Pure Storage

3.8

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in November 2014.

They will first ask you to take an online test. You need to be accurate there.
    I guess one ques they ask is if one can represent a floating point num exactly. Do brush up computer arch about this. No strange ques there.

Then they call you for 2 rounds of on-site interview (similar ques as posted by others).
    Then they call for another 4-5 rounds of on-site interview (again same old buddy bitmap ques).

Then they will go quite for couple of days and finally if you reach out to them, they will say "it was a difficult decision... you are great... but maybe later".

Based on my interview, I felt that these guys do not know whom they want to hire. They are just playing dice.
    One of the interviewer was getting some kind of sadistic pleasure by asking you to improve the structure of the code (if else cases).

Interview Questions
    • Useless questions. They should definitely change their ques now. Everyone knows what they are asking.   Answer Question

Marketing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online and the process took two weeks total. I received an email from the hiring manager to set up a time for a phone interview. We spoke about a week later and I felt we had a great conversation. She gave me background about herself and the company, and asked mostly about my work experience. Although I did not move forward in the process, it was a great interview experience. The hiring manager was really nice and friendly and I enjoyed speaking with her.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pure Storage in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter in a month or so. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter. Unlike other candidates mentioned, I did not have an online test and was invited to have the first technical phone screen which I passed. Then there were 2 more phone screens that went successfully, and finally, I was invited to on-site interview in the company's HQ in Mountain View, CA. The company paid for my flights and everyone I communicated with was very nice and friendly. I really enjoyed the interview process.

The first thing I was asked to do in the office was to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Then I was met by the recruiter who showed me the office. The office was very nice and I liked it a lot. All the interviews were in the same room with big white board on the wall. I had 5 technical interviews as well as lunch "interview", interview with the manager of the team I was interviewed for and a closing interview with the recruiter.

The questions were not really that hard and I think I got solutions for most of them (maybe not the most effective solutions though). Everyone seemed to be very smart, proud and happy to work for the company. At the same time they were all kind and friendly. They tried to help me with some of the most difficult questions and finally explained the solution if I did not get it myself.

The manager of the team walked me through the office showing working places, kitchen, playing room, bicycle parking room. He told me about the company's rules and policies. For me it was like to be on another planet: no dress code, no time sheeting, no time clocking, no vacation policy, free food and drinks, a lot of other perks, possibility to choose hardware and operating system to work on. People are trusted there a lot. So almost everything is allowed, but the work must be done :)

During closing interview with the recruiter I was told that I might send them the code with better solutions to the problems I was asked during the interviews as a follow up. I sent the code for 2 problems.

Although, I did not get an offer, I feel this is exactly the company I would really want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot share the question due to a non-disclosure agreement   Answer Question

Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in September 2014.

A current employee referred me. From there, I was contacted by an internal recruiter who ask me when I'd be available for a phone interview with the hiring manager. After providing my availability, the recruiter scheduled the interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager and I spoke for about half an hour to go over my qualifications, and told me the recruiter would get back to me about setting up an onsite interview.

The recruiter reached out to me again to ask my availability for an onsite interview. Once the time was determined, the recruiter sent me an e-mail with all the details including that it would take about three hours and also where to part in downtown Mountain View. Once I arrived, I signed an NDA and was escorted to another floor by the recruiter and into a conference room.

Five different team members from cross-functional disciplines interviewed me for about thirty minutes each. There weren't any trick questions, but each question was thought provoking. In addition to asking how I would go about performing certain duties, I also got the strong sense that each person wanted to know how I would fit into their culture. Each team member's passion was evident. I could tell it was a special place to work.

After the fifth person, the recruiter came in to offer me lunch. After grabbing some food, I was escorted back to the conference room to eat my lunch. The last interviewer was the hiring manager. The hiring manager didn't have any additional questions, but simply explained that feedback would be taken from each person who interviewed me. The hiring manager pointed out that there were still additional candidates to be interviewed. The hiring manager impressed me, and I'm 100% confident that Purse Storage will succeed wildly.

The interview process was set up well and handled well.

Interview Questions
    • Would having a nerf dart fired at you distract you from doing your work?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in August 2014.

Like others have mentioned the interview process begins with an online test. The test consisted of 10 multiple choice questions focused on computer science concepts and 2 programming challenges. The code for the programming challenge can be compiled and executed on the test website itself and one can figure out whether one's solution is correct. The entire test has to be completed within an hour. I actually found the test reasonably challenging, but not too tough or impossible to crack.

After clearing the online test the recruiter promptly invited me onsite for 3 rounds of technical interviews. Each 1 hour interview focusses on a single question and several iterations to optimize the solution as much as possible. Many other reviewers have already posted the questions, I was asked the same ones, so I will not repeat them. Although the theme of the questions is known, the specific details are unknown and are quite challenging. I managed to clear the first 3 rounds and was invited onsite again for another 2 rounds of technical interviews. After this point I was notified that they were not going to make me an offer. I was really bummed because in my assessment the interviewers seemed pleased with my answers and I don't know what I could have done better.

Overall the interview process was not very typical like other tech companies. I felt that the interviewers were so focussed on the problem that there was little opportunity for casual conversation. This meant that they didn't take any interest in knowing about me as a person, my personality, etc. Neither did I get a good chance to get a feel of how it would be to work with them.

