Qualcomm Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA

Updated Jun 17, 2015

3.4

DSP Firmware Engineer (Wireless Modem) Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

The HR took 2 weeks to schedule the first phone interview. The interviewer asked about my background, academic projects and past internships. Then asked basic technical questions about computer architecture, basic DSP, and few C questions. I fumbled and did not get any further interviews.

Interview Questions

• Swap two numbers without using a temporary variable   1 Answer

Software Engineer, GPS Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2010.

Interview

HR manager in San Diego asked for schedule - days I would be available for 1:1 interviews with ~5 people. It took about 10 days for him to get back to me with the date.
    On the day of interview I had 5 1:1 interviews. All interviewers were friendly, fair and I had a good impression about the company and people there. Interview process took ~6 hours, they took me to the lunch between sessions.
    Next day I had another interview with an interviewer who telecommutes.
    Interview was very technical, detailed and no-one asked me any "tricky questions", only stuff related to work and knowledge of related topics.

Interview Questions

• How would you represent sparse matrix?   1 Answer
    • How do you determine which GPS SV is healthy   1 Answer
    • what is priority inversion, how does it happen in RTOS   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

first a phone interview; if you clear that you are called for a day long one on one interview where you will be interviewing with the team members you will be working with

Interview Questions

• how to swap big endian and little endian?   4 Answers

Negotiation

Just ask for more money and more bonus with HR before accepting the offer.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I was referred after attending a talk and asking the speaker for open positions. The speaker forwarded my resume to the BARD team in Santa Clara. A phone interview was set up quickly after that.
    The phone interview was only about my research - what my PhD dissertation is about, how long it took me to implement some features, how much code I had to write.

No additional technical questions.

Interview Questions

• What part of the compiler toolchain did you use to implement your optimizations? How much code did you have to add?   Answer Question

DSP Firmware Engineer Wireless Modem Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2010.

Interview

The interview started by asking me about the graduate research that i was doing currently. Then it went on to my previous work experience. Then technical qtns for OFDM, Wideband channels etc. They asked me simple C qtns. One algorithm qtn & one puzzle type qtn. The interviewer was very professional & disciplined.
    It was very good experience. Have received a call for onsite interview.

Interview Questions

• Given 2 32 bit numbers, how do u multiply them using 8bit multipliers?   1 Answer
    • Given 25 red balls & 25 blue balls. Arrange them in 2 bowls such that when a ball is picked randomly from one of bowls, the probability of picking red ball is maximum??   1 Answer
    • qtns abt OFDM, qtns abt cyclic prefix, qtns abt wideband channel, qtns abt block convolution: overlap save   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview.Phone interview consisted of questions related to my previous work experience,basic C questions and OS related questions.They got back to me in a weeks time and scheduled an onsite interview.In the onsite interview I was asked C programming questions.They showed me pieces of C code and asked me to figure out the problems with it.Asked me platform related questions, endianness,OS concepts like mutual exclusion,etc. I found some of the interviewers to be less than engaged in the interview process.

Interview Questions

• How would you implement dynamic memory allocation without using malloc?   1 Answer

Staff Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

1 hr interview. Questions on the subject of RTOS, Data Structures and C++ logic programming. There were 2 questions towards the end of the interview where I was asked to code and read it out

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in July 2010.

Interview

Phone screen with HR. 1:1 interview first round. full day interview second round. Phone interview with HR again for compensation. Workplace environment seems chaotic and unorganized. Interviewers are generally not interested in the process and are ill prepared to pose their questions. People seem overworked and disoriented.

Interview Questions

• Design FSM for some problems   1 Answer

Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Was contacted and asked to meet one person. Subsequently went in spent most of a day meeting 5 people.

Their interview process seems to be structured for someone who is not very senior. They ask a lot of very basic questions on digital design, DSP, communications.

Found that most of the interviewers had a lot less experience and so their perspective is very limited. Out of the 6 people met, in total three seemed to adapt to the level of the person being interviewed while the others stuck to the type of questioning for a mid to junior level person and not the type of interview someone with more than 2 decades of experience would expect. Some of them did not seem to understand the topics they were asking questions on and failed to understand things when alternate solutions were proposed or it was pointed out what they were saying is incorrect.. Sent one of them excerpts from text books subsequently.

For a senior person, I woud have expected them to discuss past work experience, and get into technical discussions of past projects and how it relates to what they do, chip architecture, etc. They stuck to mostly simple questions such as synchronization, FIFOS, state machines, C syntax, PERL syntax, etc. Only two or three of them seemed to a have broader perspective, the rest seemed to be run of the mill with no idea as to how conduct a proper interview.

Physical Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Took 2 weeks to set up phone interview set up, no call, waited waited waited. Setup a new one 1 week later. On-site interview set up in 3weeks. Took 3more weeks to get to know that offer was on the way. Took 2 weeks after that for the offer to finally land up. EXTREMELY slow hiring process. Took 3months from resume sent to offer.

Interview Questions

I had got 2 offers by the time this offer can through and I could not delay the offers.