PwC Tax Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

2.8

Tax Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at PwC.

Interview

Interviewed with two managers and a partner. One behavioral question (standard have to ask all applicants) and just general conversation. One lady legit asked me one question and made me ask her questions the entire time. Like come on lady who's interview is this mine or yours?

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for PwC

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PwC (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Had on campus interview with a partner for about 30 mins, at the end he told me directly that I was invited to the office visit. The office visit was great. I didn't even have a formal interview, but was extended an offer whenever I got there. I had offers from 2 other big 4 firms too but I decided to accept PwC's because I felt most comfortable with their people.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at PwC (Houston, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

I applied through the Campus. There is a initial screening process. The hardest part is getting past that screening because PwC, like the other Big 4, all look for a few things - networking, Beta Alpha Si, or PPA program. If you don't have those 3, you have to be lucky even if you have a 3.9 GPA (which I did). I didn't have any of the three so I fell into the "lucky" category.

After you get past the initial screening, you have a Pre-Interview Dinner and 1st round interview. The Pre-Interview dinner is a must because you get to meet your interviewer beforehand (mines was a partner) and have some level of mutual understanding before the actual interview.

The actual 1st round is roughly 30-45 minutes. For my interview, the icebreaker the previous night allowed us to quickly get into the interview. The partner briefly introduced his background and work. After that, we started from the top of the resume, which was my undergrad (I majored in Pre-Law at my undergrad). I basically pointed out that there are two things required to be successful in my undergrad major - research and writing. After that, we moved onto my current job at a local firm. I described the work I did and the partner asked me an example of when I researched the code. I explained how I did it and what I found. He also asked me in detail of what I did at my current firm. After he was satisfied with my resume, we moved onto the behavioral questions.

The three are A) how would you teach someone (i.e. train) B) how do you learn C) how do you persuade.

While we're here, I want to make something very clear. From this interview, it's clear that the point of my interview was to specifically seek out certain behaviors or skills. PwC is looking for research skills, writing skills, communication, critical thinking, and collaboration. The answers in the interview have to convey those.

After the 3 questions, I was asked if there were any questions I had, which you of course must ask.

With that, the interview was done and the partner said that the recruiting team will shortly contact me for the next step (a hint that the interview went very well). All in all, it was a very successful interview because I had a homerun on A) and a solid, satisfactory answer for B) and C). After the interview, I wrote a post-interview thank you letter because it's basic manners and the partner reaffirmed his prior statement that the recruiting team will be in contact shortly.

So, ok. If the interview went so well why did I not get an offer? Initially, I was allowed into the 2nd round, which is the office visit and presumably the final step. The problem was that none of the office visit dates fit in my schedule (personal reasons and not because those dates conflicted with other office interviews) so I contacted HR, which is responsible for the scheduling. I won't divulge the details, but things went south really fast. From my conversation, I believe that HR is either A) lying in my face or B) actually truthful in which case they have a recruiting issue (since none of the other firms had a problem).

Interview Questions

• Describe how you would teach someone   1 Answer
    • Describe how you would learn from someone   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when you had to persuade someone   1 Answer

Tax Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PwC.

Interview

On campus interview first, which is very conversational and I got an invitation for a final interview a week after. For the final interview, I had three interviews with two partners and senior manager, and each interview was 30 minute long. Also conversational interviews and never asked tricky questions.

Tax Interview

Interview

Applied thru college. About 45 minutes. Most of the questions were behavioral ones and the interviewer was a manager. The talk was pretty easy. Introduce yourself. Why pwc. Why Tax. What is your weakness

Interview Questions

• Describe how you apply others' suggestions into your work   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at PwC (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

I had 1 on campus interview (30 min) with the manager, and 3 interviews (20 min each) in the office. All of interviewers were very friendly and helpful. There were no technical questions about PwC or position that I applied for, only questions from resume or behavioral questions. Overall it was quite easy, as log as you know how to prove that you have necessary skills for the position, and that why you are interested in the job.

Interview Questions

• What business development have you been following and why?   Answer Question
    • If you know that your co-worker revealed some confidential information to the public, what would you do?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about one project where you had to collect a lot of data, and how did you do it?   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at PwC.

Interview

I was interviewed on campus but was not invited for the second round. I was interviewed by a tax partner. It was a comfortable atmosphere. No difficult questions but i fumbled a little. I was not as prepared as i thought i was (that is, i had no cover letter and no supporting documents e.g. previous projects). It was about 45 minutes but it went by so fast.

Tax Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at PwC.

Interview

I applied through my school's career website. I got a first round and had a 1 on 1 interview with a Tax Manager, who I actually ended up meeting the night before the Interview at the Pre-Interview Reception. I found out 2 weeks later that I got a 2nd round and would have a Tax SuperDay at the actual office. The Tax SuperDay was about a month later and consisted of 2 days. PwC paid for my hotel and there was again a Pre-Interview dinner the night before, which was really fun. I got to connect and talk to a lot of people who worked in the department I was interviewing for and it really helped to calm my nerves.

The next morning I had 3 interviews including one with a partner. All three individuals were very easygoing and easy to talk to!

Overall, a great experience; they genuinely just want to get to know you as a person and aren't looking to trip you up or anything.

Interview Questions

• Most questions were strictly behavioral and I ended up just having a normal conversation with the interviewers. However one did ask me a question along the lines of "Was there a time when you realized you made a mistake in something and how did you go about alleviating that mistake?"

I was just caught off guard and quickly had to think of a situation that matched this, but overall the questions were simple and it was a great experience!

Answer Question

Tax Interview

Interview

just had an over the phone interview...was very casual. Interviewer just spoke about company/position and asked if I plan on getting a cpa license/masters.Just make sure to ask questions about the firm and show interest in the position.

Interview Questions

• This was a very casual interview,that being said there were no behavioral questions or any questions you would expect to hear at an interview.Show interest in the position and you're good to go.   Answer Question

Tax Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at PwC.

Interview

Applied online. Have the first round on campus. Before the interview, we have the pre-interview social. Interviewer is a tax manager. She is very nice. The questions are all behavior questions based on your resume.