QinetiQ Interview Questions

Updated Mar 8, 2015

3.1

No Idea Interview

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at QinetiQ (Washington, DC) in February 2013.

Interview

Had a phone screen with a very excited recruiter who had received my resume from a recruiter friend of mine. Within a week, I met with a business development director who was staffing a program for a potential win. He gave me the thumbs up, and then I interviewed with the program director. The site where the business development director was located seemed very sullen and dark and had very few employees in the office (not a surprise). The administrative assistant who was dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie (surprising for corporate attire) seemed to be bored and had left me in the lobby for 30 minutes past the expected interview start with no explanation. I would not describe the place as having any energy at all and seemed to be very sad.

The program director interviewed me at a grocery store that was down the road from the business development director's site. He had gotten himself a cup of coffee at their Starbucks kiosk before I arrived but did not ask me if I wanted to get any refreshments for myself, and quickly launched into the interview. He asked odd questions that led me to believe he thought I was going to try to take his job if I was hired. He told me he liked to work from home and did not go into the office unless it was necessary. I can say for sure that I was never interviewed for a professional IT job at a grocery store before.

I'm not sure for which position I was being interviewed since my resume went directly from recruiter to recruiter. The business development director asked questions about a task lead position but that seemed to be far below my skillset and experience, also having been a director for 5 years.

Seems like the company is a collection of companies that have come together but there is no real direction or cohesiveness. I would have liked to work on that program and do like the client that they support at that location. Would have been a wonderful commute as well. Happy employee? I could have been!

Interview Questions

• The second interviewer asked me whether I wanted to run a few programs (his job) or did I want to just be on a program. I wasn't sure how to answer the question because I've run large organizations far above his pay grade in the past.   Answer Question

Graduate Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at QinetiQ.

Interview

i applied through their online platform and had to do a telephone interview follwed by an assessment day. went to assessment day where 50 other candidates came too for the same position. we were given light breakfast and then was given a presentation about the organisation.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ in January 2015.

Interview

I was recommended to the company by a colleague. I supplied my CV and on the strength of the contents they offered an interview.

The interview was by a panel of three. There was a team leader asking project management questions, a radar research specialist who delivered technical radar questions and there was a third person who asked HR type questions.
    An examples of a PM type question raised is 'Tell me about the structure of our main client'.
    Examples of technical questions raised are 'Tell me the Radar Equation' and 'Where is the technology going?'.
    Examples of HR type questions raised are 'What do you know about Qinetiq?', 'What makes you a good candidate for the job?' and 'What is your main weakness?'
    The interview lasted an hour. When asked for my questions I asked for a look at the facility. It was declined.

They did something I didn't expect. I was led from the interview room to my car by a member of staff. She asked me how I thought it had gone. As we reached the car I was told that what I had just said would be used in the decision making process. Let that be a lesson to me. It isn't over until you are off the premises. I hadn't said anything too harmful, but I must have sounded a little negative.

I asked for a decision after waiting a week. I wanted to show my interest, but didn't want to push too hard. There was no response to telephone messages but they did reply to an e-mail. I was told I would know the following week. After a total of three weeks I got an e-mail telling me I was a strong candidate but there were others stronger on weapon knowledge.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the structure of our main client   1 Answer

C4ISR Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ (Malvern, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied for the graduate scheme in 2014 to start in the Autumn of 2015. However, since I had already graduated I was asked if I would consider starting immediately, or rather as soon as all the security admin has been completed; obviously subject to interview first.

I therefore went to the QinetiQ site in Malvern, the HQ of C4ISR, for an assessment centre.

The Day consisted of:
    A presentation about the company (not-assessed),
    A group exercise,
    An interview & pre-planned presentation,
    A written exercise
    A tour of the premises and presentation of the sort of work we could expect in our first six months (not-assessed).

The group exercise was pretty standard: given a scenario and a problem and told to come up with a solution.

The written exercise was similar except you had to write a brief report to recommend a CEO what to do.

The interview was very relaxed. It started with me giving a presentation without visual aids for 10 minutes followed by questions that weren't brutal but more to create discussion. The interview began with some competency questions such as 'Explain a time when you used....(teamwork, leadership time management etc)' and ' Explain why you want the Job'.

Finally I was asked a technical question, I was not expected to know the answer but it was more to see how much prompting I would need to work out the answer - this isn't really anything you can prepare for.

Overall the day was very relaxed and it included lots of time to relax inbetween activities and chat to current graduates and employees (including the interviewers!) in a fairly informal manner. All were very helpful and friendly and made you feel at ease.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)).

Interview

Online assessment followed by an invitation to an assessment day at Farnborough. (Note different departments have different methods for assessing candidates so don't assume your assessment will be similar)
    Assessment day consisted of 4 events: An manual dexterity test, a presentation, an interview and critical thinking assessment.

Manual dexterity test — essentially 50 minutes to put together a robot following instructions (harder than you think) but just take your time.
    Presentation — on anything you want that is similar to the job role OR consists of sufficient technical data (most people chose their final year project)
    Critical thinking assessment — Reading a lot of data and attempting to assess the appropriate action that should be taken
    Group exercise — You boat has capsized and you have a list of items to put into order in terms of priority. You have 15 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Nothing majorly difficult — questions on your presentation ( what you did, why you did it, what methods did you use, etc) then some competency questions and some about why you are applying to QinetiQ.   Answer Question

Weapons Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at QinetiQ.

Interview

Very straight forward with a video interview using launch pad. Took 3 months from application to assessment centre.

Weapons Division Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ.

Interview

Assessment centre at the Farnborough site. All day event comprising of group exercises, individual tests (numerical and written) and an interview. Really well organised day with a tour of the site at the end. The hiring managers present were were not all from the same division, but were all easy to talk to and gave interesting answers.

Interview Questions

• Why are there focus points of sound around the weapons test site?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)).

Interview

Cold called! After interview was finished, was told I was hired within 5 mins! Amazed and grateful for such a painless experience.

Negotiation

No negotiation. Happy what they had offered at that time.

Graduate Software Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Aberporth, Wales (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ (Aberporth, Wales (UK)) in September 2012.

Interview

Application was with CV via their website, was invited for interview in aberporth wales. I prepped for a few days cramming answers to competency based questions and didnt end up receiving any, questions where strictly software based on software lifecycle and different techniques/terminology. Fresh out of university I feel i would have breezed this interview of if I had prepped for the correct type of interview, none of the questions were particularly tricky i was simply rusty having not actually practiced software since graduating 2 years previously.

Such a remote location, they were friendly and one of the interviewrs dropped me to the nearest town in his fancy car, shame they never got back to me even after i requested feedback.

Interview Questions

• What is white box testing?   1 Answer

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Gosport, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at QinetiQ (Gosport, England (UK)) in December 2011.

Interview

Applied for a specific position on the QQ website, so my CV was sifted and I was offered an interview. On digging for information I was one of 3 candidates. I was informed by HR that the interview would be a 1 hour competancy interview. On arrival I was shown into a conference room with a place for 3 interviewers with pencil and paper. I then realised it wasn't JUST competency. I was grilled on science and HR and general interview type Qs, and given a tour of the QQ site. I was informed by email after 3 weeks (having been told it would only be 2) that I was unsuccessful, and on replying I asked for feedback and informed them of my misinformation regarding the interview type. I have since heard nothing back. Very poor.

Interview Questions

• This is a very male oriented environment, will that be a problem for you?   Answer Question