Pure Storage Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews

3 interviews

4.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Software Engineer Interview

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4 months - interviewed at Pure Storage in November 2012.

I was really impressed by the speed of response from everyone at Pure, including the CEO. Everything was clearly explained to me about the process. After taking the online test and phone screen, I was invited to a face-to-face interview in Mountain View.
Having spent the last few years outside software engineering, I was concerned that I might suffer during the interviews.

However I was pleased to learn that the sorts of problems that I was given were of a general nature and the process was as much about the journey towards the solution than the solution itself. All interviews involved writing on the whiteboard and I thoroughly recommend trying to explain your thoughts, even when you haven't yet worked out what to write on the board.

I met 3 engineers and the CTO. Each interview was thought-provoking in its own way and I enjoyed the process, even though I was exhausted at the end of the day, and even with a lunch break with 2 more engineers at a local restaurant.

At the end of the face-to-face interviews I didn't get the job there and then, but with a bit of perseverance I got accepted!

Interview Questions
  • From glassdoor I knew that there was a circle question and I had a stab at writing a program prior to the interview. That didn't really help me as the question was slightly different and again it was really about the process of arriving at the right answer rather than writing out a solution.
    All the other questions were unexpected and thought-provoking. I think the most difficult was the buddy-bitmap problem, mainly because it has so many facets. This is also the CTO's pet problem and it left me drained by the end of it. I was tired and by the end of it I could not think straight.
      Answer Question
I was very happy with the offer I got and I didn't negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Pure Storage

Anonymous Employee  in  San Jose, CA
    Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at Pure Storage in August 2010.

Like another reviewer posted, I had the phone interview with C++. This was one of the most difficult C++ interview questions I had and I nailed it. So i was asked to come onsite interview. My first interview was a guy who looked fresh out of school and he started out with a graphics questions. It was pretty obvious that he did some graphics stuff before. I used some knowledge from my school algebra memories. But our dude here wont understand that I am trying to solve a problem I am not used to and grilled me for 1.5 hours. I solved most of the problems and then I got stuck in trying to figure out how to find the square root by integer calculations. And then I was walked out. I wanted to scream. I didnt see in the job description the need to be an expert in graphics.

I had never ever had a worse experience than this. I think the company have some wannabes who are trying hard to make the hiring process weird.

Interview Questions

Senior Software Engineer Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at Pure Storage in February 2011.

I got this interview through a recruiter.

This is the online test quiz that I was given by Pure Storage before the phone interview.

After completing this interview I had a phone interview with this company. The phone interview content is already on glassdoor.com described by another person that interviewed for this company.

Even though I thought I did well on the phone interview I was not offered an on-site interview.

Worked for Pure Storage? Contribute to the Community!