Qualtrics

Updated Nov 20, 2014

3.2

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Qualtrics.

I dropped off my resume at the career fair for my school. About two weeks later I was contacted by a recruiter and we scheduled a phone interview. The 1st phone interview went well and I was told that the recruiter would follow through by scheduling an interview with an engineer. I waited for a week then was contacted by a second recruiter who wanted to schedule an initial interview for a different position. I'm still not sure what happened in their process, but someone made a mistake and I decided to move onto a company that would value my time.

Interview Questions
    • I was only asked behavioral questions and questions regarding my resume.   Answer Question

Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Qualtrics.

Applied online, received an email from an address to which you can't reply. Strike one. So I reached out to the recruiter via phone, scheduled a phone interview.

The interview, I thought, went awesome. I was on point through the entire thing. I thought for sure I'd at least get a second interview. A couple days after, I received an automated 'no-reply' email dismissing my application. Strike two. These emails are a way to protect the recruiters from candidates, helps them hide behind their computer screens, fortifies their recruitment paradigm that suggests they just don't have enough time to send an email that took 20 seconds to compose. So, so busy.

I reached out to the recruiter for feedback. They had gone with candidates with more Saas experience. Then she included this odd refrain, "We feel that you have very valuable skills and we encourage you to pursue working hard and improving yourself." What does that even mean? Since when are recruiters in the business of offering advice? Improve myself? I wasn't aware that my moral inclinations, values, whatever were an element of consideration...

She encouraged me to apply for other positions. So I asked her about another open position I was interested in. Without hesitation, she said the same reason [not enough Saas experience] makes me unqualified for that position, as well. I was personally appalled at how quickly that determination was made. No additional dialogue to assess my fitness for that position. In my experience, when a recruiter behaves the way this girl did, there is usually a poorly informed - or illegal - reason for the disqualification.

I would encourage self-respecting candidates to go elsewhere. Other reviews echo these same ongoing recruitment issues. They are not in the business of talent acquisition. Rather, they are consumed with filling their ranks with their cronies. An organization that participates in such recruitment practices will never realize its full potential.

Interview Questions
    • I had a hard time answering when I was available for an interview due to the fact that the 'reply-to' email address was invalid.   Answer Question

Software Sales Representative Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at Qualtrics in November 2014.

First was a phone interview. Regular questions, nothing out of the ordinary. Then I was called in for a face to face interview on a Tuesday. I sat down with three managers, one at a time, and they asked me about my resume and job experience. I was told they were impressed with my qualifications and that if I was going on then they would contact me for a final interview on Friday. On Friday I received an email telling me I wasn't going further.

Client Success Team Member Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Qualtrics.

Met with a recruiter at an information session, and emailed my resume to the recruiter that evening. She got back to me the next day with interview times. I went through two interviews one week, then two more were scheduled for the next. I got a job offer about a week after the second set of interviews.

The disconcerting part about the interviews is you're placed in one of the company's meeting rooms (which have glass walls) to wait for your interviewers to come. I spent about 15 minutes (at least) waiting each time for a new interviewer to come. While I sort of liked the ability to look out and see the company and people hard at work, I did feel a bit like I was in the zoo, a creature to be observed an analyzed from the other side of glass.

The interviews themselves were great, basically each interviewer asked me about certain qualifications on my resume, told me about the position, and asked about my interest in it. I felt very relaxed and comfortable, and they were more like conversations than anything else. One of the four interviews is conducted by someone from a different department, just to check your fit with Qualtrics. Several questions involved scenarios with the customer.

Interview Questions
    • Say the customer asks for something, you go work with the developers to develop it, and bring it back to the customer. The customer says, "This is not what I was looking for at all, I was looking for xyz." What do you do?   Answer Question

While the culture is very collaborative, which seems awesome, there is an overall competitive atmosphere to the company. That is a great environment to some, but not for me.

Opportunity Development Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a weekinterviewed at Qualtrics.

Fairly straightforward, 5 hour total interview time over Skype. It was clear that management was in a rush to hire, hire, hire as the company grows. It was a little unorganized, which is fairly representative of the company (all attributed to the rapid change that's occurring as a result of growing so quickly). Fairly unprofessionally casual, but I didn't mind. Was told to wear a shirt and tie over Facetime, and I did. Could have easily worn a white t-shirt.

Interview Questions
    • There were no difficult or technical questions. Once they like you (you're being personable), it's more a conversation... and a persuasive one, at that.   Answer Question
    No negotiation...

Qualtrics University Interview

Contacted because of my profile on BYU Bridge, I had a very good interview. Unfortunately, the number one criteria seems to be GPA, and although the person I spoke with recommended me for the position, the Hiring Manager was not able to look past my GPA of 3.15. They were very clear about the reasons, at least, so there was no wondering why I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions
    • Fairly standard interview, emphasizing the ability to absorb technical information rapidly.   Answer Question

Panel Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Qualtrics in September 2014.

My buddy referred me to work at Qualtrics. Which guaranteed an initial assessment interview. The first interview was pretty typical and over the phone. They ask the typical interview questions and were very helpful to answer all of my questions.

