QinetiQ

Updated Nov 15, 2014

No Idea Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at QinetiQ in February 2013.

Had a phone screen with a very excited recruiter who had received my resume from a recruiter friend of mine. Within a week, I met with a business development director who was staffing a program for a potential win. He gave me the thumbs up, and then I interviewed with the program director. The site where the business development director was located seemed very sullen and dark and had very few employees in the office (not a surprise). The administrative assistant who was dressed in sweatpants and a hoodie (surprising for corporate attire) seemed to be bored and had left me in the lobby for 30 minutes past the expected interview start with no explanation. I would not describe the place as having any energy at all and seemed to be very sad.

The program director interviewed me at a grocery store that was down the road from the business development director's site. He had gotten himself a cup of coffee at their Starbucks kiosk before I arrived but did not ask me if I wanted to get any refreshments for myself, and quickly launched into the interview. He asked odd questions that led me to believe he thought I was going to try to take his job if I was hired. He told me he liked to work from home and did not go into the office unless it was necessary. I can say for sure that I was never interviewed for a professional IT job at a grocery store before.

I'm not sure for which position I was being interviewed since my resume went directly from recruiter to recruiter. The business development director asked questions about a task lead position but that seemed to be far below my skillset and experience, also having been a director for 5 years.

Seems like the company is a collection of companies that have come together but there is no real direction or cohesiveness. I would have liked to work on that program and do like the client that they support at that location. Would have been a wonderful commute as well. Happy employee? I could have been!

Interview Questions
    • The second interviewer asked me whether I wanted to run a few programs (his job) or did I want to just be on a program. I wasn't sure how to answer the question because I've run large organizations far above his pay grade in the past.   Answer Question

C4ISR Graduate Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Malvern, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ in November 2014.

I applied for the graduate scheme in 2014 to start in the Autumn of 2015. However, since I had already graduated I was asked if I would consider starting immediately, or rather as soon as all the security admin has been completed; obviously subject to interview first.

I therefore went to the QinetiQ site in Malvern, the HQ of C4ISR, for an assessment centre.

The Day consisted of:
    A presentation about the company (not-assessed),
    A group exercise,
    An interview & pre-planned presentation,
    A written exercise
    A tour of the premises and presentation of the sort of work we could expect in our first six months (not-assessed).

The group exercise was pretty standard: given a scenario and a problem and told to come up with a solution.

The written exercise was similar except you had to write a brief report to recommend a CEO what to do.

The interview was very relaxed. It started with me giving a presentation without visual aids for 10 minutes followed by questions that weren't brutal but more to create discussion. The interview began with some competency questions such as 'Explain a time when you used....(teamwork, leadership time management etc)' and ' Explain why you want the Job'.

Finally I was asked a technical question, I was not expected to know the answer but it was more to see how much prompting I would need to work out the answer - this isn't really anything you can prepare for.

Overall the day was very relaxed and it included lots of time to relax inbetween activities and chat to current graduates and employees (including the interviewers!) in a fairly informal manner. All were very helpful and friendly and made you feel at ease.

Graduate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at QinetiQ.

Online assessment followed by an invitation to an assessment day at Farnborough. (Note different departments have different methods for assessing candidates so don't assume your assessment will be similar)
    Assessment day consisted of 4 events: An manual dexterity test, a presentation, an interview and critical thinking assessment.

Manual dexterity test — essentially 50 minutes to put together a robot following instructions (harder than you think) but just take your time.
    Presentation — on anything you want that is similar to the job role OR consists of sufficient technical data (most people chose their final year project)
    Critical thinking assessment — Reading a lot of data and attempting to assess the appropriate action that should be taken
    Group exercise — You boat has capsized and you have a list of items to put into order in terms of priority. You have 15 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing majorly difficult — questions on your presentation ( what you did, why you did it, what methods did you use, etc) then some competency questions and some about why you are applying to QinetiQ.   Answer Question

Weapons Interview

I applied online – interviewed at QinetiQ.

Very straight forward with a video interview using launch pad. Took 3 months from application to assessment centre.

Weapons Division Interview

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ.

Assessment centre at the Farnborough site. All day event comprising of group exercises, individual tests (numerical and written) and an interview. Really well organised day with a tour of the site at the end. The hiring managers present were were not all from the same division, but were all easy to talk to and gave interesting answers.

Interview Questions
    • Why are there focus points of sound around the weapons test site?   Answer Question

Engineer Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ.

Cold called! After interview was finished, was told I was hired within 5 mins! Amazed and grateful for such a painless experience.

No negotiation. Happy what they had offered at that time.

Graduate Software Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberporth, Wales (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Aberporth, Wales (UK)

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at QinetiQ in September 2012.

Application was with CV via their website, was invited for interview in aberporth wales. I prepped for a few days cramming answers to competency based questions and didnt end up receiving any, questions where strictly software based on software lifecycle and different techniques/terminology. Fresh out of university I feel i would have breezed this interview of if I had prepped for the correct type of interview, none of the questions were particularly tricky i was simply rusty having not actually practiced software since graduating 2 years previously.

Such a remote location, they were friendly and one of the interviewrs dropped me to the nearest town in his fancy car, shame they never got back to me even after i requested feedback.

Research Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gosport, England (UK)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Gosport, England (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at QinetiQ in December 2011.

Applied for a specific position on the QQ website, so my CV was sifted and I was offered an interview. On digging for information I was one of 3 candidates. I was informed by HR that the interview would be a 1 hour competancy interview. On arrival I was shown into a conference room with a place for 3 interviewers with pencil and paper. I then realised it wasn't JUST competency. I was grilled on science and HR and general interview type Qs, and given a tour of the QQ site. I was informed by email after 3 weeks (having been told it would only be 2) that I was unsuccessful, and on replying I asked for feedback and informed them of my misinformation regarding the interview type. I have since heard nothing back. Very poor.

Interview Questions
    • This is a very male oriented environment, will that be a problem for you?   Answer Question

Engineering Management Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at QinetiQ in February 2010.

Applied online for the position and got a direct email inviting me for the interview. There was ample time given from when I was contacted to the time the interview was scheduled.

Was requested to bring some documents such as passport, bank statement, recent ID and educational credientials as a form of identification. The interview was at the company's HQ. A Line manager and a rep from HR presided. The interview was clearly set out to explore my experience and qualification. A few questions were asked to ascertain personality and also knowledge.

They were quite professional in dealing with me, but I was surprised for such a reputable firm there was no mention of reimbursing expenses for making a trip to their HQ for an interview. Was worse considering they only sent an email to deliver the bad news.

Interview Questions
    • Name one moment you were least proud of in your career, what happened?   Answer Question

Graduate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at QinetiQ in December 2009.

Competency based

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you faced opposition.   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where you had to analyze a substantial amount of data.   Answer Question