Qualcomm

Updated Feb 19, 2015

3.1

RF Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm in January 2015.

I applied to a talent pool position (meaning that your profile is in the system and once there is an opening, hiring managers your profile in hand). So, I did not hear from them in months. Once there was a position available, they contacted me through e-mail to setup a phone interview with one of the hiring managers. Then after that, we proceeded for a second phone interview with another hiring manager. Both interviews were not too technical and went really well as far as I could tell. Next, I was awaiting for further instructions to move on the the next step (in person interview). To my surprise a week later they contacted me saying that: "while they were impressed with my background and qualifications, they regret that they will not be pursuing employment opportunities with me at the time". I sent an e-mail back asking for feedback (because I was really curious to know what I did wrong or where I could improve) and I never heard back from them. In all honesty, I know how hard it is to get into that company so I was happy to be considered for the position in the first place.

Summer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in November 2013.

Two phone interviews: one with my mentor and the other one with a senior engineer in the team.
    I worked with both mostly during my internship. They have asked questions based on my resume, regarding problem definitions, algorithms, future works and so forth. Each interview was for 30-45 min. One right after the other.

Interview Questions
    • They basically went through my resume and told me to explain for the ones matching technical skills and experiences required to perform their project.   View Answer
    I didn't negotiated.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in March 2010.

C language questions. You don't have to write the best possible solution but demonstrate that your approach is reasonable then yo can get through. Its not as hard as getting into software companies in SF bay area.

Interview Questions
    • some folks as puzzles but mostly it is C language and OS fundamentals   Answer Question

Senior Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in November 2014.

This is a position in Qualcomm Ventures. My background was great for the position. It took 2 weeks from initial contact to first phone interview with the Finance Manager. The questions were all behavioral and not sure if my answers exactly fit what they wanted. Got call for second phone interview a week later with the person who referred me initially. The second call was just mostly me asking questions. I asked a ton of questions, and not sure if they did not like some of my questions. I did not get the job, was informed a week after the second call. I asked the employee who referred me for feedback, but no answer.

Custom Circuit Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in September 2014.

Interview was planned in systematic manner. Three dates were given as choice for personal interview. Total of 6 interviews in a day including 1 HR personnel and remaining team.

Interview Questions
    • How would you design your own synthesis tool ?   View Answer

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in October 2010.

Phone interview followed by on-site interview. Phone interview was for an hr or so. On site interview was conducted by 7-8 people with detailed circuit related questions. Be prepared for going to the drawing board and answering detailed circuit questions. Some equations/derivations expected.

Interview Questions
    • smitch chart impedance matching problem over the phone.   Answer Question
    Negotiated on the offer a little bit. Not much wiggle room.

Systems Software Test Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in June 2010.

these guys love Perl and Python and C. Make sure you prepare that. very text book interviews, the interviewers have probably worked at Qualcomm all their lives , so all they know or want you to know is the stuff they work on..which is scripts in perl or python or programming in C. Many are open source lovers so linux helps and please do yourself a favour and learn CDMA even if you have never used it before.

Interview Questions
    • Writing PERL scripts on the spot on paper or board. formatting is something you are assumed to know..no using google :(   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Qualcomm in February 2014.

For me the hiring process involved only two phone calls. I was contacted by a recruiter and I scheduled my interview to be taken two days later. The first call was a technical one which asked me concepts of Operating systems, algorithms and networking. The call lasted for more than 45 minutes although it should end in 30 minutes. The second call was a mix of HR questions and technical questions. One week after the call only, they were impressed and offered me to come on board.

Interview Questions
    • In the second phone call I was asked to name my favorite language for programming, which I gave as C. So followup on that question, the person asked me to give solution so that when they write programs for like adding numbers, they should provide generic datatype, and it should support future datatypes which may be introduced later. For that I had taken almost 15 minutes and thought I would not be able to pass that.   View Answer
    No I was not able to negotiate as they had strict policy to give same benefits to each and every intern.

Software Engineer/Compiler Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

I had phone interviews with two different managers, both lasted about an hour. Phone interview was based on my PhD thesis, basic compiler theory and basic C++. Then I was called for an on-site interview at San Diego. I had to give a talk in front of the interview panel. Then I met 5 managers, including 1 lunch interview. Finally met the HR which was just about overall experience, expected salary etc.

The 1:1 interviews were mixed. They did not look very prepared or organized. I had to switch between rooms for one 1:1. One interviewer seemed bored and uninterested, working on other stuff while I was answering questions. He/she also assumed I am from a specific country which I am not. This interviewer looked very unprofessional to me. The lunch interviews are awkward and IMHO a bad idea. My final two went exceptionally well. The director was nice and encouraging. But I got no offer at the end, which was expected given the majority of my interviews were not great.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in June 2013.

Interview process consists of two steps - phone screening and on-site interview. Phone screen was performed by two people and each session was 30 mins long. Primary objective of phone screen was resume review and verifying whether the person knows what they claim on their resume. Phone screen was done by engineers and all their questions were pertaining to my resume only.

Onsite interview process started with the HR email asking for possible interview dates. Once the dates are finalized the travel arrangements are managed by Balboa travels and they help book accommodation, rental car and flight tickets.

The on-site interview started with HR representative. Basically discussed about my resume, salary expectations and relocation assistance. This was followed by interviews by folks from management level - Director or Senior Director. Discussion was primarily about cellular communication and the difficulties in designing software for cellular base station. This was followed by a lunch break which was handled by an engineer. He talked to me about how a day looks like in Qualcomm and explained about the various perks offered by the company. After lunch i had two intensive technical interview session. All questions were about C programming and embedded software design. Emphasis was on function pointers and writing code with minimal memory footprint.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to sorting - stable or unstable sorting.   View Answer

The start date required by the team was well before my course completion date.