PwC Interview Questions in London, England

Updated Apr 18, 2015

3.1

SummerCorporate Finance Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in April 2015.

Interview

First Round Telephone Interview.
    Interviewed for 20 minutes.
    Interviewed by a contractor on behalf of PwC.
    Very polite though sounded very monotoned.
    Went through a series of questions that measures applicant's demonstration of PwC's core values such as Global acumen.
    Responded within the next five days for my result

Interview Questions

• What I read on the news recently?
      How does that relate to the role I am applying for?

Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online – interviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)).

Interview

First interview with a director, followed by a second interview with a different director.

Both interviews were relaxed and I was made to feel at ease.

Typical competencies that are listed on the website with more specific probing into industry knowledge.

Final interview was in the morning and offer was made the same afternoon.

Interview Questions

• Why this profession, a conflict within a team project/my specific role, my opinion on certain current emerging trends.   Answer Question

Assurance Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

I applied for Assurance London, Autumn 2015 intake. And I got reject next day I finished the interview.. QAQ When I was answering why assurance, I could feel that she was not listening. I suppose that I lost my point here..

Interview Questions

• Why Assurance? What do you know about ACA.
      Time I've actively sought feedback.
      Time I had to raise a concern with a peer/colleague.
      Recent business news, what can PwC benefit.
      Time you had a complex problem.
      Time you have sought different perspectives.

Answer Question

Associate Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

In my opinion the assessment centre is one of the most poorly structured I've come across. Other than that the process is standard, but slow.

The process starts off with the online application, pretty standard stuff, why PwC? why Consulting? All your qualifications. Then you have the psychometric tests, again pretty standard. There's also a long, unnecessary personality test to fill out. Around a week later, they get in contact to let you know you can schedule a telephone interview.

The telephone interview questions can all be found in a pdf on their website in amongst their core competencies.

Then, after a long wait, 2-3 weeks, I was finally told I had passed the telephone interview and then came the assessment day. If PwC wants to be seen in as favourable a light as its competitors, such as EY and Accenture, who both had far superior assessment day, it needs to update they way it carries out this day.

It starts with a written exercise (yes you read that right, written, by hand, like most of the reports you'll be writing at PwC...?), and you can't check your phone for the time, it's less of an interview, more like an exam for school kids. Helpfully, my interviewer read out the time on her laptop, which wasn't the same as the time on the clock on the wall that we could actually see. It's very time sensitive so make sure you keep an eye on the clock, and bring your own watch. This is 2015, I was surprised.

The whole day, you don't interact with the people assessing you, they just sit there quietly and judge, it's quite off-putting actually.

The group is then split into 2, a group exercise and the psychometric tests. The psychometric tests are again pretty standard, though a little more time pressured than the ones online. For the group exercise, there was a problem and each individual was given a separate solution to the problem, you have to discuss the pros and cons of these solutions and come up with a consensus. 10 minutes from the end, an email comes in and you have to adapt to this new information.

Interview Questions

• Both written and group exercises we were given environmental problems and different solutions and had to discuss the pros and cons of each of these solutions and come up with a consensus.   Answer Question

Consulting Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Online application and tests
    Pretty easy and self-explanatory. You're asked to write about why PwC and why the area you're applying for and once you submit you have about a week to do the numerical and logical tests. Really prepare for the tests, majority is percent changes so make sure you can do those! (I used assessmentday packs which were about £8 but they were great and so worth it if you want to do well)

2. First interview
    I had mine in person but I know many are phone interviews. Look at PwC's core competencies- many of the questions they ask you to think about on the website are the ones you are asked- they're not trying to trick you!

3. Assessment Centre
    The AC consists of a written exercise, a group exercise and the numerical and logical tests again. The written exercise is really time pressured- don't spend too long reading or making notes and make sure you have a good structure. The group exercise was the most enjoyable part for me as you're conversing with others- act natural, listen to everyone and make eye contact. I was commended for prompting group discussion and waiting until people finished talking. Do not try and take charge- it is a group discussion for a reason. The tests are more time pressured than before as you do them on paper- make sure you practice them again before.

4. Partner Interview
    The partner was very friendly and made sure I was at ease. Though I was told on the phone that the same examples would be okay (if relevant) I was told at the start that different examples would make for a stronger interview so bear that in mind as it panicked me! They ask a lot more follow up questions than in the first interview and if they're not writing whilst you're talking you're not giving them enough. The thing they're judging most is your enthusiasm and passion for PwC and your business area and making sure you would fit into the team, so be yourself.

Feedback from all stages was always in depth and on the day they had said. Very impressed with the whole process and can't wait to get started!

Interview Questions

• What would be the most difficult thing about working with you?   Answer Question

Assurance Interview

Application

Interview

1) Online form & tests
    2) Phone interview. I was lucky to get a really nice interviewer. He made some small talk before the starting the interview and the atmosphere was pretty relaxing. Questions mainly revolved around the 5 pwc competencies, as mentioned by previous posts. Prepare at least 2 examples to talk about for each competencies, as some of the competency requires 2 different examples. The interviewer did explain the meaning of those competencies and how do they expect you to display those values. Listen carefully to their explanation and try to draw examples that relate as much as possible. Do expect the interviewer to come out with follow up questions. Surprisingly questions like why pwc, why assurance werent asked. My interview lasted about 30mins and i got the invitation to AC after 2 working days.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you receive feedback which subsequently changes the way you approach a task   Answer Question

Audit Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online. First round was behavioral, the second (final) round included two behavioral interviews and a chat with a partner. Overall the process was pretty smooth and people were nice. The questions were pretty standard, but you get a brain teaser or a weird question once or twice in each interview, so they can see how you react.

Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

Four stage process of which I experienced three:

1. Online tests: Fairly low mark required to pass but time pressured.
    2. Telephone interview: Lasted about 40 / 45 minutes, interviewer was friendly and helped put me at ease, very understanding and guided through questions nicely. Again I don't think the threshold is all that high as I thought I performed pretty poorly and still went through to the AC. Lots of advice elsewhere on the internet but few things i'd focus on; know exactly what PWC and your line do, know how the program works, if its rotational how long will you spend in each dep. and what happens when you complete a rotation, several good pieces of recent news and how the apply to PWC and specifically your chosen line.
    3. AC: Half Day 13:00 - 17:00 ( I think). Probably about 20 or so grads there, everyone was nice and most are from Oxford, Cambridge, LSE etc. Several exercises including a retest of the online tests (felt slightly harder but probably just environment and scored highly), group exercise in a group of four. Cant remember the exact scenario but it was to do with utilising waste product from a manufacturing process, everyone had the same back story plus an additional piece of info unique to each candidate. Then had to discuss as a group to decide who had the best option based on cost, payback etc. Half way through the situation changes and funding is reduced so you have to reconsider. Another exercise was a hand written report about water. Again very time pressured, a number of people didn't finish.

After the tests we also had time to talk with some current graduates.

4. Partner interview.

I didn't succeed at the assessment center, they phone you about a week after and give thorough feedback. You are ranked out of 5 for each exercise and then are given a cumulative score. You need to perform well in all tasks otherwise you may not progress. I performed well in the retests and report but scored 3 on a couple of the markers for the group exercise and this was enough to prevent me progressing. This means you can pass everything and still not continue in the process. I should also note I was very late to apply and the HR member who delivered my feedback said places were limited by that point and had I applied earlier I would have probably progressed so make sure to apply early!

All in all was a very good experience, I have had interviews with the other big four and PWC were by far best in my opinion. The London offices were great and I imagine it would be a really good place to work, the projects we talked about with the grads seemed really interesting and the caliber of people in the AC are generally very good.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about the scheme, what happens at the end of a rotation?   Answer Question

Solicitor Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in February 2015.

Interview

First round interview with two directors in the legal function, one hour long. Very detailed inquisition into previous work history - both interviewers were skilled in soliciting information from me without being aggressive. Went into great depth, including asking me to recall the four major negotiation points on a major deal I worked on almost two years previously, plus specific examples of bespoke drafting I had done. As well as discussing my prior work experience I was asked what I knew about the role, the team and PwC more generally. Also delved into my motivations for wanting to join their organisation.

Interview Questions

• Why PwC and this role? Why considering leaving current role? What can you bring to the team? Explain previous deals you've worked on, main negotiation point, lessons learnt, what to do differently next time.   Answer Question

Data Assurance Grad Recruitment Final Interview Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at PwC (London, England (UK)) in January 2015.

Interview

Online application --> Phone interview --> Assessment Center --> Final Interview.

If you have the grades, then online application is not much of an issue. The phone interview questions are quite standard and are posted online. Do a lot of research initially so you don't have to do as much for the final interview. Practice the STAR format for ALL of your experiences and come up with stories on how you fit into their competencies. A good answer doesn't mean you just completed your answer in STAR format, but that you were engaging in your tone and showed that you genuinely took an interest in your previous work / study. With STAR, spend less time on situate/task and more time on action/result. What did you specifically do in the situation and how did it benefit yourself or the team? Look on the PwC website for a portion on how to conduct interviews with video examples. Compare your responses to the ones on there.

For assessment center, look online for some tips. I personally bought logic/math tests from Assessment Day and took them repeatedly until I was really comfortable with them. Do not let this be the reason you do not make it through. For the written report, it's all about structure, language, and content. Work quickly. For group exercises, it's all about how you act alongside others. It has nothing to do with actually coming up with the "best answer" as a group. Don't interrupt others during this and call each other by their name. Be a generally "easy person to work with"... When presenting your option to the group, be clear and have some structure in your answer. Look online for some more in depth experiences and tips.

The final interview can be easy or hard depending on your interviewer. Prepare for the worst. Practice a lot. Do mock interviews with others. You can even provide them questions.... just get the experience in talking with someone 1 on 1. Be relaxed, easy-going, and smile. The partner wants to assess if he wants to work with you. Keep that in mind. Do your research and provide clear, structured answers to get the offer. Build a rapport with the interviewer.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a bit about yourself.   1 Answer
    • What do you know about PwC?
      What are some of the things you think PwC's facing/should think about?

1 Answer
    • Tell me a time when you...   1 Answer
    • How would you go about some of the data processes at your previous job?   1 Answer