Putnam Associates

Relevance Date Difficulty

Summer Intern Interview

Summer Intern
Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates in January 2014.

Interview Details – The first round was a basic character interview with a fairly straight forward market sizing question. The second round was in the office for a super day consisting of three thirty minute interviews, a meeting with a senior consultant and a question process with a senior partner.

Interview Question – How would you advice a company to bring a new drug to market?   Answer Question

Burlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Interview Details – Round 1: 30-45 minute phone interview with Associate about background and reasons for interest in consulting, life science space and specifically Putnam. 15-20 minutes set aside for a market sizing case and questions.
Round 2: All day on-site interview approximately 5.5-6 hours consisting of 5 45 minute interviews and an hour+ lunch. First three interviews include cases of which I had one market sizing question and two industry specific life science strategy cases. Lunch was with two Analysts at a local restaurant (low stress, more get to know you questions). Last two interviews are with Partners. The order and amount of time individuals are able to talk is subject to change as a result of scheudling conflicts.
HR reached out in a timely fashion after each round to determine status of moving forward. Process of coordinating dates does take time which prolongs the process between rounds.

Interview Question – One partner asked very specific questions regarding previous internship expereince at pharma company: What was the company's overall goal? How were the assays run/analyzed? Was the company venture backed?   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Interview Details – Half an hour interview. 15 min for behavioral based on your resume; 15 min for mini case (market size).

Interview Question – Why you choose consulting instead of bench work   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2013.

Interview Details – I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's job website, and then I was invited for an on-campus interview. It was 30 min long, most of it behavioral, more about why I am interested in consulting coming from a biology background and situations where I had a problem while working with a team and how I solved it. Then I had a relatively easy market sizing question for the last 10 mins - estimate the number of Nicorette packs sold in January in the US.
About a week after, I received an invitation for a second, on-site interview. I had 3 interviews, 1 with two analysts, 1 with a consultant and the last one with one of the partners. Generally very nice and friendly people, also went to lunch with two other analysts and they were very helpful at answering questions.

Interview Question – I was very surprised I wasn't asked a real business case question, especially in the second-round interviews, especially as I know other candidates who got even 2 cases. I had a case question but no numbers involved.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Interview Details – Included the general fit questions and a case question. Fit questions included tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, one situation where you exhibited leadership qualities. A situation where you overcame a crisis, etc. It was a on campus interview and they were extremely friendly.

Interview Question – Not difficult or unexpected but worth mentioning - number of donuts sold by Dunkin Donuts on a Monday.   Answer Question

Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Interview Details – I found Putnam at my college's fall career fair, spoke with an associate consultant at the fair, and submitted a resume. I applied for a first round of on campus interviews and was notified a week before the interview that I'd been chosen. First round was very straight forward, with about 20 minutes of behavioral questions and resume summarizing and then one 15 minute estimation question. 48 hours after the interview I received an email from Putnam's HR office asking me to set up a date for a final round interview on site. I ended up doing the interview three weeks later. My interview was from 3pm-5pm and consisted of three separate interviews with different levels of employees. I received my offer approximately one month later.

Interview Question – How many packs of nicotine gum are sold in the US in January?   Answer Question

Life Sciences Consultant Interview

Life Sciences Consultant
Boston, MA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Interview Details – Applied online and had a first-round interview near campus. The interview was with a partner, which impressed me - it shows that they take their recruitment process seriously. Unfortunately, the partner wasn't a very good interviewer - a couple of his questions were just him rambling (very vaguely) for a minute or two, then saying something like "could you comment on that?" Most of the questions were centered on fit - be sure you have a very detailed understanding of what consultants do, what Putnam specializes in, etc. There was a bit of a case component, but it was mostly just breaking down what factors to think about when analyzing a given problem.

Interview Question – What worries you about going into consulting / what do you think the main drawbacks are?   Answer Question

Burlington, MA

The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2010.

Interview Details – The interview consisted of an introductory half-hour phone interview, with about 15 minutes of fit/resume questions and the other 15 minutes of a mini case-study. My interviewer was incredibly nice and helpful, and I heard from Putnam the following day to schedule a final round of interviews in their office in Burlington. This process went from 9am to 3pm, and I had 6 different interviews with employees from all levels in the company. All but one interview consisted of a case study, and one of the interviews was 2:1. The company is relatively small with about 50 people, so they put a lot of emphasis on fit questions.

Interview Question – How many hours of productivity are wasted on election day in the United States?   Answer Question

Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2010.

Interview Details – Got interview through resume and CV drop at school.
Associate consultant interviewed me for 30 minutes at school; consisted of 15 minute resume and personality Q's, then 15 minute market sizing case.
The question was easy, but as it was my first consulting interview it just did not go smoothly.
The interviewer was friendly and courteous.

Interview Question – Market sizing case   Answer Question

Burlington, MA

The process took a day - interviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2009.

Interview Details – 30 min on-campus first round about why consulting and Putnam Associates, teamwork question, and mini-market sizing case.

Interview Question – Size market for Halloween candy   Answer Question

Worked for Putnam Associates? Contribute to the Community!