QRM Interview Questions

3.3

Financial Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Interview

Got contact info at a job fair, submitted resume online and received a call to come in for an interview. Had 3 interviews before meeting with founders of the company and the CEO. Entire process was relaxed. Some basic finance questions in the early rounds, followed by "fit" questions in the last round.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in February 2014.

Interview

Had a phone interview with team lead and a developer. Reasonable questions, overall positive. Next step was a Java programming test. Completed the test and was informed that it did not meet expectations. Tried to get some comments on what they didn't like, but no answer to my email.

Financial Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Introduced the position by someone in the company, then 3 round interviews. First was with VPs and manager-level people. Second was with the team I would work for. Third was with the Executive VP and one technology manager. Interview with VPs had many behavior questions and casual chats. Interview with the team had many questions about fixed income knowledge, derivative pricing and a few programming experiences (mostly about database and basic programming knowledge).

Interview Questions

• Not the most difficult one, given some economic condition, how would yield curve change or given a yield curve changes, what kind of economic condition forces it?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Risk Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in March 2013.

Interview

Got a phone interview screening first. Then had a two hour on-site interview. There are a lot of questions about my education background. We had a very detailed discussion on the materials covered in our courses. Question like Black Scholes model, MLE, and a lot of fixed income derivatives questions.

Interview Questions

• Was asked whether I had experience of some kind of software I have never heard before.   Answer Question

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in June 2012.

Interview

Had an initial phone interview and was invited in for several on site interviews. Everyone was very friendly, but the company didn't seem very organized- at one point I was left alone in the conference room for 30 minutes until they realized they had forgotten about me. I found the interviews redundant and surprisingly non-technical.

I met with the owners a few weeks later and then never heard from them again despite making attempts to follow up.

Interview Questions

• What types of risk does a bank face?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in November 2011.

Interview

I probably should have suspected something when the first phone interview they couldn't stay connected for long enough to have a talk and then called 30-45 minutes late on my second interview - but I decided to continue anyway.

The phone interview was mostly easy and consisted of generic programming type questions - binary search trees, sorting, searching, etc. After that I was invited out to their headquarters for the final interview. The interview there was a lot harder and consisted of many hours of coding on a white board and talking with developers. There were a lot of questions about algorithms and data structures. As a whole - most of the interviewers seemed disinterested and annoyed they had to be interviewing someone. It was a major turn off.

As a whole I didn't feel I did too badly and was told I'd hear back within a week. A week passed and I never heard anything. I tried e-mailing and calling and got no response. Finally, over a month later, I get a short one sentence e-mail saying no thanks. Aside from that, I was told that they would reimburse for parking and certain expenses but that never happened.

The company seems extremely sleazy as a whole. I'd warn anyone to remember this when looking for a position here.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in July 2011.

Interview

The interview process took too long. I had to make 3 distinct trips to the company (they didn't pay for any of them). In total I was interview by over 8 different people.

Interviewers were very kind and nice people but I think some of my interviews were entirely redundant. Basically repeated the same thing.

After the final interview, they asked for my SAT exam result, which I never took.

Product Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in April 2011.

Interview

First round was with 7 technical ppl.. mostly asked me about my resume, course work and projects and questions from John C Hull - Options Futures and other Derivatives book. Option Theory, BS model derivation, interest rate modeling, Qs on distributions, swaps, eurodollar futures (these Qs mainly coz it was mentioned in my resume) Second round was very casual easy one.. most of dem were taking it as a formality....same day wch was supppose to be the third round ..meet the founders of QRM....overall general Qs....and in 1 wk time ..some mail to ask for additional details ...after that never heard back from them ...nothin like a rejection mail or anything..

Actuarial Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

I sent my cover letter and resume to their HR as directed on their website. A reply came about a week later inviting me to have casual lunch with another actuarial analyst, someone in the position I was applying for. We set up a time to meet and had a casual lunch. Normal questions about my background, skills, and why I was interested in their company. They liked me enough to have me come in a couple weeks later for an in-person interview. I had 4 1-on-1's. I was still being considered and a few weeks after that I was brought back in to meet two more people that were out of the office the first time I interviewed. It has been a few weeks since that meeting and I haven't heard anything - their HR is moderately responsive, but I'm guessing I won't get an offer. This is a small-business feel and it seems like they're looking for a candidate that's entrepreneurial/self-starter and also someone they can get along with well. See the questions section for additional attributes they're looking for in a candidate.

Interview Questions

• I came from a consulting firm, so I was asked about my experience with clients. They are looking for someone to be actuarial customer support for the companies using their risk management product, so having this communication experience is very valuable.   Answer Question
    • My resume was covered quite thoroughly, so going into the interview knowing what you want to say about EVERY bullet point will be great preparation. I had something poorly worded under one of my internship experiences and was called out on it. It also seemed that each section was covered by another person. My education was covered by one person, internships by the next interviewer, and then finally professional experience by the third.   Answer Question
    • This role requires the ability to discuss very technical ideas with their clients, so they want to see that you can do this. I was asked very detailed questions about my previous work. Don't let the prying frustrate you, I think that's what they're trying to do to see how you respond to the pressure.   Answer Question
    • Some accounting-type knowledge is useful to have. I was asked very specific questions about assets and insurance: What types of risk do insurance companies face? Describe some options? I was then given specific cases and asked to compute option value. Nothing crazy if you have actuarial exam experience (FM or MFE) with option pricing, but good luck if you haven't taken any exams.
      Are you familiar with "forward rates"?
      Two different interviewers asked me about the Black-Scholes Formula. I said I have used it and they asked me what the variables are.

Answer Question
    • I was let go from my previous job, so this way really questioned. They saw this as a red flag and did a lot of digging into why I was let go. If you're in the same position, be ready for this.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at QRM (Chicago, IL) in March 2011.

Interview

Very well-structured in-person interview process. First was code review of my solution to a problem they had given me. The reviewer drilled into areas of the code where he felt exposed an incomplete grasp of the technical details; very nit-picky things. This was to see how I handle negative feedback, and also how well I could learn new information.
    Second interview was with the company owners. They weren't told really who I was or what I was interviewing for, but were there just to give their blessing on any new hires. I had a prepared question on the topic, and that got them bouncing ideas back & forth.
    Third interview was with two developers who would be my peers, just to see how I got along with them.
    Fourth interview was with two project managers who wanted me to present my design at a high level to see if I could get out of the weeds and talk at a business level.
    Fifth interview was with the architect, and was the mirror image of the code review. Rather than go into what I didn't know well, he asked me what my best language was, and we dove deep on that language, even though that wasn't the language I would be expected to know in the position.

I was very positive leaving the interview, but was not offered the position, because I have & communicated aspirations above the position I was interviewing for.

Advice to interviewees: They are not interested in helping you grow professionally. They want to hire you for a job and have you stay in that job as long as possible. If you're interviewing for receptionist, tell them answering phones is what you live for and you can't think of anything more fulfilling.

Interview Questions

• Write one line of C++ which will output the reverse of a string input.   1 Answer