Quicken Loans

1 Candidate Interview Review Back to all interviews

Technical Leadership Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Quicken Loans in December 2012.

Initial phone screen then 2 group interviews. Brief tour of the office, which was abuzz with activity. Strange and unusual were the interviews, I almost dropped out after the first group interview but then decided to see it through to see where it would go.

Constructive advice for QL is to remember that candidates are also interviewing you, especially those that have choices. There were several red flags -- here are the stranger ones. First, everyone introduced themselves by first names only and they didn't tell me how they fit in the organization. Never in my long career can I recall a business meeting where people really didn't want to tell me their full names. It seems to be a culture thing, but it isn't good business manners. Second -after 2 one hour meetings -I had no idea if anyone in the room would be my boss and if so, which person that would be. I would never take a job without a one on one with my new boss. Third - and most noteworthy - was that 4 out of 7 people didn't smile once in an hour. I don't think it is physically possible for me to go an hour without smiling. I don't know if that is just who they are or if they are stressed/unhappy there but the enthusiasm level was very low. That was of significant concern to me as there was really no attempt to sell me on the team/company. It was kind of assumed I would accept an offer without any persuasion on their part. Vast majority of people I interviewed over the years walked away excited because I pumped things up for them.

Interview Questions
  • None were really that hard although one guy challenged my answer and implied I was lying - because he misread my resume. Very unprofessional, they didn't invite him to the second interview and I hope that's the reason why. Be prepared for possible confrontations, there was an edge to many of the interviewers which I largely attribute to the fact they are young and relatively inexperienced.   Answer Question