Putnam Associates Interview Questions & Reviews in Boston, MA

7 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burlington, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates in January 2014.

The first round was a basic character interview with a fairly straight forward market sizing question. The second round was in the office for a super day consisting of three thirty minute interviews, a meeting with a senior consultant and a question process with a senior partner.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advice a company to bring a new drug to market?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Round 1: 30-45 minute phone interview with Associate about background and reasons for interest in consulting, life science space and specifically Putnam. 15-20 minutes set aside for a market sizing case and questions.
    Round 2: All day on-site interview approximately 5.5-6 hours consisting of 5 45 minute interviews and an hour+ lunch. First three interviews include cases of which I had one market sizing question and two industry specific life science strategy cases. Lunch was with two Analysts at a local restaurant (low stress, more get to know you questions). Last two interviews are with Partners. The order and amount of time individuals are able to talk is subject to change as a result of scheudling conflicts.
    HR reached out in a timely fashion after each round to determine status of moving forward. Process of coordinating dates does take time which prolongs the process between rounds.

Interview Questions
    • One partner asked very specific questions regarding previous internship expereince at pharma company: What was the company's overall goal? How were the assays run/analyzed? Was the company venture backed?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2013.

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's job website, and then I was invited for an on-campus interview. It was 30 min long, most of it behavioral, more about why I am interested in consulting coming from a biology background and situations where I had a problem while working with a team and how I solved it. Then I had a relatively easy market sizing question for the last 10 mins - estimate the number of Nicorette packs sold in January in the US.
    About a week after, I received an invitation for a second, on-site interview. I had 3 interviews, 1 with two analysts, 1 with a consultant and the last one with one of the partners. Generally very nice and friendly people, also went to lunch with two other analysts and they were very helpful at answering questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was very surprised I wasn't asked a real business case question, especially in the second-round interviews, especially as I know other candidates who got even 2 cases. I had a case question but no numbers involved.   Answer Question

Life Sciences Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Applied online and had a first-round interview near campus. The interview was with a partner, which impressed me - it shows that they take their recruitment process seriously. Unfortunately, the partner wasn't a very good interviewer - a couple of his questions were just him rambling (very vaguely) for a minute or two, then saying something like "could you comment on that?" Most of the questions were centered on fit - be sure you have a very detailed understanding of what consultants do, what Putnam specializes in, etc. There was a bit of a case component, but it was mostly just breaking down what factors to think about when analyzing a given problem.

Interview Questions
    • What worries you about going into consulting / what do you think the main drawbacks are?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2010.

The interview consisted of an introductory half-hour phone interview, with about 15 minutes of fit/resume questions and the other 15 minutes of a mini case-study. My interviewer was incredibly nice and helpful, and I heard from Putnam the following day to schedule a final round of interviews in their office in Burlington. This process went from 9am to 3pm, and I had 6 different interviews with employees from all levels in the company. All but one interview consisted of a case study, and one of the interviews was 2:1. The company is relatively small with about 50 people, so they put a lot of emphasis on fit questions.

Interview Questions
    • How many hours of productivity are wasted on election day in the United States?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 1 week - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2010.

Got interview through resume and CV drop at school.
    Associate consultant interviewed me for 30 minutes at school; consisted of 15 minute resume and personality Q's, then 15 minute market sizing case.
    The question was easy, but as it was my first consulting interview it just did not go smoothly.
    The interviewer was friendly and courteous.

Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2009.

30 min on-campus first round about why consulting and Putnam Associates, teamwork question, and mini-market sizing case.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Putnam Associates

Worked for Putnam Associates? Contribute to the Community!