Quicken Loans

Average Difficulty
80 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at Quicken Loans in December 2011.

Interview Details – Interview seemed to be going well, then you're expected to cold call someone and sell them a Direct TV package, which I wasn't at all prepared for and found it to be quite strange. I wasn't able to get the "actor" on the other line to buy it.

Interview Question – Less a mortgage banking and more of a sales job.   Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans in June 2014.

Interview Details – One phone call, a release of credit. Brings you to a face to face. The recruiter brought me in to a very nice qube office...I did my research on Quicken and the interviewer. Amazingly smart company, I could learn a ton from them.

Interview Question – the Quizzle phone sell. Five minutes to sound confident is a joke. What could I do had to roll with the punches... Flopped like a fish out of water.   View Answer

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online on 05/12/2014 and received a phone call from a recruiter the next day. Phone interview took about 15 minutes, mainly to discuss my roles with my prior employers also to discuss the demanding hours and dedication the Mortgage Banker position required. I then was contacted 45 minutes later by a Spanish speaking Recruiter to assure that I was indeed a fluent Spanish speaker. It basically consistent of the same process as the 1st phone interview. I was asked to complete a consent form for a background check, after that cleared I was called back to be invited for in-person interview (05/19) with the recruiter. (if that goes well you will be invited to meet a director that same day or very soon) I then met with the director of my potential team. That meeting was more personal, questions about my commute, kids, competitive spirit, and drive. Really to make sure you fit their culture. I then shadowed a MB for a couple hours and I was called within 24 hours with a verbal offer. (process: 1.Verbal offer 2. Reference check 3. Background check 4. Written Offer)

Interview Questions

• QL really tries to make the interview as smooth as possible, no questions were to difficult. The only challenge was the phone call to the recruiter to try to sale Quizzle. But if you have a sales background this process should come easy, if not practice selling something (anything, pen, paper etc.) selling water to bridge type of mentality   View Answer
  • Be ready to meet   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no room for negotiation...

Detroit, MI

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans in April 2012.

Interview Details – Just be your self. They are looking for people that are over the top sales experts. Quicken Just wants someone that they can teach. There is truly on need to have any sales experience. If you are confident and can show the recruiter that you can be instructed you will make the cut.

Interview Question – Explain a time when you had to influence some one to do something that they did not want to do.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans.

Interview Details – I initially applied on-line and received a phone call from a recruiter the next day. We did my phone interview at that time and it was about 20 minutes long. He asked what type of information I already heard about the company and why I was interested in the job. He was really easy to talk to. From there, he sent me an email requesting consent for a basic credit check. He called back the next day once that was completed to offer me an in-person interview for the next week. That interview last about an hour and a half. They really go over the whole job and training process, making sure you understand the requirements, especially in regards to the time commitment. You are asked to complete a mock sales call to another recruiter. I don't believe they will ever accept the offer you are to make but the test is really to see how easily you give up and how persuasive you can be without being pushy. I was told right away that I would be set-up with an interview with the RVP (Regional Vice-President) for the following week. That interview was a little more intensive. He wanted to make sure that I understood what the job entails and make sure that you have the correct personality type for the position. I was nervous that I wasn't going to get the job because he didn't offer to have me shadow any of the current bankers. Apparently, the RVP that I interviewed with just doesn't always have people do that and it didn't mean anything because I received a phone call 2 days later with a verbal offer. The official written offer comes after a full background check has been completed and all of your references have been contacted.

Interview Question – The interviews really weren't that difficult. Most of the questions were pretty standard. The mock sales call was the only aspect that was considerably different than other interviews I've had in the past.   Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans.

Interview Details – The interview process was fairly simple.

The first interview is a 30minute phone interview about your background, resume, and interest in Quicken, just to make sure you would fit into their culture.

The second interview is really just an extended version of the first one. However, they go much further into the specifics about the job, and make sure that you are willing to commit the large amount of time you will be expected to commit to Quicken. This interview lasts about an hour.

The third interview was an in-person interview with one of the hiring managers. He was very cool, very laid back, but also very passionate about Quicken Loans and the competitive culture that exists. After what felt like a regular conversation for about 30 minutes, he took me out onto the banking floor to get a first hand perspective about what working there might be like. The purchase bankers are very friendly, and the culture in there is truly amazing! It is, however, just a call-center on steroids.

The interview process is truly stress free, just have an idea of why you are interested in working at Quicken, and avoid talking about them being ranked as a top place to work too much (THAT'S TOO OBVIOUS).

Interview Question – No unexpected questions:

Why Quicken?
Are you willing to work weekends?
What would you do if you haven't closed a loan in weeks?
How do you work in teams, and what is your value in that team?
  Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The job did not match career aspirations of mine.

