Qualcomm Systems Engineering Interview Questions

Updated Dec 20, 2014

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in November 2014.

Interview

two phone interview. process took 4 weeks. in the phone interview i was asked about my resume and some technical questions. the phone interviews were relatively easy . then I was invited to onsite interview with 5 senior managers. I was not able to answer all the questions. the position was more optimization engineer.

Interview Questions

• coherent bandwidth, coherent time, pilot pollution, degree of uptilt downtilt, which is better qpsk or qam?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Qualcomm

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ monthsinterviewed at Qualcomm in July 2014.

Interview

Applied for a position. Six months later, a HR contacted me set up a next-day interview. Nice hiring manager. Five or six problems on the phone. Some basic communication theory questions. Including channel modeling, capacity calculation and channel characteristics. Kinda hard to catch the problems because of being nervous. But frankly speaking, those questions are not that hard.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

I applied online and had an in-person recommendation from someone who works at the company. They emailed me to do 2 rounds of technical phone interviews. The interviewers were really nice and helpful. The interviews were about the courses I took in graduate school (I am on my way to PhD by the way), about Probability, Detection/Estimation Theory, Wireless Communications and Signals and Systems. Most were basic things, like definitions of simple things like fading, stability of a filter and so on. I was asked to do some computations on detection in Gaussian channel like error probabilities and detection regions. I was also asked some brain teasers like coin weighing problems. Then I was asked to do an additional third round of interview with similar problems. All the interviewers were nice and helpful.

Interview Questions

• I more or less knew what the interview would be like, so there was no unexpected question. I guess the problem I had the most difficulty was the brainteaser, a coin weighing problem with faulty coins. You have N coins out of which one is heavier. How many uses of the scale do you need to find it? The second part, now you don't know if it is heavier or lighter. How many uses of the scale do you now need to do? Then you need to relate this to a problem in information and coding theory.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Since this is an internship, I don't think you can negotiate much. I just took the offer they gave me and the pay is pretty competitive.

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview

on campus

Systems Engineer Interview

Interview

First ask about the related research/project experiences. Then some basic questions in signal processing, probability, communication theory and information theory. Got stuck on one probability problem, but the interviewer is very patient and lead me to the correct thought gradually. Got the invitation for onsite interview one day later.

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Qualcomm (San Jose, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Got a phone interview that lasted for 1 hr, asked basic wlan questions. It was pretty positive so I was hoping for onsite. Scheduled onsite after a week and it went pretty smooth, 6 people interviewed. few coding questions covering data structures.

Systems Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm in February 2013.

Interview

After applying online I was contacted by the hiring manager for a phone interview.Phone interview consisted of questions related to my Resume and very basic questions about DSP (e.g. Up Sampling) and random variables!

Systems Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Qualcomm.

Interview

meet 5 people.

Interview Questions

• what's negative frequency? where can you find it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Bridgewater, NJ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualcomm (Bridgewater, NJ) in December 2012.

Interview

1 phone interview followed by on site interview

Interview Questions

• Rise, fall, and turn-off delays?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Qualcomm (Santa Clara, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

I had a phone interview. The interviewer was nice and tried to help my answers. The questions were basic and not so difficult to answer as listed below:
    1. Explain about your most recent work.
    2. How would you estimate the time of arrival of a waveform.
    3. Explain about coherent bandwidth
    and some more questions I do not remember now. Although my application was rejected immediately due to my poor answers, the interviewer gave me a lot of encouraging comments.

Interview Questions

• How would you estimate the time of arrival of a waveform.
      A desirable answer might be to say "apply correlator".

Answer Question