Qualcomm

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone interview with human resources coordinator
2 phone interviews with hiring manager
In-person interview with a staffing specialist to begin the on-site interview process
In-person interview (panel style with 4 directors, 1 manager, 1 VP); lasted 1 hour; informal in nature

Interview Question – Started inview asking if I had any questions
Pop-psychology questions were strange
  Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Verification Engineer

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details – This was an interview for a contract position. An hour long technical phone interview was set up in very short time. The interviewer called the specified time, he was prompt. Mainly discussed the resume and go over past projects.

Interview Question – Covered the resume.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Qualcomm in April 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online, received an email to schedule a phone interview, and the manager I worked for was the one who phone interviewed and hired me. I had other offer deadlines approaching, so I called him back the next day and asked if the decision could be made quickly. The next morning, I got the call getting the position.

Interview Question – Extremely easy interview, asked basic programming concepts such focusing on object oriented design (Describe OOP, what is a class, what is a mutex, etc.).   Answer Question

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, recruiter reached out, set up 2 phone interviews: first being knowledge-based questions about C, static variables, recursion, stack frame and function calls, efficiency of sort algorithms. Second phone interview was 2 coding questions: first was a strange bit shifting problem involving unsigned ints, second was one I had seen before involving linked lists.

Interview Question – Anything asked about C in the first interview.   View Answer

Analog RFIC Engineer Interview

Analog RFIC Engineer

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2014.

Interview Details – Notified by email, took several days to schedule phone interview.

The interviewer seems make no preparation at all and ask random questions:

1, Describe how the signal spectrum changes through receiver chain of Direct-Conversion Receiver and Heterodyne Receiver, and compare their advantages and disadvantages
2, Give the expression of wt of a MOSFET and derive its relationship with dimensions
3, Name the specs of receiver blocks: LNA, Mixer, VCO, etc

Interview Question – All basic RFIC and RF system concepts   Answer Question

Senior Hardware Engineer Interview

Senior Hardware Engineer
Santa Clara, CA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in May 2012.

Interview Details – There was a 1st screening which was very cordial and friendly. Subsequently I was invited to the santa clara office for an interview with the team, which was an excellent experience.

Interview Question – Explain how a duplexer works and impedance at each point. Very simple but did not know what the interviewer exactly wished to see.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Test Development Engineer Interview

Senior Test Development Engineer
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 6 months - interviewed at Qualcomm in April 2012.

Interview Details – Be thoroughly prepared. They will ask you everything about semiconductor device physics and all. Knowing programming languages will help. Answer what you are asked do not try to over impress the interviewer with irrelevant stuff. They pay you good salary and benefits hence they look for someone who is worth that. Even if 1 person does not like the candidate he/she will be rejected.

Interview Question – Since I am a technical guy the most difficult on for me is what are your strengths and weaknesses. I mentioned my technical strengths and weaknesses.   Answer Question

CR&D LTE Research Intern Interview

CR&D LTE Research Intern
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details – The process consisted of 2 rounds,a screening and a technical round.
The screening process was fairly simple,general discussion about background, such as tell em abut yourself. The interviewer discussed about the company in detail, and the responsibilities in this position.
The next round was technical, fundamental questions in digital communications, MIMO, channel coding, diversity, modulation

Interview Question – Very conceptual questions such as why source coding before channel coding?   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Senior Programmer Analyst Interview

Senior Programmer Analyst
San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in June 2010.

Interview Details – i applied for a 3 months contract position in IT as i was desparately looking for a job after my contract ended. i applied via indeed.com and got a call from HR within a week. it was pretty simple and HR took details like visa, desired hourly pay ,annual salary if i take full time job etc. Later HR communicated via email and set up my first technical interview over phone. i was interviewed for 30-40 min over phone by my manager on technical side. later i was communicated via email and second interview over phone was set up. even second interview was technical pretty much and some general question. it went on for around 20 min. since i was interviewed for temp position my interview was pretty cool and was over phone only. i was satisfied with how the interview went and as expected i was selected fpr the applied position. my consultancy employer stepped in after my interview process is completed and had to do corp to corp (due to visa ) .after salary negotiation i was confirmed for the position and had to join in 10 days. over all the interview process took around 3 weeks from the time i first applied to the joining date. i heard from my colleagues that full time interviews were pretty exhausting and length as it will be face to face only.

Interview Question – it was all technical stuff related to my job   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – not much room for negotiation

Product Test Engineer Interview

Product Test Engineer
Austin, TX

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details – This was one of the strangest (and worst) interviews I have ever had. I was initially contacted by a recruiter in Feb., and told they would contact me the next week. I didn't hear from them until late April, when I was contacted again by recruiting. I proceeded to do a phone interview with a hiring manager (who was apparently not the hiring manager for the actual position). That interview was composed of a few technical questions, and wasn't too difficult. All the questions were related to the job and my background. The job had been posted as being available in Austin or San Diego, and I inquired about the location. The hiring manager responded that he wasn't sure where the job would be located. The location was important to me because I live in Austin and am not willing to move to San Diego.

After that, I was invited to their Austin office for in-person interviews. I was told that there would be 4 hours of interviews, consisting of 4 people for 45 minutes each, and 1 HR person. I ended up interviewing with only 2 people and the HR person. The two people that I interviewed with apparently were not hiring managers (they really didn't take the time to explain who they were). Both of their interviews were 100% technical. The questions ranged from easy to difficult, although the difficulty would be relative depending on your experience and background. It seems they actually were not looking for a product/test engineer, but an analog test engineer. I don't have a lot of analog background, so those questions were difficult for me. Both interviewers acknowledged they realized it was not a big part of my background. Both also asked me if I was willing to move to San Diego, and I said I was not. The location of the position, it seems, was still up in the air. I was really surprised that neither of these people asked any behavioral questions at all, or even "Why do you want to work here?". One guy didn't even tell me his title until I managed to squeeze in a question about it. Speaking of which, they left no time at the end of the interview for me to ask any questions of my own. Not impressive.

After these two folks, I met with the HR person. After her, I was supposed to meet with the hiring manager. However, during my talk with her, the hiring manager notified her that he already thought that I wasn't a good fit, that I did not have the skill(s) they were looking for. All that without ever meeting me. At that point, I told her that was fine and we could end the process right then. To her credit, she felt bad and said that she felt it reflected badly on them (which it does).

What this tells me: 1) They hire for skills alone, not personality or character, or other traits. They don't care about one's ability to learn. They couldn't have cared less about me as a human being. I've always been of the opinion that skills can be taught, but character can't. 2) They were not very organized - they couldn't even decide where this position would be located, but were interviewing anyways. 3) By not giving me any time to ask my own questions, they let me know that they were not interested in finding a mutual fit - just in finding a body that had the skills they apparently needed.

Interview Question – Given an array of 10 numbers, all 0 or 1, write code to turn the 0's to -600 and the 1's to 600 without using any if/then or switch statements.   View Answers (3)

Interviews for Top Jobs at Qualcomm