Qualcomm DSP Firmware Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jun 26, 2015

3.2

DSP Firmware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2013.

Interview

I had a phone interview . I was expecting a detailed questionnaire on my projects but the interviewer started out with questions on C and then went on to ask questions related to DSP and Communications theory. The interviewer was good and was very patient in asking each question and listening to my answers.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult part for me were questions on C which i did not prepare at all. There were questions related to embedded systems and questions on Cache memory.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2013.

Interview

Applied on their career website. First was the phone interview where they asked about my projects and some basic questions. Called onsite at Santa Clara where i had 6 interviews.

Interview Questions

• questions were pretty simple like create a linked list of n nodes, some puzzles   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in April 2010.

Interview

I was referred by an employee and got email from the HR to set up the phone interview. After about 45 min I got the on site interview recommendation. During the phone interview I was asked a lot questions about what I was doing and and some theory algorithm associated with them. For example: How to do the channel estimation? How to implement the power control algorithm. all the technique related questions are based on the interviewer's working experience. I don't have on site interview scheduled yet. But my experience is you have to really know what your were doing and make the interviewer believes that you really did the work as you claimed.

Interview Questions

• How to estimate the DP SNR?   1 Answer
    • How to estimate 16QAM threshold   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

Passed Phone interview. Asked questions about DSP assembly. How do you perform a modulo without using the modulo operator? Asked about macm and how it handles 32bit multiplication. Next step was an onsite interview. About 6 hours. Asked questions about wireless theory, space-time block codes, OFDM, MIMO and fourier analysis. Had to write a C function that reversed bits given two indices in an int. More C questions about multi-threading, some questions about hardware and assembly languages.

Interview Questions

• Write a c functions that takes two bit indices and an int, and reverses the bits in the int between the two indices.   6 Answers
    • Describe why OFDM works as well as it does. Describe QAM modulation and the effects of channel offsets   Answer Question

DSP Firmware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Qualcomm (Farnborough, Hampshire, South East England, England (UK)) in July 2012.

Interview

1 Hr technical phone interview (CV screening + basic technical question), half a day onsite interview, 4 rounds 1vs1 (45mins) with each team lead + department manager. Phone interview lasted about one hour with DSP algorithms and drivers lead, focused on fixed point math, Q format for fixed point representation, general telecommunications questions. After that, I was invited onsite for the interview. It lasted nearly half a day, with 4 different rounds with each team lead (FW, algorithms, systems) and with the department manager. Started with a presentation of the work at my previous company, touched telecommunications aspects focusing on equalization and GSM standard techniques, basic C knowledge, equalization algorithms comparison.

Interview Questions

• Digital modulations, GMSK; GSM standard FIR filtering in C Equalization techniques   Answer Question