Putnam Associates Interview Questions

Updated Oct 14, 2014

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in New Haven, CT

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Putnam Associates.

The interview was very casual, 30 minutes total. 15 minutes case, 15 minutes behavioral. The case was a basic market-entry question. The interviewer was nice, but a bit formal. Case question was random and unrelated to biotech or pharma. Overall good experience and average interview. Be sure to have sufficient questions to ask.

Associate Consultant Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2014.

I first heard about Putnam at an on campus career fair. They hosted info sessions on campus as well. I was selected for first round interview. The interview was on campus and about 30 minutes. It was all behavioral questions and walking through your resume. Interviewer picked random things to talk about off resume so be prepared to talk about yourself. They asked what is something about yourself not on your resume. The interview ended with a quick market sizing question and then you were allowed to ask questions about firm.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Putnam Associates.

Round 1: 30-45 minute phone interview with Associate about background and reasons for interest in consulting, life science space and specifically Putnam. 15-20 minutes set aside for a market sizing case and questions.
    Round 2: All day on-site interview approximately 5.5-6 hours consisting of 5 45 minute interviews and an hour+ lunch. First three interviews include cases of which I had one market sizing question and two industry specific life science strategy cases. Lunch was with two Analysts at a local restaurant (low stress, more get to know you questions). Last two interviews are with Partners. The order and amount of time individuals are able to talk is subject to change as a result of scheudling conflicts.
    HR reached out in a timely fashion after each round to determine status of moving forward. Process of coordinating dates does take time which prolongs the process between rounds.

Interview Questions
    • One partner asked very specific questions regarding previous internship expereince at pharma company: What was the company's overall goal? How were the assays run/analyzed? Was the company venture backed?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Putnam Associates.

Half an hour interview. 15 min for behavioral based on your resume; 15 min for mini case (market size).

Summer Associate Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Putnam Associates in February 2014.

Applied through my school's career services resume drop. Got a first round interview. The interviewer was very pleasant and friendly. He asked me a bit about my favorite classes and why I wanted to do consulting and why Putnam, all pretty standard stuff. I thought the interview went alright but I never heard back from the company.

Interview Questions
    • The case question was to estimate the total value of all items in my freshman dormitory.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a weekinterviewed at Putnam Associates.

Included the general fit questions and a case question. Fit questions included tell me about yourself, why do you want to work here, one situation where you exhibited leadership qualities. A situation where you overcame a crisis, etc. It was a on campus interview and they were extremely friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Not difficult or unexpected but worth mentioning - number of donuts sold by Dunkin Donuts on a Monday.   Answer Question

Summer Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Putnam Associates in January 2014.

The first round was a basic character interview with a fairly straight forward market sizing question. The second round was in the office for a super day consisting of three thirty minute interviews, a meeting with a senior consultant and a question process with a senior partner.

Interview Questions
    • How would you advice a company to bring a new drug to market?   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Putnam Associates.

I found Putnam at my college's fall career fair, spoke with an associate consultant at the fair, and submitted a resume. I applied for a first round of on campus interviews and was notified a week before the interview that I'd been chosen. First round was very straight forward, with about 20 minutes of behavioral questions and resume summarizing and then one 15 minute estimation question. 48 hours after the interview I received an email from Putnam's HR office asking me to set up a date for a final round interview on site. I ended up doing the interview three weeks later. My interview was from 3pm-5pm and consisted of three separate interviews with different levels of employees. I received my offer approximately one month later.

Interview Questions
    • How many packs of nicotine gum are sold in the US in January?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burlington, MA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Putnam Associates in October 2013.

I submitted my resume and cover letter through my university's job website, and then I was invited for an on-campus interview. It was 30 min long, most of it behavioral, more about why I am interested in consulting coming from a biology background and situations where I had a problem while working with a team and how I solved it. Then I had a relatively easy market sizing question for the last 10 mins - estimate the number of Nicorette packs sold in January in the US.
    About a week after, I received an invitation for a second, on-site interview. I had 3 interviews, 1 with two analysts, 1 with a consultant and the last one with one of the partners. Generally very nice and friendly people, also went to lunch with two other analysts and they were very helpful at answering questions.

Interview Questions
    • I was very surprised I wasn't asked a real business case question, especially in the second-round interviews, especially as I know other candidates who got even 2 cases. I had a case question but no numbers involved.   Answer Question

Life Sciences Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Putnam Associates.

Applied online and had a first-round interview near campus. The interview was with a partner, which impressed me - it shows that they take their recruitment process seriously. Unfortunately, the partner wasn't a very good interviewer - a couple of his questions were just him rambling (very vaguely) for a minute or two, then saying something like "could you comment on that?" Most of the questions were centered on fit - be sure you have a very detailed understanding of what consultants do, what Putnam specializes in, etc. There was a bit of a case component, but it was mostly just breaking down what factors to think about when analyzing a given problem.

Interview Questions
    • What worries you about going into consulting / what do you think the main drawbacks are?   Answer Question