Pure Storage Software Engineer Interview Questions

3.9

17 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Pure Storage.

Applied for an opening through their website. A recruiter contacted me immediately with a link to a 1 hour programming test. The test had 10-12 questions ranging from coding one function of deleting a node from a linked list to multiple choice questions which was not very tough to crack if you are a CS major. Cleared the online test after which I was called for a onsite interview which was of 2 hours. There were two interviews and the questions were not very tough. One interview was about coming up with a solution for a synchronization problem similar to consumer-producer problem. Other interview asked questions about representing of virtual functions of a C++ object in memory.

Other Interview Reviews for Pure Storage

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage.

There were 3 rounds. First is online test, 10 basic problems and 2 coding. And then since I was not far away from the company, I got an onsite interview. I met two engineers and each one gave me a coding problem, classic pure interview problems: draw a circle and bitmap. The engineers are nice and let me pass. And they asked me to have another onsite before the offer. The question a about synchronization and it took me too long to finally figure it out. And then the recruiter talked to me asked me about why I chose pure and how I feel about the process. But I didn't get the offer at the end.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage.

I was contacted by them during the career fair and had an interview on campus. The interview process was alright in hindsight (the normal questions one might expect given the technological area they are in). The process was quick and the recruiters were very friendly and willing to clarify any doubts I had.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage in September 2013.

I got several interviews before receiving the offer. The first one is the online webpage interview and the 10 questions are very easy. I did not do very well yet, since I did that on 2 am before I sleep. But they let me pass. Forgot the questions but if you know how computers work you should pass them easily. Then two telephone interviews, one about C++ programming -- the program they show me was simple but the questions are very tough, you have to know quite a lot of details of the language. I will recommend reading Inside C++ Object Model before the interview. The other one is programming, with no difficulty, I can do that when I was in high school.

Then I got the onsite. The HR will manage everything, you only tell them when you are available. Also I have signed not telling the interview details so I will just give some side-information about the problem. Hope it does not conflict with the policy. The first interview was done by the CTO and was about something related with binary tree, if you are familiar with the data structure you will be fine. Knowledge of heap would be also used. But still there are nasty pitfalls. The second interview is related with big O-notation, easy to go if you know basic data structures like array, stack and link-list, also think a little harder; after that, a thread-race problem was tested. Just remember the concept of "atomic operation" and everything would be straightforward. I was then offered a free lunch with the person who referred me. Later, the 3rd person tested me some software design issues. I suck at that but the interviewee behaved like a tutor, so I was quite appreciate for his friendly and also surprised he let me pass. Finally, the last interview was involved with some math issue and optimizations exploiting the discrete nature of computer mathematics. I was too tired and did not do that very well, requested a few hints. Anyway they almost immediately gave me the offer after that, and the HR took me around to see different departments.

Everyone is friendly and helpful, and I can smell they are really tech experts. Also the company environment is excellent and the salary is pretty good. So I am looking forward to working there. The only problem is the company is located in part of a building and it took me some time to find the entrance until a kind guy showed me the way. The boss should set some obvious signs to guide newcomers, it is not involved with drugs or other illegal stuffs so why not make a big ad? :D

Interview Questions
    • Signed not leaking questions. But if you prepare everything I mentioned in the process, you should be fine.   Answer Question
    Before you talk with them, make sure you know what stocks means. I am surprised they assume me know a lot on that, and have to tell them I do not understand what they are talking at all.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage.

Was contacted by HR about an opening. She seemed really enthusiastic and friendly, and I'd read great things about the company, so I decided to interview. The phone screen went really well; the interviewer was great and I answered the questions well. The following week, I went to their office to interview. The work place seemed cool. Something about the feel of being in an innovative startup.

And then everything went downhill. The first interviewer asked me the most bizarre questions. It wasn't that they were hard, they just seemed stupid and pointless. He also grilled me with some follow up questions, which were equally stupid. To make it worse, the entire time, he had a condescending tone. Throughout the interview, I just wanted to get out of that room. He also claimed some things about standard C that weren't true.

The second interviewer was better. The questions he asked were actually not bad. But he did rush me a little, I wish he would just sit back and leave me be.

All in all, the first interviewer made this one of the worst interviews ever. They stopped interviewing me after the second round. They said I didn't have what they were looking for. What the company needs to realize that they don't have what most qualified candidates are looking for in an interview either: a good experience.

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage in June 2013.

1. Contact by a HR with job openning information.
    2. On-line test (An algorithm problem)
    3. Phone Screen, asked about virtual function and some other C++ questions

Interview Questions
    • How is a object with virtual function stored in the memory   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Francisco, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

I applied online - interviewed at Pure Storage in April 2013.