All in all it was a mixed experience. I thought it would be an interesting place to work if they gave me an offer. But I landed up getting a better offer elsewhere and am very satisfied in the end.

Interview Questions
    • A very vague question about designing a configuring registry in which apps could save and retrieve specific key/value pair information. It was very hard to judge what the interviewer expected with such an open ended question.   Answer Question

Senior Technical Writer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Pure Storage in August 2014.

I met with five members of the engineering staff, one technical writer, and the recruiter. The process took approximately 5.5 hours. Each person met with me for approximately an hour. The questions typically went from a review of my previous experience to questions about how I would go about performing the job. The length of the interview session was exhausting but fairly typical of what I've seen at other tech companies.

Interview Questions
    • I was given a writing test. The test included three poorly organized technical writing passages that I was instructed to rewrite. Great idea to add this and something I have never seen in a technical writing interview. Typically you're just asked for samples and those are used to evaluate your ability as a writer.   View Answer
    Pure prides themselves on making an offer that is commensurate with your experience level and qualifications. Their People team does a pretty thorough job of researching the current market and making you an offer that is fair. I was pleased with my offer and did not negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in September 2013.

I got several interviews before receiving the offer. The first one is the online webpage interview and the 10 questions are very easy. I did not do very well yet, since I did that on 2 am before I sleep. But they let me pass. Forgot the questions but if you know how computers work you should pass them easily. Then two telephone interviews, one about C++ programming -- the program they show me was simple but the questions are very tough, you have to know quite a lot of details of the language. I will recommend reading Inside C++ Object Model before the interview. The other one is programming, with no difficulty, I can do that when I was in high school.

Then I got the onsite. The HR will manage everything, you only tell them when you are available. Also I have signed not telling the interview details so I will just give some side-information about the problem. Hope it does not conflict with the policy. The first interview was done by the CTO and was about something related with binary tree, if you are familiar with the data structure you will be fine. Knowledge of heap would be also used. But still there are nasty pitfalls. The second interview is related with big O-notation, easy to go if you know basic data structures like array, stack and link-list, also think a little harder; after that, a thread-race problem was tested. Just remember the concept of "atomic operation" and everything would be straightforward. I was then offered a free lunch with the person who referred me. Later, the 3rd person tested me some software design issues. I suck at that but the interviewee behaved like a tutor, so I was quite appreciate for his friendly and also surprised he let me pass. Finally, the last interview was involved with some math issue and optimizations exploiting the discrete nature of computer mathematics. I was too tired and did not do that very well, requested a few hints. Anyway they almost immediately gave me the offer after that, and the HR took me around to see different departments.

Everyone is friendly and helpful, and I can smell they are really tech experts. Also the company environment is excellent and the salary is pretty good. So I am looking forward to working there. The only problem is the company is located in part of a building and it took me some time to find the entrance until a kind guy showed me the way. The boss should set some obvious signs to guide newcomers, it is not involved with drugs or other illegal stuffs so why not make a big ad? :D

Interview Questions
    • Signed not leaking questions. But if you prepare everything I mentioned in the process, you should be fine.   Answer Question
    Before you talk with them, make sure you know what stocks means. I am surprised they assume me know a lot on that, and have to tell them I do not understand what they are talking at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage.

Was contacted by HR about an opening. She seemed really enthusiastic and friendly, and I'd read great things about the company, so I decided to interview. The phone screen went really well; the interviewer was great and I answered the questions well. The following week, I went to their office to interview. The work place seemed cool. Something about the feel of being in an innovative startup.

And then everything went downhill. The first interviewer asked me the most bizarre questions. It wasn't that they were hard, they just seemed stupid and pointless. He also grilled me with some follow up questions, which were equally stupid. To make it worse, the entire time, he had a condescending tone. Throughout the interview, I just wanted to get out of that room. He also claimed some things about standard C that weren't true.

The second interviewer was better. The questions he asked were actually not bad. But he did rush me a little, I wish he would just sit back and leave me be.

All in all, the first interviewer made this one of the worst interviews ever. They stopped interviewing me after the second round. They said I didn't have what they were looking for. What the company needs to realize that they don't have what most qualified candidates are looking for in an interview either: a good experience.

Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in May 2013.

I was probably most surprised that it wasn't just other engineers and hiring managers meeting with me and interviewing me. I met a lot of people from all different areas in the company. Company culture is very important here, and everyone is very serious about ensuring it stays a great place to work.

Interview Questions
    • Technical questions were relevant to the position I was applying for, and I felt they were straight forward enough. I think there was a great focus on why I wanted to work here, and how I felt the culture would fit me and vice versa.   View Answers (3)
    Pure is very generous, and wants to make sure they get the best employees. I would suggest you go in knowing what you are worth and what you want, and asking for it.

Director of Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Pure Storage in May 2013.

Met with great team except for Director of HW Engineering. That person does not understand that the company needs to convince people to join as much as the candidates need to show motivation if not more. Person came across as borderline rude, with little vision or low to no interviewing skills. Proceeded with some semi technical questions about MTBF and some other irrelevant acronyms. Had some very unusual ideas about program management with what would be consider a sure path to failure. It is rare these days to meet people with such attitudes and egos who think they know better than you because they consider themselves in positions of power.

Interview Questions
    • None. Straight forward questions, just need to brush up on useless MTBF and other acronyms used at Pure Storage (non industry standard).   Answer Question