Qualcomm

Average Difficulty
5 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details – Apply on the website, make sure your plaintext resume is readable. Took them about 4-6 weeks to get back to me with a phone screening. I spoke with one of the directors of engineering. He was very nice/sincere and technically apt. Questions were pretty basic about IP3, smith chart, vswr, and how you would make measurements in a lab.

The on-site interview consists of 5 technical interviews about an hour each. Almost every interview asked to draw a RF front end architecture and draw/explain how a phase lock loop works. Expect questions about constellations, eye diagrams, RF design challenges, IP3, p1dB, smith chart, amp class biasing, analog RF filters (be perpared to draw elliptic, cheby, butterworth, etc), noise figure, etc. There are some esoteric terms which I was unfamiliar with such as gamma opt(optimum matching coefficient) and beta for FM (modulation index for FM). You really need to be able to answer questions on ALL of these topics. I'd say I aced 4 of the 5 interviews and did okay on one and wasn't offered a job, so make sure you know everything I just described inside and out.

There are no behavioral or situational questions. They seem to only care about what you know and not whether you'll be easy to work with. This is a bit disconcerting for people such as myself who have worked on a design team before and know the challenges of working with stubborn engineers.

Interview Question – Be prepared to talk about stochastic probability density functions as they relate to signal theory.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in May 2012.

Interview Details – I apply for the job and I received an e-mail for a phone interview 1 week after applying. The phone interview was with an engineer. It was about things on my resume, and questions about receiver, transmitter, key parameters of LNA, PA, explain each, why we use LNA, why we should be in IF, mixers, antennas. She also ask me lab test equipment I used. I passed the phone interview and had the on-site interview with 5 managers and my recruiter. The MOST important things you MUST know are Smith chart, IP3 and PLL. They all asked me questions about that, and also on filters, SAW, BAW technology. You should also be able to talk about the projects mentioned on your resume. I didn't get an offer because I wasn't ready for the interview, but I learnt a lot.

Interview Question – Directions I should give to design engineers: where to put each components (filters, mixers, LNA etc) of the transceiver, and why. What kind of filter I should use, why?   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in May 2012.

Interview Details – The initial process of the interviews were very planned and organized. There were total of 6 interviews.. with 1 telephonic screening interview and 5 onsite face to face interviews and i was interviewing for entry-level position. They directly went into technical stuff. And the interviews were are scenario based. like i am facing this issue what is the problem and how can it be resolved. Qualcomm is well known for its tough interviews.

Interview Questions

• Asked me design a multimode/multiband transceiver.   Answer Question
  • questions regarding Smith charts, IIP3, cascaded NF. Issues with superheterodyne and direct conversion mixers   Answer Question

Hardware Engineer RF Interview

Hardware Engineer RF
San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in April 2012.

Interview Details – It's take an hour for interview. The question includes several field about telecommunications including hardware and system.

Interview Questions

• opAmp, MOS, Smith Chart matching, AM,, bode plot, basic small signal analysis, stability of circuit...   Answer Question
  • System of communication form TX to RX, detail and why?   Answer Question

Boulder, CO

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Qualcomm in November 2011.

Interview Details – I interviewed for a half day with a manager and 4 engineers.

The manager worked hard to sell me on the position.

The engineers spoke with me about what I've done, what they do, and we talked some technical issues so they could assess my understanding of the skills required to be successful in the job.

It was a long, but enjoyable, day

Interview Questions

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!