Qualcomm

www.qualcomm.com

Qualcomm Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions & Reviews in San Diego, CA

Updated Jun 18, 2014

Average Difficulty
14 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in February 2014.

Interview Details – This interview was for a computer vision engineer and I worked with the HR department to schedule a phone interview.

The phone interviewer asked me about LoG function, Corner Detection and time complexities of the same. He seemed very capable and accomplished from his knowledge.

I was invited for an onsite interview and I had five rounds of onsite interview including a lunch interview.

Round 1: Hard interview with a principal engineer who knew his stuff. He asked questions about OpenGL, OpenCV, Homography, SIFT in gory detail.
Round 2: I spoke a little about myself and then I was asked to develop algorithm and code to find index of a number in a 2D array which was sorted in ascending order both horizontally and vertically.
Round 3: Lunch interview - a lot of questions about OO design, I was asked to print numbers in hexadecimal, I was asked about overhead of a class (including methods).
Round 4: The hiring team lead asked a bunch of behavioral questions. Then he asked a couple of easy questions. One to twiddle nibbles in a number, another to insert a string within another.
Round 5: The last interview was on computer vision and I was asked about RANSAC, k-d tree, SIFT, homography etc.

On rounds 2, 4 and 5 I explained about my PhD topic the other interviewers were not interested much.

Interview Question – How do you calibrate a camera to find extrinsic parameters?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I negotiated on the salary and got what I expected. I would recommend candidates to negotiate much more.

San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview Details – joined full time from consulting - not much to discuss.
most of the question are related to Networking and Wi-Fi
 asked basic programming concepts and extensive questions on previous projects

Interview Question – more question on TCP layer and routing algorithms   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2010.

Interview Details – I had a telephonic interview for internship with the group. A second phone interview followed. The group was still small and the manager contacted me directly. The questions were all on the hard ware side and dealt with computer architecture including data hazards (RAW, WAR, WAR), CPU pipeline etc.

Interview Question – CPU pipeline stages and a question related to specific scenarios involving data hazards.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Qualcomm in July 2011.

Interview Details – 8 rounds + 1 Telephonic interview

Each round ~= 1 hour

Interview Question – Bit-wise operations   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in September 2012.

Interview Details – One phone interview, then 2 weeks later, an invitation for an onsite interview (2 weeks after that) for all of QCT SW department, to be considered for all open positions (about 80 at the time). Interview onsite with HR, then 6 engineers, one of whom was a director.

Interview Question – The questions were all pretty easy. A few of them asked the same question: Write C code to compute fibonacci series.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in July 2012.

Interview Details – This took several weeks to complete. Qualcomm reached out to me for a position I had applied for three months earlier. After a phone screening I was invited to an all-day onsite interview. Unfortunately, being Summer, rounding up all the participants was hard due to vacations.

It was three weeks before I had my onsite meeting. It was another 2 weeks until I got the results.

Aside from the time issue, it was a very good interview process. I enjoyed all the individuals, and got a favorable review according to the HR rep. Unfortunately another applicant had more direct experience than I did.

Interview Question – Write a routine to find the square root of a number. Then make it faster.   View Answers (2)

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Qualcomm in March 2012.

Interview Details – Most questions were on C++ . Some questions were tricky

Interview Question – The question was related to binary tree. Do not remember details, was a while ago, but remember that it was very difficult to answer unless you have seen the solution.   Answer Question

San Diego, CA

The process took a day - interviewed at Qualcomm in April 2012.

Interview Details – the interview took 45 minutes and was focused on resume and basics

Interview Questions

• what is a volatile keyword   View Answer
  • if the chance of winning first game is 10%, second is 15% and third is 45%, what is the probabilty of winning three matches   View Answer

San Diego, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Qualcomm in February 2011.

Interview Details – After submitting my resume through their website, I received an invitation to interview with Qualcomm in San Diego. Initially, I had 2 phone screens, which were quite detailed and difficult. I was asked to submit code by email within 10 minutes after the phone screen. After that, I was invited to interview in San Diego. I interviewed in the graphics hardware simulation team.

The face-to-face interviews started with a talk with a HR person and after that came about 8 technical interviews with staff. Some of the 'technical' interviews were just chat and I don't really know what to think of that.

Other interviews were somewhat technical, with questions about bit manipulations, linked lists and CUDA. Two interviews I remember in particular. One with a senior staff engineer in research with limited English skills whose questions were very vague and impossible to answer. Another one was with a lady working on glsl who asked some very detailed api questions on glsl, which I found quite unfair. Memorizing very specific api functions and keywords does not tell anything about someone's skills. I guess those were the two people 'voting' against me. And two 'no's' appears to be enough not to be hired these days.

My pro's of Qualcomm are:
- Overall friendly people
- Beautiful location in San Diego
- Fairly good salary and benefits offered

My con's of Qualcomm are:
- Interview questions seemed rather arbitrary and not relevant for making a hiring decision
- Interviewers did not seem to be well prepared and did not seem very enthusiastic.
- The chat interviews were just useless
- Qualcomm is ethnically not very diverse and the limited knowledge of English of the interviewers hindered
   the interview procedure a lot
- Qualcomm is not honest. Although there were a lot of job openings on their website, during the interview I
   was told by the hr person and an interviewer that the position I was interviewing for was one of the few
  open positions.
- Some of the interviewers, like the two I mentioned above, seemed to make it impossible to leave a good
   impression. It is regrettable that Qualcomm bases it's hiring decision on employees that apparently have
  their own agenda and for some reason don't want their team to expand.
- The phone screens were much more difficult than the on-site interviews. It didn't make sense to come to
  San Diego for a day of additional 'technical' interviews.

Although I know I would have been up to the job perfectly and I do regret losing this chance of being able to move to California, I realize that there would have been a cultural mismatch between members of the graphics hardware simulation team and myself. In addition, mobile gpu's are very limited in what they can do and I know I would have been missing all the good things that desktop gpu's have to offer sooner or later.

Interview Questions

San Diego, CA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Qualcomm in November 2010.

Interview Details – The hiring process takes a very long time which can be a bit frustrating.. The interview process was challenging but a lot of fun. About a month after submitting my resume I got an email to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was just to see if I was worth bringing in for onsite interviews (which are very intense). I had my onsite interviews the following week and talked to 6 different people, each interview took about an hour. All the interviewers were very nice and pleasant and very knowledgable. I was most impressed. 5 of the interviews were technical (well the lunch interview was just shooting the breeze about software with the interviewer) and the last one was with the HR recruiter. Lots of technial questions (as expected) but also questions about dealing with people and what I'm looking for in a job. They really want to see if you're a fit for the Qualcomm team above and beyond your technical skills. There were questions about C/C++, differences between C++ and Java, object oriented design questions, and some system design questions.

Interview Question – Write a C function to return the number of set bits in an integer.   View Answers (3)

Negotiation Details – No negotiation, very attractive first offer.

Worked for Qualcomm? Contribute to the Community!