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Quicken Loans in April 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online and received a call from a recruiter within a few days. He only asked a few general questions then informed me he was sending an email with instructions for my in person interview. In the interview, the recruiter was very nice and the setting was pretty laid back. He asked for examples of situations like "a time at work I was faced with a challenge" and "how I would typically handle selling a product to a customer". I was then given a sheet with some basic information about Quickens company Quizzle. He gave me a few minutes to study it then I was to dial the number on the sheet and try to sell the product to the customer. It was a mock sales call and the person on the line was someone in the office. After the call, he came back in and explained the basics of the training process and pay rate. I've worked at the same place since high school so the interview process is still a little stressful but overall it was a fairly laid back interview.

Interview Question – The mock sales call was a little strange. I've dealt with customers on the phone for years but the fact that this call was set up and I knew very little about the product threw me off a bit.   Answer Question

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans.

Interview Details – Applied and was called the next day by a recruiter for a phone screening and then scheduled a face-to-face interview for the following day. I interviewed with the recruiter and I thought it went well - he asked me the basic interview questions and he outlined the job for me. He set me up to be interviewed by a Banking Director or Team Leader a couple days later. He was super laid-back and didn't make me feel nervous at all, just asked about my previous experience and why I wanted to work there. I asked him a couple questions about the job and then he took me down to the call floor where I sat with a banker and watched him work for about a half an hour and then my interview was over. They called me the next week and said they were going with other candidates and the recruiter recommended me for an internship.

Interview Question – At the end of the second interview with the recruiter I was asked to make a sales call to another employee in the building. The recruiter left me for about 5-7 minutes with some material to review and then I had to make a call. They repeatedly say you don't need any skills or sales experience to be hired but I kind of think that's bull. Anyway, I thought I did pretty all right for my first-ever sales call (but I didn't get offered the job so I might just think more highly of myself than Quicken Loans does).   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Detroit, MI

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans in April 2012.

Interview Details – Initial phone call to set up a 20 minute phone interview. If successful you will get called for a one on one interview where you will learn about the company, give answers about yourself and resume, and sell a cable package to the person your interviewing with. If you pass this step you will get called back one more time to do a sit and listen to some bankers and a final interview with a director and regional vice president or the site leader.

Interview Question – Tell me a reason why your mother or guardian growing up would tell me not to hire you?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiations you take it or leave it.

Detroit, MI

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Quicken Loans in February 2014.

Interview Details – This was a fairly extensive interview process, but luckily it moved pretty quickly. Initially I applied for a position through the website, and a recruiter contacted me almost instantly in December. However I am a college senior and was not graduating until May, so she told me she would get in contact with me again closer to my graduation date. In early February she called me and gave me some background information on the Mortgage Banking position including the hours and pay, and was very honest about the time commitment of the job. This is definitely not the job for you if you're looking to start a family in the next couple of years, because your income is based on commission so you need to be at work to make good money, which means you're probably going to work 55-65 hours a week.

I did a phone interview with the recruiter and she told me she would be in contact with me early March, however she actually contacted me the end of February which made me feel like they really wanted me to work there before I received any other offers from other companies before I graduated. She told me they were going to do a soft credit check, basically looking for forclousures or anything like that. After that, I was called by another recruiter to do a on-site interview. They provide validated parking so that was nice. They said the interview will be about an hour but mine was an hour and a half. The recruiter was AWESOME and was very honest about the position. You have to do a mock sales call about their sister company, Quizzle. The person you call also works on the recruiting team, and is aware why you're making the call. They will likely say they aren't interested, but your job is to help them become interested. It is not that hard because you get enough information about the company beforehand and you can read the facts off the sheet during the call so you don't have to make stuff up. The call disconnects after 5 minutes.

They told me after the interview that normally they consult with the recruiter team and decide whether or not you move on to round 3, but he told me right away that I was and I could do round 3, which is meeting with a director, that day if I wanted to. I decided to go for it and the director was definitley tougher but still nice. He had me do a mock sales thing with him too, but basically had to convince him to buy what I sold during my sales internship. He then had me shadow a mortgage banker to see what their calls were like and if I could handle it/like it. The whole time you're welcome to their food, drinks, whatever. Everyone was SO nice and welcoming. I felt like I left with friends from there already which was awesome! Their office was INCREDIBLE. I would say go for the on-site interview just so you can see how amazing it actually is in there!

They sent me home with 3-5 questions I needed to email to the director by midnight that night. Overall I was there for 3 hours which was exhausting but it was definitely a positive experience.

Interview Question – Name a time that was difficult for you other than death and how you overcame it.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – No negotiation at all on pay or benefits, but the benefits are good. They tell you upfront several times that it is commission based with a salary of $20,800, so you can't really complain.

Worked for Quicken Loans? Contribute to the Community!