Pure Storage

Updated Feb 26, 2015
Updated Feb 26, 2015

3.8

Software Engineer () Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage.

I applied at a job fair, then had an on campus interview the next day. After a few days I heard back inviting me to fly in to their main office to interview on site. The experience was very fun, we were given free meals while we were there as well as being shown around the offices, which was very fun. The intent was obviously to wow us with the company work atmosphere and amenities - and they succeeded. We had technical interviews as well as some more activities, and were given more free stuff.

Interview Questions
  • I was asked two questions, one I take to be a pretty famous interview question, and one that I have not since heard of. The interviewers were very nice and gave good hints to help them along, but the questions were very difficult.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Pure Storage

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Pure Storage.

Had phone call interview. They asked about how virtual functions work and what is the memory layout for a given class. It was my first interview so i wasn't good enaugh. It was a good experience anyway. Also the guy who made the interview had an indian accent, because my english is not perfect, it was another challange.

Interview Questions
    • Virtual functions and memory layout for a given class.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at Pure Storage in February 2015.

Got an email from the recruiter to take an online assesment .It is about an hour and asked questions about data structures .I thought I wrote well but got a reject mail.

Interview Questions
    • gave three requirements for a data structure like size of the data is unknown etc.choose the best data structure for those requirements .   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage.

Asked to take an online C test by a Pure recruiter. One coding question about linked lists. Several CS questions: which decimal number can be represented in binary, concurrency, grammer implementation, some simple math algorithms. First phone interviewer asked the c++ memory layout question. The second phone interviewer asked about "happy numbers". I thought I did well on both of them, but I was not asked for an onsite interview.

Interview Questions
    • I dont use c++. It took a while, but I got the memory layout question analogues to structs in C.   Answer Question

online assessment 2 coding problems and 10 questions in one hour
    1. remove all elements from a linkedlist that has the same value as the given value
    2.fix a bug of a code
    10 mutiple choice questions are really simple and have enough time to complete all of them

Software Engineer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in November 2014.

to be frank, I interviewed at Pure primarily as an escape route from my prior job, where I'd thoroughly burnt out after nearly 7.5 years. I wasn't particularly excited about working at another storage company down the peninsula (and commuting from SF like I'd done prior to my last job), but a couple of my former colleagues were there and their reference got me straight to an on-site interview.

but this on-site interview actually convinced me that this was exactly the kind of place I wanted and needed to be. the questions were very challenging -- I talked to four people and they each gave me one hard but doable problem. only for the last was I able to leverage any domain-specific knowledge (e.g. my 10+ years in SAN/NAS); the rest of the problems were really excellent questions getting at fundamental problems of optimization, concurrent programming, data structures/algorithms, and troubleshooting. I did well (they hired me, and I was told afterwards that no one had ever done as well on the domain-specific problem), but I had to work for it (I didn't already "know" the answers), and it felt great doing so -- I had the kind of back-and-forth dialog that you really want to see in an interview, b/c it gets to the heart of how you would interact with folks as colleagues.

knowing the bar is set so high -- and knowing I'd cleared it -- reassures me that I'm in the right place, and will be in the right place for the foreseeable future. I left my last job because I'd become "the smartest guy in the room," when I'd joined that organization specifically because I was so happy to work with so many people that were smarter than me.

Interview Questions
    • there was an excellent question on concurrent programming, critical sections, and reentrancy (the details of which I can't remember and wouldn't share if I could, honestly); I had just enough familiarity with the concepts to wing my way through it -- which actually makes for a way better interview than just nailing something b/c you've solved the exact problem before.   Answer Question
    the offer was very fair, and I'm not a haggler.

Software Engineering Interview

Met the company at a career fair and was given a coding exercise on site. After submitting it to them at the fair, I was contacted a day later and given another coding exercise through hackerrank.

Interview Questions
    • 1. Career fair exercise - Given an multi-threaded implementation of a stack, find the bugs in the code and complete the code for the pop operation.
      2. Online - 45 minutes for about 12 multiple choice questions and two coding questions.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Pure Storage in October 2014.

I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter in a month or so. I had an initial phone interview with the recruiter. Unlike other candidates mentioned, I did not have an online test and was invited to have the first technical phone screen which I passed. Then there were 2 more phone screens that went successfully, and finally, I was invited to on-site interview in the company's HQ in Mountain View, CA. The company paid for my flights and everyone I communicated with was very nice and friendly. I really enjoyed the interview process.

The first thing I was asked to do in the office was to sign a non-disclosure agreement. Then I was met by the recruiter who showed me the office. The office was very nice and I liked it a lot. All the interviews were in the same room with big white board on the wall. I had 5 technical interviews as well as lunch "interview", interview with the manager of the team I was interviewed for and a closing interview with the recruiter.

The questions were not really that hard and I think I got solutions for most of them (maybe not the most effective solutions though). Everyone seemed to be very smart, proud and happy to work for the company. At the same time they were all kind and friendly. They tried to help me with some of the most difficult questions and finally explained the solution if I did not get it myself.

The manager of the team walked me through the office showing working places, kitchen, playing room, bicycle parking room. He told me about the company's rules and policies. For me it was like to be on another planet: no dress code, no time sheeting, no time clocking, no vacation policy, free food and drinks, a lot of other perks, possibility to choose hardware and operating system to work on. People are trusted there a lot. So almost everything is allowed, but the work must be done :)

During closing interview with the recruiter I was told that I might send them the code with better solutions to the problems I was asked during the interviews as a follow up. I sent the code for 2 problems.

Although, I did not get an offer, I feel this is exactly the company I would really want to work for.

Interview Questions
    • Cannot share the question due to a non-disclosure agreement   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in October 2014.

I was invited for an onsite interview in MTV after passed an online test and phone interview. Typical Pure questions which are mentioned by other guys. After the onsite, HR told me they don't want to give me an offer.

Interview Questions
    • design a data structure that can retrieve specific key/value pair at const time complexity. The interviewer for this question is an indian guy. He is quite rule and gave some useless hints that made you feel more confused.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Mountain View, CA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Pure Storage in October 2014.

1 on campus round , 1 onsite round . The on campus round was about spin locks and threads. The onsite had 3 questions with 3 interviewers . One was how to draw a circle using pixel bits, one was a buddy bit map question and one was about data structures.One of the interviewers was busy with his cellphone and was hardly paying any attention to what I was coding the entire time in white board . He was not very intervative .