception of lack of experience for the position.

Interview Question – How would you react to ________ situation. (Having nothing to do with the position)   View Answer

Resident Assistant Interview

Resident Assistant
West Lafayette, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Purdue University in February 2010.

Interview Details – This is an intense process. You have a two on one interview, usually with a current RA and an administrator. If they like you, then you go to a group interview where they make you do activities and they see how well you play with others. Finally there is a draft where the halls all get together and choose who they want on their staff.

Interview Question – They ask all sorts of situational questions about how you would deal with issues on the floor and they also ask about your leadership style.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not really applicable.

Associate Director Interview

Associate Director
Lafayette, IN

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Purdue University in January 2011.

Interview Details – Phone screen, followed by day long multiple face to face interviews with varying individuals in the department. Had to prepare a presentation on a specific program and my ideas to improve the situation.

Interview Question – Most difficult was a question regarding goals for the department. Difficult only because at the time the only research I had done online and did not paint an accurate picture of what the current issues with the department were.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Accepted the offer, and negociated the vacation.

Assistant Professor Interview

Assistant Professor
West Lafayette, IN

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Purdue University in October 2010.

Interview Details – Following is the typical steps:
1.Phone interview first.
2, lecture
3, panel review. group interview
4. go home
5. wait their desition
6 got offer
7. not so much negotiation space.

Interview Question – What is your purpose of life   Answer Question

Program Manager Afghanistan - International Programs In Agriculture Interview

Program Manager Afghanistan - International Programs In Agriculture
West Lafayette, IN

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Purdue University in August 2011.

Interview Details – The interview process was very long. The first interview was over the phone with the 2 department heads. Then I went in for an in person interview that extended to talking with everyone that worked in the department. It lasted for 5 hours. It was a very friendly staff, but seriously overworked. I did get all of my questions answered about the position and the risks involved. The head of the department would not talk compensation until after they had talked to 3 of my work references. I have only worked at 1 company for 9 years and could not use them so coming up with 3 references that they were happy with was very difficult. After it was all done, the salary was not enough any way and I was glad that I did not jeopardize my current position to give them a reference there. They were extremely pushy about that and not willing to work around it. For the risks and work load involved, the salary was not enough.

Interview Question – What is your current salary?   View Answer

Facility Attendant Interview

Facility Attendant
West Lafayette, IN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Purdue University in February 2013.

Interview Details – 1. What's your leadership style. 2. Do you have any past working experience in the related area. 3. What's your teamwork spirit. 4. Why do you think you are competent of working here. 5. What's the most important quality you nee to work here. 6. Ask a question to the interviewers

Interview Question – Ask the interviewer a question.   Answer Question

Worked for Purdue University? Contribute to the Community!