Qualcomm

Updated Aug 18, 2014

3.5

16 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

The Interviews were not easy, not difficult. Some standard programming questions like DFS, BFS, etc. If you have prepared for other companies, this one will be an easy pass.

I think the most problematic part of the interview process was the salary negotiation. I had a good offer from their competitors and the team was not even close to that figure. They didn't increase a single $ after me informing them about the salary figures. I was very interested in their work, but they gave me such a bad offer which I couldn't accept in any case.

Also, I think the overall company is gone weird especially the HR. I submitted a reimbursement and 3 months later they send me a check with $50 deducted explaining no reason. The interview reimbursement was within the range that they told me and was < $200 for three days of interview. The HR has lost its way. I am sure others will face the same after they get an offer.

I would rate the entire process as very poor.

Compensation was bad.

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Qualcomm.

joined full time from consulting - not much to discuss.
    most of the question are related to Networking and Wi-Fi
     asked basic programming concepts and extensive questions on previous projects

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in February 2014.

This interview was for a computer vision engineer and I worked with the HR department to schedule a phone interview.

The phone interviewer asked me about LoG function, Corner Detection and time complexities of the same. He seemed very capable and accomplished from his knowledge.

I was invited for an onsite interview and I had five rounds of onsite interview including a lunch interview.

Round 1: Hard interview with a principal engineer who knew his stuff. He asked questions about OpenGL, OpenCV, Homography, SIFT in gory detail.
    Round 2: I spoke a little about myself and then I was asked to develop algorithm and code to find index of a number in a 2D array which was sorted in ascending order both horizontally and vertically.
    Round 3: Lunch interview - a lot of questions about OO design, I was asked to print numbers in hexadecimal, I was asked about overhead of a class (including methods).
    Round 4: The hiring team lead asked a bunch of behavioral questions. Then he asked a couple of easy questions. One to twiddle nibbles in a number, another to insert a string within another.
    Round 5: The last interview was on computer vision and I was asked about RANSAC, k-d tree, SIFT, homography etc.

On rounds 2, 4 and 5 I explained about my PhD topic the other interviewers were not interested much.

Interview Questions
    • How do you calibrate a camera to find extrinsic parameters?   Answer Question
    I negotiated on the salary and got what I expected. I would recommend candidates to negotiate much more.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in June 2013.

Interview process consists of two steps - phone screening and on-site interview. Phone screen was performed by two people and each session was 30 mins long. Primary objective of phone screen was resume review and verifying whether the person knows what they claim on their resume. Phone screen was done by engineers and all their questions were pertaining to my resume only.

Onsite interview process started with the HR email asking for possible interview dates. Once the dates are finalized the travel arrangements are managed by Balboa travels and they help book accommodation, rental car and flight tickets.

The on-site interview started with HR representative. Basically discussed about my resume, salary expectations and relocation assistance. This was followed by interviews by folks from management level - Director or Senior Director. Discussion was primarily about cellular communication and the difficulties in designing software for cellular base station. This was followed by a lunch break which was handled by an engineer. He talked to me about how a day looks like in Qualcomm and explained about the various perks offered by the company. After lunch i had two intensive technical interview session. All questions were about C programming and embedded software design. Emphasis was on function pointers and writing code with minimal memory footprint.

Interview Questions
    • Questions related to sorting - stable or unstable sorting.   View Answer

The start date required by the team was well before my course completion date.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in September 2012.

One phone interview, then 2 weeks later, an invitation for an onsite interview (2 weeks after that) for all of QCT SW department, to be considered for all open positions (about 80 at the time). Interview onsite with HR, then 6 engineers, one of whom was a director.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were all pretty easy. A few of them asked the same question: Write C code to compute fibonacci series.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in July 2012.

This took several weeks to complete. Qualcomm reached out to me for a position I had applied for three months earlier. After a phone screening I was invited to an all-day onsite interview. Unfortunately, being Summer, rounding up all the participants was hard due to vacations.

It was three weeks before I had my onsite meeting. It was another 2 weeks until I got the results.

Aside from the time issue, it was a very good interview process. I enjoyed all the individuals, and got a favorable review according to the HR rep. Unfortunately another applicant had more direct experience than I did.

Interview Questions
    • Write a routine to find the square root of a number. Then make it faster.   View Answers (2)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

The process took a dayinterviewed at Qualcomm in April 2012.

the interview took 45 minutes and was focused on resume and basics

Interview Questions
    • what is a volatile keyword   View Answer
    • if the chance of winning first game is 10%, second is 15% and third is 45%, what is the probabilty of winning three matches   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in March 2012.

Most questions were on C++ . Some questions were tricky

Interview Questions
    • The question was related to binary tree. Do not remember details, was a while ago, but remember that it was very difficult to answer unless you have seen the solution.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm in July 2011.

8 rounds + 1 Telephonic interview

Each round ~= 1 hour

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Diego, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Qualcomm in February 2011.

After submitting my resume through their website, I received an invitation to interview with Qualcomm in San Diego. Initially, I had 2 phone screens, which were quite detailed and difficult. I was asked to submit code by email within 10 minutes after the phone screen. After that, I was invited to interview in San Diego. I interviewed in the graphics hardware simulation team.

The face-to-face interviews started with a talk with a HR person and after that came about 8 technical interviews with staff. Some of the 'technical' interviews were just chat and I don't really know what to think of that.

Other interviews were somewhat technical, with questions about bit manipulations, linked lists and CUDA. Two interviews I remember in particular. One with a senior staff engineer in research with limited English skills whose questions were very vague and impossible to answer. Another one was with a lady working on glsl who asked some very detailed api questions on glsl, which I found quite unfair. Memorizing very specific api functions and keywords does not tell anything about someone's skills. I guess those were the two people 'voting' against me. And two 'no's' appears to be enough not to be hired these days.

My pro's of Qualcomm are:
    - Overall friendly people
    - Beautiful location in San Diego
    - Fairly good salary and benefits offered

My con's of Qualcomm are:
    - Interview questions seemed rather arbitrary and not relevant for making a hiring decision
    - Interviewers did not seem to be well prepared and did not seem very enthusiastic.
    - The chat interviews were just useless
    - Qualcomm is ethnically not very diverse and the limited knowledge of English of the interviewers hindered
       the interview procedure a lot
    - Qualcomm is not honest. Although there were a lot of job openings on their website, during the interview I
       was told by the hr person and an interviewer that the position I was interviewing for was one of the few
      open positions.
    - Some of the interviewers, like the two I mentioned above, seemed to make it impossible to leave a good
       impression. It is regrettable that Qualcomm bases it's hiring decision on employees that apparently have
      their own agenda and for some reason don't want their team to expand.
    - The phone screens were much more difficult than the on-site interviews. It didn't make sense to come to
      San Diego for a day of additional 'technical' interviews.

Although I know I would have been up to the job perfectly and I do regret losing this chance of being able to move to California, I realize that there would have been a cultural mismatch between members of the graphics hardware simulation team and myself. In addition, mobile gpu's are very limited in what they can do and I know I would have been missing all the good things that desktop gpu's have to offer sooner or later.