Qualcomm

3.5

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Modems Systems Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm in July 2013.

First, I had a phone screen which lasted for an hour. It was basically on the wireless communication concepts like LTE, OFDM, channel access methods, Error correction and detection, fading concepts and digital communication concepts.

Then I was called for an onsite interview which had 7 rounds including HR.

Interview Questions
  • Have to know the basics very well. Digital communication and wireless communication concepts should be well understood.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Phone Interview:

Asked Questions on : CDMA basics operation, OFDM basic principle, Importance of orthogonaility in OFDM, How is Orthogonality achieved, Cyclic prefix in OFDM,
    MIMO basics, Antenna Diversity concept.

Most of the phone interviews are usually based on Resume. So be clear with all your projects mentioned.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm.

I applied for the position in mid August and got the invitation for the phone interview after a month. The phone interview lasted around 45 minutes. It was purely technical, covering all aspects of MIMO and OFDM. Make sure you know what you are taking about because they cover the concepts well in depth and throwing out buzz words might land you in trouble.
    The interviewer was very nice and explained about the position after the technical round.
    He offered me to come on site straightway. One important tip is to make sure you ask good questions about the position at the end.

On site interview process is very exhaustive and in depth. I had 8 rounds, one HR and 7 technical. All the interviewers were very nice, professional and supportive. The interview process covered all the basics of wireless communications including fading, modulation techniques, interleaving, source coding/channel coding, MIMO equalizers, fundamentals of TCP/IP, digital communications, signal processing and C programming (particularly pointers and linked lists)
    In between the interviews, they take you out for lunch. Make you you strike an intelligent conversation during that time and ask relevant questions.
    Also make sure you are very thorough with your resume as they can ask about any experience mentioned their.

Interview Questions
    • Take a random sequence of bits and perform source coding using Huffman code.
      Write an optimization function for a 4 way traffic intersection, where vehicles are coming in from all directions. [Hint: Think cars as client in need of service arriving at an arrival rate and traffic light as the server process with a service rate]
      Drive the bit error rate of BPSK.
      Write a regular expression in Perl to search for a string pattern.( this was unexpected since I had told them I did not know perl )
      How would you test a Modem if you get complaints from field about cell phones not working. Describe the test cases.

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in December 2011.

A phone interview that lasted 45 mins. The interview was on the basics of communication systems/DSP.

I was then called for an onsite interview that lasted an entire day. Over 6 interviews were held and most questions were centered on fundamentals of Signal Processing/Communication with a minor focus on programming. A lot of questions were on my projects

Interview Questions
    • I had a project on MIMO OFDM phase noise compensation. The question was how I could have implemented the same for a CDMA based system   Answer Question

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

This was such a horrible process and a waste of my time. HR contacted me for a phone interview and gave me the time and day I would have it, nobody end up calling me. Spoke to HR again and the person apologized and set up a new time and told me I would get an e-mail to confirm my interview, never received an e-mail, but the interviewer end up calling me unexpectedly not at the time I was assigned, and I was at work so I couldn't do the interview. Finally, HR got it right and I end up have a phone interview a couple weeks later.

This guy was not supposed to interview me, apparently the person who was supposed to interview me was busy. Initially it wasn't too bad he just asked me what projects I've done and what I do at work, which is easy enough. Then he started asking me what classes I've taken and questions on those classes, but he was correcting me on a lot of things I had been taught, and I told him that's what I was taught and he tried telling me I was taught wrong. It was very degrading and he was extremely offensive.

The worst part was after when he started drilling me on random EE concepts that I didn't know about, he would ask a question about a topic and if I said, "I'm not familiar with this concept" he would try to ask me further questions about the topic. If I don't know anything about a topic, why would you ask me further questions?

I couldn't understand him a lot of the time so I tried to do most of the talking by elaborating, but he was not 100% focused. I told him my digital filtering project (designing a Butterworth filter) and then about 5 minutes later he asked if I knew what a Butterworth filter is. Hello? Are you listening to me?

Interview Questions
    • Unexpected question was when he asked if I knew what a Butterworth was after having just explained it to him (in detail) about my project of designing a Butterworth filter.   View Answer

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

Had technical phone interview with qualcomm's staffing manager. It was an resume based interview. Interviewer asked me about my project, got a real-time situation question from the project, that what would happen if given some conditions. I had a question about jamming and anti-jamming. Then one question from probability and unions. And one question in selective frequency fading.

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

It was a day long interview. Started with an HR round followed by six technical rounds. They interviewers were really kind and encouraging. Since I come from a Wireless Communications background, most of the questions were related to communications and networks.

Interview Questions
    • Few questions are :
      - Basic communication block diagram and then going in-depth about each block
      - Types of fading and methods to combat
      - Modulation techniques
      - CDMA concepts like handover, power control - why is it used ?
      - OFDM concepts, how is cyclic prefix done ?
      - TCP / IP
      - Some basic socket programming
      - Puzzles (Not math ones) Just on the spot thinking kinda puzzles
      - Rake receivers
      - Why Rayleigh fading ? ?

Answer Question

Modem Systems Test Engineer Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in February 2012.

Asked about 4G LTE technology, MIMO, basics of DSP z-transform, AWGN channel, OFDM. If you are perfect in these areas it is easy to ace the interview. Be perfect with LTE technology.