Qualcomm Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Jul 2, 2015

3.2

Engineering Interview

Interview

I interviewed for an engineering position. Interview questions were fairly easy, some algorithm questions and some control questions. I never heard back from them after the interview.

Overall, I thought the workplace seemed very dull, and people seemed low energy and not enthusiastic about their job.

Interview Questions

• I got questions about my past experiences and some algorithm questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Approached through staffing agency. Scheduled phone interview within a week. Initial technical phone screening. Then scheduled for 4-5 rounds of 1:1 interview. Interviewer were all team members with experience of 4-5 years.

Interview Questions

• All related to job experience. Coding questions. technology specific questions. Asked about academic projects, internship experience on resume.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I interviewed with 6 people; one of them took me out to lunch. Each interview was 45 minutes to an hour long. Interesting questions and great people. HR was bad - it took a very long time to hear back from them. I had other offers in hand so I had to continually reach out to them for feedback. They got back to me at the last minute with an offer. When I started the job, I was informed that I had been placed in a different role than the one I had interviewed for - I was not consulted on this change in role. I thought that this was very unprofessional.

Interview Questions

• A question about flip-flops - I was interviewing for an analog position so this was unexpected but I worked through the problem.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation allowed for a fresh graduate is what I was told. When I joined, I found out that this was not true and that I was very underpaid.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

I was rollover from Intern to Full Time, joined in 2004 unfortunately no joining bonus started with very low base salary.

Interview Questions

• Had few technical questions related to OP-AMP, Schmidt trigger, Interrupts etc. I didn't have formal interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Unfortunately I didn't negotiate.

Engineer Interview

Interview

I had an interview which went on for a while. It was not that difficult. The people who interviewed me were really nice. The interview was for internship. After I was done with the internship, I got an offer for full-time but even that required some rounds of interviews which I managed to crack.

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate at all

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

Interview process was very quick in my case and to the point.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to answer a lot of puzzle questions and one of them was the Dinning Philosophers problem. Answering the question was no problem but i had to provide analysis on the answer which was a little tricky.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very short. I'd recommend negotiating esp if you are assigned as a contract since the consultant ends up making more money than you do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA).

Interview

It is difficult to break into the hiring process at Qualcomm because so many people apply. The best ways to improve your chance of getting hired: try to get an internship while you are still in college. They offer many opportunities for engineering interns, and the experience will help you no matter where you go after college. If not a new grad, be sure the key words in your resume are the right kind for the job you want. Prepare extremely well for the interview process. You will likely talk to 6 to 8 people, and will likely be called back for another round before being hired. Because it is a large company with many positions hiring, the process is cumbersome and can take far longer than you think it should. Do your best to get business cards or at least the full names of the people who speak with you. Send thank you notes after the interview, by paper or email, and it is OK to inquire a week or two later to the HR representative about how the process is going. You can also ask where they are in the process while you are interviewing. You will interview with people from more than one department, and will get technical questions and experience/personality questions. If you are an electrical engineer, you should be able to describe basic circuits, and may get some very in depth questions, so brush up on what you should know as an engineer in your field! Learn something about Qualcomm technology so that you can ask good questions. Any engineering interviewee will get some technical probing. Know as much as possible about what Qualcomm does, how CDMA works, what kinds of technologies are used to make Qualcomm products and where Qualcomm products are used. If you have some work experience already, emphasize what you have accomplished and what your role was in different projects at your current or previous jobs. You want to sound like someone who can be cooperative, creative, hard-working, take initiative, have good judgement, solve problems, keep company goals in mind, etc. Think about how to describe how you have done these things in detail before you go for the interview. Some people at Qualcomm are very detailed interviewers with lots of interviewing experience, so expect it and be prepared. You will not likely be given a personality test, drug test, or IQ test of any kind.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult questions will be probing of previous experiences and where you have shown leadership. This is a company that wants to hire leaders at every level. Know what you will say when asked what your areas of least and greatest strength are. The best type of weakness or least strength can be something that is actually a strength, it depends how you word it :) For example, "I don't have patience sometimes when people say they will do something and then they don't do it." Your are saying impatience is a weakness, but really you are showing that you are the type of person who does what he says he will do and expects the same from others.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Not a huge amount of negotiation possible, but a few thousand can be gotten.

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

This interview is terrible. The interviewer called me 15 minutes before the scheduled time, and I was not at the phone. When I called back, he didn't know what to say and it became so embarrassing. Actually, I didn't even remember when do I applied for such a position and I got a phone interview...

The interviewer kept asking me low-level hardware debugging questions, such as "what is CPU exception/what is system call"...

I was applying for software development positions, but this group did major hardware debugging, which is rather challenging. I think this is the major reason they rejected me, but I am also wondering why they selected me for an interview...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

A full day of interviewing. 6 people and each got 45min. Asked all technical questions. Some questions were tough so I started telling the interviewers my thought processes regarding how I would approach the problem.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiating on my part. I am pleased with the offer and accepted

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Qualcomm (San Diego, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

Initial phone interview was very basic and relatively short (30 mins). Questions ranged from basic EE 101 type to synthesis issues. It was NOT by the hiring manager but another engineers in the hiring team.

Interview Questions

• Setup and hold time questions. Add inverters on the clock path, etc.   1 Answer

Negotiation

My staffing specialist didn't try to really negotiate. I knew what QC had offered another candidate a week before with identical qualifications and job description. When asked, the high end of the salary for the staff engineer, she said it was way above and quoted $30k less. I asked about benefits, etc., and said in between the two numbers was acceptable.