Putnam Investments Interview Questions

Updated Apr 12, 2015
Updated Apr 12, 2015

2.9

Senior Accountant Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Putnam Investments.

Interview

HR Interview, Manager, Controller. Simple, straight forward. Asked about opinion on current employers, which is not a question that anyone wants to answer. Overall they were nice. Very particular interests and tunnel vision on requirements.

Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Putnam Investments (Boston, MA).

Interview

The first part of the interview was behavioral, followed by more technical questions (valuation based). Overall, the interviewer was rude and very critical. He sent me a rejection email within an hour of the interview.

Interview Questions

• Asked me to pick two companies in an industry and value them.   Answer Question

Entry Level IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ weeksinterviewed at Putnam Investments (Boston, MA) in February 2015.

Interview

Starts with on campus interview. then get a in person interview 2 weeks later. I was applying the IT job, but the person who interviewed said that he did not understanding any coding.

Dealer Marketing Services Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Putnam Investments.

Interview

The process was very straightforward. It started with a phone screen from HR a few days before I was scheduled to interview in the Andover office. The interviews themselves were 30 minutes~ and with a few different managers. All the questions were behavioral, minus a couple basic questions on finance and mutual funds. It's important to have a list of good questions to ask going into the interview, and the ability to carry a conversation with someone for an extended period of time. Know your story/resume cold and be able to pitch it in under two minutes. Don't expect to be grilled on technicals. Know the company's history, and what the position actually entails. Most importantly, be likable.

Dealer Marketing Sales Representative Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Putnam Investments (Andover, MA).

Interview

This interview was for the entry level position for internal wholesales. I applied online and then recieved an email a day later. The interview process consisted of 6 separate interviews all a half an hour long with each regional manager of the internal team. Essentially ask the same question over and over again. Ask me to define what a mutual fund is to a Joe Shmoe m

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Putnam Investments in November 2014.

Interview

Received a phone call to set up an interview. Went into MA offices two weeks later. Interview lasted 4 hours and consisted of interviewing with 5 managers and one phone observation.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about mutual funds and Putnam as a whole   Answer Question

Technical Associate Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Putnam Investments in November 2014.

Interview

After submitting my resume at a career fair, I was contacted for an on-campus interview within a week. This turned into a skype interview due to convenience. This first interview was purely a fit interview, talking about company culture, asking about my experiences and skills. The interviewer indicated that I would probably be moving on to the next round, which was confirmed by an email from Putnam within a week. I was invited to Boston for 4 interviews over the course of 3 hours. All 4 were fit interviews. One interviewer was an HR honcho, the other three were coders. One was really quiet, one was a very friendly woman, and the last was a no-nonsense, get-it-done kind of friendly. This last interviewer asked a couple of technical questions, but they weren't particularly difficult. See below. About three weeks later, I received my final answer.

Vice President, Product Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Putnam Investments (Boston, MA).

Interview

Worked with HR and had a half day interview with a number of investment folks. The initial HR interview was over the phone. I was then brought in to meet with 3 members of the team. A positive experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Nothing out of the ordinairy. General markt and macro knowledge.   Answer Question

Participant Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Putnam Investments.

Interview

I applied to another job within Putnam and was contacted back saying I was a better fit for the 401k division Participant Service Representative. Had a phone interview that seemed to go really well and then was called in for an interview at their Andover Office. It started off with a test that caught me off guard. they had warned me about the test but I didn't expect it to be timed and as difficult as it was. I recommend going over basic formulas for finding averages and calculating different loan and percentage type questions. The interview with the recruiter went well. Then I had an interview with the two managers. One of them was very nice easy to talk to and all that but the other one was not as easy to talk to. They walked me out giving me a tour of the office space.

Interview Questions

• What is the series 7 and series 63? Know exactly what they are.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Putnam Investments.

Interview

2 months long. First talked to a portfolio manager, then on site interview with all team members, then phone screen with the cohead of the group. not very much technical questions. but the cohead did ask some. most ppl just asked me to talk abt previous experience.

Interview Questions

• No reli any. One the leader asked me how would i estimate GDP.   Answer Question