Queen's University

Relevance Date Difficulty

Adjunct Faculty Interview

Adjunct Faculty

Interviewed at Queen's University

Interview Details – Was given an agenda upon arrival. I met with various faculty, speaking for about 30-45 mins about teaching and research interests. Had lunch with faculty and students.

Interview Question – How would you describe your teaching philosophy/style   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation.

Residence Don Interview

Residence Don

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Queen's University in January 2013.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty straight forward. I had my in person interview followed by my group interview on the same day. There were two interviewers and they asked basic interview questions related to working in residence (e.g. describe a time where you were inclusive of others).

The group interview was interesting. Essentially, they're looking to see how you interact with others and how you are able to communicate your views/opinions.

Interview Question – How would you deal with conflict with your supervisor?   Answer Question

Graduate Student Interview

Graduate Student

Interviewed at Queen's University

Interview Details – Contact with the supervisor first, match research interest and funding

Interview Question – Future research direction, working with projects as extra working load   Answer Question

Applications Advisor Interview

Applications Advisor

Interview Details – Two rounds with two different committees

Interview Question – we have all been declined for something in our life that we really wanted - how did it feel and how would you feel declining someone's application?   Answer Question

IT Testing Analyst Interview

IT Testing Analyst
Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Queen's University in June 2010.

Interview Details – Responded to Workoplis posting. Interview was scheduled. Interviewed with a group of people from various university departments and an external project manager. At the start of the interview the external project manager stated he did not feel this position was necessary which seemed strange. The other people interviewing asked relevant questions, listened to my answers and would ask follow-up questions as they saw fit. Their answers to my questions were polite and well thought out. With the exception of the external project manager's statement the tone of the interview was professional and polite while not being not overly formal.

I was contacted two weeks later and told the other candidate got the job. The reasons were strange as they felt I was more of a testing person and not a QA person, yet the job posting and questions were geared to the testing aspects of the position and QA was not mentioned once. I suspect an internal candidate got the job and I was used as a filler candidate to make the recruitment process seem fair.

Very Easy Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow Interview

Postdoctoral Fellow
Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied in-person and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Queen's University in February 2013.

Interview Details – Sending a CV to the potential supervisor or both after contacting to him/her by email. As everyone knows, it is very hard to get replies from professors so that you might need to ask your boss to contact to the professor otherwise they just ignore your email. After getting the response, you'll have an interview over Skype.

Science Graduate Student Interview

Science Graduate Student
Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Queen's University in November 2012.

Interview Details – Sent emails to professors that you are interested in working with. Then I had phone interviews with them, and email conversations as well, followed by the visit. Finally, we need to think about whether or not to take this position after the visit, and whether professors were also happy to take you. If yes, then you are hired.

Interview Question – I did not encounter any   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I stated what I would like to work with as a project in this group, my main interests.

Console Interview

Console

I applied online and interviewed at Queen's University.

Interview Details – very informal interview process, interviewer lacked any managerial skills - shouldn't have been in the position to conduct hiring

Research Associate Interview

Research Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at Queen's University in September 2009.

Interview Details – Invited to Interview and offered the opportunity to speak with someone closely related to area for any questions or queries I have before the interview. Was asked to deliver a short presentation using powerpoint, and deliver before being asked interview style questions, which assessed my abilities in previous roles and during my phd.

Interview Question – Are you used to working under high pressure?   View Answer

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Kingston, ON (Canada)

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Queen's University in March 2011.

Interview Details – You will be asked about our relevant experience and past experience. Questions about the project management, group conflicts, dealing with clients, working in teams and leadership experience. They took notes when you were talking. At the end you will have a chance to ask questions. The interviewer was really nice.

Interview Question – Do you have leadership experience? Provide your example.   Answer Question

Worked for Queen's University? Contribute to the Community!