I passed the online test which was fairly easy. The HR is unresponsive. The fact that I am out of US and require a H1B might have contributed to the unresponsiveness. A piece of code was sent and I had to explain it to the interviewer. It had to do with regard to virtual memory management. I was comfortable with the interviewer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage in December 2012.

I was initially contacted by a recruiter who asked if I'd be interested in working at Pure. I was wary about moving from Madison, WI to the Bay Area; I'd been in Madison for years and intended (at the time) to stay there. When the recruiter heard I was interviewing at Google (hopefully for the Madison, WI office) he convinced me to interview at Pure as well while I was in the Bay Area. He described the interview process: an online quiz, a phone screen, and an afternoon of in-person interviews. It's probably worth mentioning that, since I had just finished my degree, Pure would be the first interview I had done in more than a decade. Since my goal at the time was Google, though, I wasn't worried; I think that helped quite a bit.

Before I go into detail, a quick summary. I found the interviews harder but more interesting than the other companies I spoke with; Google in particular to name-drop. There was less "do you have searches memorized" and more "how would you handle this situation". Very nice to see.

The online quiz was interesting for its breadth; it asked questions about systems, compilers, and architecture. Not to go into painful detail, but it should be straightforward for anyone with a good grounding in computer science (not necessarily just programming). For example, can a CPU correctly represent 1/10 as a floating point value, or is there inherent rounding error?

The phone screen was somewhat stressful since it touched on an area that I wasn't expert in - virtual methods and handling multiple inheritance. Multiple other reviews have already gone over the questions, so I won't rehash them again. My advice is to think about whether casting a pointer (from child class to parent class) keeps its value the same or not; this isn't something people normally think about but will get you on the right track. One amusing note - I passed the interview, but the interviewer ended with "I think we can end here". I thought I'd washed out - and at the phone screen! Then he went on to say he was looking forward to meeting me in person.

The in-person interview came the afternoon after a long morning of travel, but the folks at Pure were very helpful in working out my schedule - with multiple plane delays. My first session was with the CTO and his infamous buddy bitmap question. I didn't find it that bad; while he was hard to read and not exactly friendly, he's no worse than my adviser in grad school was. I was used to not having my hand held, after all. More advice: think about corner cases, how you can push information forward through an algorithm to avoid having to calculate it again, and understand the costs of executing code at an assembler/hardware level.

The remaining interviewers were a lot less stressful, and I was happy to see that they were focusing less on algorithms (I got enough 'implement a DFS!' the next day at Google) and more about underlying knowledge (how can you can screwed by concurrency) and the ability to work with people. I ended up in a very nice extensibility vs. security discussion that arose from co-designing a callback interface.

Overall I found the interview much more interesting than any of the others I had later. I was a little concerned about moving my family to the Bay Area and joining a startup, but the folks at Pure worked with me to allay those concerns.

I was called two days later (at the airport) by the CTO to let me know they were planning on making me an offer, and were very flexible in waiting until I had heard back from the other companies I interviewed with (which took a lot longer).

Interview Questions
    • The infamous buddy bitmap question. Specifically, the ability to whiteboard some code and then determine whether it works or not given a number of boundary cases and other corner conditions.   View Answers (2)
    I found that honesty worked very well - I was concerned about both the cost of moving from Madison to the Bay Area (which ended up being a significant expense) and the lack of a Mountain View-capable emergency fund. They worked well to give me a sufficient signing bonus to cover both.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage in August 2012.

Contacted by recruiter. Talked to founder to learn more about company. Did on-line quiz, then phone screen, then internal interview.

Unlike many other interviews, where you spend a lot of time chatting about what you did and what you'd like to do, etc. - this interview focused entirely on coding skills. It was refreshing though I'm glad I had some previous interviews at other companies to practice coding on a whiteboard.

I felt like everybody in the interviews was hoping I'd find the solution - nobody was rooting for me to fail (i.e. no ass-holes). They gave nudges when I invariably fell off track.

Take the time to check your work with examples -- it won't count against you. Wouldn't hurt to practice doing coding problems on a whiteboard at home.

The interview process is over-selective - Pure probably says no to candidates who would be valuable contributors.

Interview Questions
    • Tricky problem relating to figuring out the value of a counter in the presence of race conditions.   Answer Question
    The company was open to negotiating but didn't give much. Then again, I sent many signals indicating that I wanted the job. FWIW, company later upped compensation based on performance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mountain View, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Pure Storage in November 2012.

I was contacted by a head hunter, was impressed by the company and team background. Did an online test on computer science concepts, not very tricky but filters well, I suppose. Had a phone interview, then a sequence of interviews on site. I was treated very well during the entire process. I think that the interview questions were very good, not too tricky. You have to be a quite good experienced programmer to answer them correctly...

Interview Questions
    • I signed papers that prohibit me from posting about the interview questions   Answer Question

Worked for Pure Storage? Contribute to the Community!