Queen's University

Updated Oct 5, 2014
Updated Oct 5, 2014

2.3

Program Assistant Interview

Very concise interview, large breadth of questions ranging from questions about personal skills and knowledge of student affairs in general. However the interviewers were late for the Skype call. Lasted approximately 40 minutes.

Interview Questions
    • Interesting questions regarding co-worker conflicts in the past   Answer Question

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Was given an agenda upon arrival. I met with various faculty, speaking for about 30-45 mins about teaching and research interests. Had lunch with faculty and students.

No negotiation.

Graduate Student Interview

Contact with the supervisor first, match research interest and funding

Interview Questions
    • Future research direction, working with projects as extra working load   Answer Question

Applications Advisor Interview

Two rounds with two different committees

Interview Questions
    • we have all been declined for something in our life that we really wanted - how did it feel and how would you feel declining someone's application?   Answer Question

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Queen's University in February 2013.

Sending a CV to the potential supervisor or both after contacting to him/her by email. As everyone knows, it is very hard to get replies from professors so that you might need to ask your boss to contact to the professor otherwise they just ignore your email. After getting the response, you'll have an interview over Skype.

Residence Don Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Queen's University in January 2013.

The interview was pretty straight forward. I had my in person interview followed by my group interview on the same day. There were two interviewers and they asked basic interview questions related to working in residence (e.g. describe a time where you were inclusive of others).

The group interview was interesting. Essentially, they're looking to see how you interact with others and how you are able to communicate your views/opinions.

Interview Questions
    • How would you deal with conflict with your supervisor?   Answer Question

Console Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Queen's University.

very informal interview process, interviewer lacked any managerial skills - shouldn't have been in the position to conduct hiring

Science Graduate Student Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Queen's University in November 2012.

Sent emails to professors that you are interested in working with. Then I had phone interviews with them, and email conversations as well, followed by the visit. Finally, we need to think about whether or not to take this position after the visit, and whether professors were also happy to take you. If yes, then you are hired.

Interview Questions
    I stated what I would like to work with as a project in this group, my main interests.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Queen's University in March 2011.

You will be asked about our relevant experience and past experience. Questions about the project management, group conflicts, dealing with clients, working in teams and leadership experience. They took notes when you were talking. At the end you will have a chance to ask questions. The interviewer was really nice.

Interview Questions
    • Do you have leadership experience? Provide your example.   Answer Question

IT Testing Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Queen's University in June 2010.

Responded to Workoplis posting. Interview was scheduled. Interviewed with a group of people from various university departments and an external project manager. At the start of the interview the external project manager stated he did not feel this position was necessary which seemed strange. The other people interviewing asked relevant questions, listened to my answers and would ask follow-up questions as they saw fit. Their answers to my questions were polite and well thought out. With the exception of the external project manager's statement the tone of the interview was professional and polite while not being not overly formal.

I was contacted two weeks later and told the other candidate got the job. The reasons were strange as they felt I was more of a testing person and not a QA person, yet the job posting and questions were geared to the testing aspects of the position and QA was not mentioned once. I suspect an internal candidate got the job and I was used as a filler candidate to make the recruitment process seem fair.