The second set of interviews were onsite. They gave me the option to Skype or to meet in person. I chose to meet in person. The interview were great, I gained a greater appreciation for the company and greater excitement for the sales team. I felt my previous experience well equipped me to answer the questions and I thought I nailed it. Come to find out, that the interviewers didn't think I was excited enough. Which blew me away because I drove 10 hours for the interview. Understand that I do have a more reserved personality, though I wouldn't say in the least that I am an introvert.

My buddy help to convince them to interview me again. The next interview went very similarly. Not I have been playing the waiting game for nearly 2 weeks with no response. So I do not think I am going to get it.

I am frustrated that spite my awesome B2B sales experience, my confidence, and sacrifice, they were hiring for personality. Next time I will try and be more Spongebob and less myself.

Interview Questions
    • What is your biggest fear or hesitation about working at Qualtrics?   View Answer

Developer Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Qualtrics in July 2014.

Hiring process was pleasant enough. The first round of interviews was three one hour interviews back to back to back.

After I passed the first round of interviews the recruiter said "We are very interested," a few days later they cancel my second round interview and refuse to tell me anything.

Interview Questions
    • Just general programming questions. Asked me how I would recursively solve a feature like the fill bucket in MSFT paint   Answer Question

Sales Representative (Entry Level) Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Qualtrics.

My interview process only lasted two weeks. Mine started as a referral so once i sent in my Resume i got a call later that day to conduct a phone interview. Next, I came in to take a tour of their establishment, which following i was interviewed by a team lead, head of the Opportunity Sales Reps, and the Head of the VP Sales. After the interviews, I was told that i would know by the end of the week once they finished their meeting for the new hiring. It still is the beginning of the week so I don't know if i got the offer yet or not.

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Provo, UT

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Qualtrics.

I was contacted on LinkedIn by their tech recruiter. I initially had no interest in moving to Utah but the company looked very interesting after researching it. Seems to be in that stage where its about to break through to be a world wide brand. Which is typically the best time to join a company. I responded and we set up a phone interview the next day.

Recruiter phone interview: The first interview was by phone and with their tech recruiter. We basically talked about my overall experience briefly and then about a specific project I worked on. He asked a lot of questions to dig deeper about specifics and why we made certain decisions in the project. We then spent 20-30min talking about Utah, different areas in the area, and relocation in general (I'm in DC). I was concerned about the "culture" of Utah and he did a really good job explaining his previous perceptions on the area and how most of them are exaggerated. We then scheduled a time to do another phone interview with an engineer 2 days later.

Engineer phone interview: The second interview was by phone with a team lead. We talked about my technical experience and familiarity with specific technologies. There were a handful of behavioral questions and high level technical questions. He said the recruiter would get back in touch with me shortly after. I got an email about 20min after the interview asking me how it went on my end and that they wanted to do a 3 hour video interview with me.

Video Interview: This part was a bit weird to get used to. The interview is actually a little over 3 hours long. It started with 5min with the Recruiter to get set up. Overall I met with 6 engineers in sets of 2 for roughly an hour each. The first group tended to focus on my OO and design skills. The second was around database and database design. This was tough because I'm not a dba guy. The third group focused on coding problems. We used a web interface called Collabedit which I liked better than white boarding. I got to pick my language of choice and solve their riddles. The majority of the hour was spent on one problem and then they would through in different angles to it and question your decision making. The recruiter came back in at the end and explained I would hear from him after the team had a chance to share feedback. He reached out the next day and said he wanted to fly me in. I worked with an assistant on the flight details.

On-site visit: I flew in the night before my interview and I was scheduled for 2 days. My hotel was in Park City, which is about 30 minutes away from the Salt Lake airport and over 45min away from the Qualtrics office. I thought that was weird but Ive always wanted to go to Park City. I just wished it was still snowing. I was picked up by the recruiter the next morning who drove me to the office. Apparently he and a handful of employees live there. At the office I got a tour. It is a really cool office with lots of open space, kitchens, couches, no offices, conference rooms are glass so you can see in, engineering has a whole floor for just engineers, and yes, the dog from the video is actually running around in the office. However he doesn't really like to be pet. I met with the CTO. We spent about an hour together going over my background and through architectural discussions. Through his questions I was asked a lot of probing questions on decisions and why I made them. This is the company culture check to find out if your a good or bad fit. I then spent some time in a demo from one of the teams which was really cool. The recruiter drove me through the Provo and Orem area, then we drove up to Salt Lake and around some of the areas he said are the popular areas. We had a beer at a cool place in downtown Salt Lake proving you can get beer in Utah (this was a selling point for me) much a block away from the mormon temple. We drove up to Park City and had dinner on main street with a few employees that live there. I felt wined and dined which made me feel like I did well in the interviews. I had the entire next day to explore on my own and was put in touch with a real estate agent if I wanted to see some places to get a feel for the area. I thought that was cool but decided to drive around and check out areas myself. Having never been to Utah, it is bigger than I thought and really pretty with the mountains bearing down on you. Though I heard air quality is a concern in the winter.

Offer: The recruiter told me I wouldn't hear till after the upcoming friday. Apparently all candidates they want to make an offer to go through an executive committee who has the opportunity to veto a candidate. He called me that next friday to discuss the details of the offer. Unfortunately, my wife vetoed relocation after she told me she is expecting with our first. With all our family in the DC area, it would be tough to make the move with a little one. I wish they had a DC office.

Interview Questions
    • white elephant gift exchange where you can't give to the person who gave to you or to yourself.   Answer Question